NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default Negro League Info.

Posted By: Colt McClelland

Does anyone know of any sets issued featuring negro league players?

Also, is there any good list/database for major league cards of former negro league players?

Old 11-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: one-in-ten

There are a lot of sets with Negro leaguers, most of them Latin American. Go to cubanbaseballcards.com for a primer and, if you're interested in picking up some cards, you're in luck because the same site has an auction that has just begun. I've been working on a master list of Negro league players but it's tough work. After integration, a lot of them scattered into the minor leagues and pop up in a lot of obscure minor league issues from the 40's and 50's. There are even Japanese cards picturing a few Negro Leaguers. Ryan, Andy Baran and Matt Goebbel, and Kenneth Cole as well as many other board members are very knowledgeable and generous with their knowledge when it comes to this stuff. When you see the Billiken Oscar Charleston and Pop Lloyd cards, you'll be hooked. Good luck,

--Chad

Old 11-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

There have been several sets produced which feature Negro League players. Some recent Topps issues include this, Larry Fritsch produces a set of these cards, Cuban cards have numerous Negro Leaguers portrayed and cards by Bowman, Topps, and others from the late 40s thru the early '60s showed players who spent time in the Negro Leagues.

The first question to ask yourself before you start could be "do I only want cards which were issued during the period the Negro Leaguerer was active in the Negro League?"

or

Am I interested in cards of ex-Negro Leaguers who made the transition to the Majors; and do I only want cards of these players which were issued during their MLB career?

or

Do I just want cards of these players independent of the two considerations cited above?

or

other?

Old 11-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: one-in-ten

I didn't even consider the Topps/Fleer etc. tribute/memorial/historical cards!

--Chad

Old 11-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

The best I've seen are the subsets of the '93 and '94 Ted Williams Card Co. historical sets - high-quality beautiful sets, available at low prices. Only problem is one of the sets has the Derek Jeter rookie, which might inflate it slightly.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt Goebel

As Chad indicated earlier in the thread, Ryan is the best source of info so check out his website. I would also be happy to answer any questions you have about Cuban and Puerto Rican cards of Negro Leaguers, so feel free to E-mail me any time.

Matt

Old 11-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

Like Matt, I'll answer any questions I can.

Kenny Cole

Old 11-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Administrator

I have most of the available publications for Negro Leagues history, so I can readily look up player info if anyone needs it.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

I'm always willing to help as well. I have lots of scans of cards of Negro Leaguers from my collection on my website. Just look it up in the links section of this web page.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Hey, I do have a Negro Leagues card - a Josh Gibson Toleteros, 2nd edition "after career" card.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Colt McClelland

Thanks for all of the responses. Ryan's web sight was particularly helpful.

Are there any cards of Buck O'Neil out there? I am from Kansas City, so I am especially interested in his cards. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Colt,

Here are scans of his two cards:

The first one is a 1946-47 Almanaque Deportivo card of Darryl Strawberry...or Buck. Hard to tell.

The second is a 1946-47 Felices (commonly known as Caramelo Deportivo) which is actually not bigger than the other card, in spite of the larger scan.

Both were issued in Cuba.

That's all he's got for cards.

Hope that helps,

-Ryan

Old 11-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt Goebel

It always strikes me that there is an abundance of KC Monarchs in the Cuban/Puerto Rican sets:

1920's-
Frank Duncan
Dobie Moore
Rube Currie
Jose Mendez
Heavy Johnson
Andy Cooper
Bartolo Portuondo
and even Torriente

1940's-
Hilton Smith
Willard Brown
Chet Brewer
Jim Lamarque
Booker McDaniels
John Ford Smith
Barney Serrell
Jesse Williams
Bob Thurman
Herb Souell
Louis Louden
Earl Taborn

I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few others.