NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-20-2009, 08:53 PM

Default OT: Couple of local kids leading their teams in post season

Benton, Arkansas and North Little Rock, Arkansas are the homes of Cliff Lee and AJ Burnett. Both pitchers are doing extremely well in the postseason and are leading to a lot of state pride as we watch them. In compiling an all time Arkansas list from Lou Brock to Bill Dickey to George Kell to Brooks Robinson etc. the one position that has come up a little short is on the mound. Sure we have Dizzy Dean but no other HOFs despite some pretty good pitchers like Johnny Sain, Preacher Roe, Ellis Kinder, Lon Warneke, etc.
Nice to see some local kids doing well.

Last edited by tbob; 10-20-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 PM

I like to call him Cy Lee here in Philly. My god can that kid pitch! I am hopeful that we can keep him beyond next year but I'm not optimistic. The Phillies are reluctant to give pitchers deals beyond 3 years and Cliff will no doubt get paid. Hopefully he enjoys his time here and that plays into it.

PS. I was at the game last night and I doubt I'll ever be at a more exciting game, just incredible.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Bob....re..Cliff Lee

Leaving the National this summer, I got a cab to the airport. The cab driver asked me where I was heading ?
I told him back to Pennsylvania. He asked me if I root for the Phillies and I said....yes.
Well, he said...."this is your lucky day....we (Cleveland) just handed you the NL pennant."

"How's that ?"....I asked him. He replied, "Cliff Lee", and he couldn't say enough good things about Lee.

My 1st thoughts were....how will he do in the NL ? Well, Cliff has lived up to all the expectations that my
astute cab driver, that day in August, said he would.

Thanks, Arkansas

TED Z
Old 10-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Dustan Hedlin

While I did not grow up in the town in which I currently reside, I am about a 45 second drive from JA Happ's high school. Although I'm not a Phillies fan, it is pretty nice to see him doing so well.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 AM

TBOB,

I think we call now call Cliff Lee as the "greatest Razorback ever". For such a small southern state, Arkansas has produced some great talent. Don't forget that Torii Hunter of Pine Bluff is also in the ALCS. Some other talent Arkansans ommitted from your list is Sherm Lollar, Travis Jackson and Floyd "Arky" Vaughan. Unfortunately, my birthplace of Jacksonville has only produced a Football HOFer in Dan Hampton.

Wooo Pig Sooiee Razorback!

James
Old 10-21-2009, 01:45 PM

Hi James! Don't forget pre-war guys like Aaron Ward of the NY Highlanders and Yankees, Detroit's Boss Schmidt of Coal Hill, Arkansas and lots of more recent players like Rick Monday, Sherm Lollar, Wally Moon, Don Kessinger, Alex Johnson, Tommy McCraw, Ellis Valentine, Kevin McReynolds, etc.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:21 PM
C.o.e

Being that my Alma Mater is the Razorbacks it makes me proud for the state to be represented in the way that Lee is playing and also the fact I was born in the same home town of Benton as Lee. Also lets not forget Scottie Pippen and Corliss Williamson. I will second you James in saying
Wooo Pig Sooiee Razorbacks!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:26 PM

And don't forget Sidney Moncrief, Ron and Ronnie Brewer, Jim King, Joe Caldwell, Michael Cage and Keith Lee!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseball View Post
Being that my Alma Mater is the Razorbacks it makes me proud for the state to be represented in the way that Lee is playing and also the fact I was born in the same home town of Benton as Lee. Also lets not forget Scottie Pippen and Corliss Williamson. I will second you James in saying
Wooo Pig Sooiee Razorbacks!
Corliss Williamson, Scotty Thurman, Corey Beck, Clinton McDaniel and Dwight Stewart, thanks so much for some of the best memories of my life. Ever hear of the town of Hiwasse in Benton County? My family founded Van Buren, Arkansas and started the first newspaper there.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:15 PM
C.o.e

I know of Hiwasse but I have never been there, that is cool about Van Buren I am about a hour north of Van Buren. What is significant about Hawasse?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseball View Post
I know of Hiwasse but I have never been there, that is cool about Van Buren I am about a hour north of Van Buren. What is significant about Hawasse?
Hiwasse population 180 is birthplace of my grandmum and four of my great uncles.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:29 PM
C.o.e

That is cool. My Grandmother, Dad and Great Uncle all are from next to Swifton,Ar very small town also and my great uncle was good friends with George Kell and he helped to coach my dads little league team back in the day. I guess that is a little side track but I guess it relates to the board somehow.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Johnny Sain

In terms of pitcher's, one of Arkansas favorite son's is the unheralded Johnny Sain. He doesn't have the numbers to be a HOFer;
however, Johnny was a winner with whatever team he wore the uniform of.

His career was cut short because of WWII, but he still achieved a 139-116 Won-Lost record (1942-1955) with the Boston Braves
and the NY Yankees. And, late in his career, he became a very effective relief pitcher. Furthermore, he was a pretty good hitting
pitcher.

Anyhow, how many are aware of how effective Sain was as a pitching coach. He coached the New York Yankees (1961-63) to
championships. Then he coached Minnesota (1965-66) to the AL championship. Followed by Detroit (1967-69), where Sain was
credited for their 1968 championship. The Chicago White Sox (1971-75), and the Atlanta (1977, 1985-86). Under his stewardship,
15 pitchers won 20 games in a season; and, 10 of his pitchers led their league in victories.

One of the best tributes to Sain is noted by Goose Gossage (in his book), where Gossage credits Sain for his success as a relief
pitcher.

TRIVIA......
Johnny Sain has achieved something in World Series play that no other pitcher in BB has....what is it ?

TED Z
Old 10-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

AJ is leading 'em tonight alright.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:05 AM

Yeah, too bad Phil Hughes choked and kept AJ from getting a win.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Barry Sloate

Say, what's the deal with most of this World Series scheduled for November? Do they really need to drag things out this long?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:12 AM

Bud Seligula would drag the dang thing into February if he had his way. Worst. Commish. Ever.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:27 PM

Met Brooks Robinson today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brooksauto.jpg (76.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 10-24-2009, 07:50 PM
FredYoung

Ted--

I guess no-one can answer your Sain question, including me! What is the answer???
Old 10-28-2009, 09:33 PM

The Arkansas flamethrower pitched 8 scoreless innings tonight to beat the Yankees in Game 1 of the WS.
Way to go Cliff!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 PM
David McDonald

"Johnny Sain has achieved something in World Series play that no other pitcher in BB has....what is it ?"
It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is http://tinyurl.com/yj27mtk
Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 AM

The other Arkie, AJ Burnett goes tonight. If he is getting his curve over for strikes, I look for a similar performance like Cliff's.
I had the chance to watch Cliff Lee pitch numerous times for the Razorbacks but Burnett signed right out of high school so other than TV, I haven't been able to see him pitch.
We have other former Hogs on the path to the Bigs on the mound: Nick Schmidt with the Padres, Jess Todd who bounced around with the Cards and Indians this year and a guy who was our catcher a few years back who was converted in to a closer and tore up AAA this year, Blake Parker who could be the Cubs' closer of the future with his 96 mph heater and good slider.

Last edited by tbob; 10-29-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:13 PM

AJ was great last night. Now with the series tied I can go back to watching the games without having a dog in the hunt until Lee and Burnett pitch again
Old 10-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Jim R

nice trip down memory lane David McD.