NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
As a side note, I live pretty close to Weiser and have been there several times. At one point in time (about the time Walter Johnson was there) there were Opium Dens, whore houses and something like one bar to every 30 residents
Sounds like my kind of town... I mean for the baseball history.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:05 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Anybody know what the "deal" is with Walter's long-sleeve undershirt??? I mean, the stripes on the right and left sleeves look different. Also, the left sleeve appears "raised" in the forearm area (like he's wearing something under the sleeve)...Just wondering...It's a super cool postcard...
Old 03-30-2016, 02:34 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
Anybody know what the "deal" is with Walter's long-sleeve undershirt??? I mean, the stripes on the right and left sleeves look different. Also, the left sleeve appears "raised" in the forearm area (like he's wearing something under the sleeve)...Just wondering...It's a super cool postcard...
The stripes look the same. I think it's just the lighting. It's a small light colored band on each side with a darker color in the center.

The "bump" in the sleeve looks like where the shirt sleeve meets the cuff... just a long-ish cuff.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:54 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
The stripes look the same. I think it's just the lighting. It's a small light colored band on each side with a darker color in the center.

The "bump" in the sleeve looks like where the shirt sleeve meets the cuff... just a long-ish cuff.
Thank you.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:08 PM
Larry

[QUOTE=Hankphenom;1520290]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Due to the 1907 postage stamp, this card has ZERO ambiguity with regard to its 1907 origin. Not surprised at all with the price, and I firmly believe its new owner got a great deal in lieu of that March 1907 stamp.

JoeT.[/QUOTE

So the consensus seems to be that 24K was a good deal for the buyer. I must be out of the loop on postcards, that seems like a lot to me, even for such a great card. How many postcards have gone that high, and what are some comparables?
It won't be too long before Cobb's 1907 Dietsche Fielding Pose and 1907 Wolverine News rookie postcards (especially the portrait, which has already traded hands twice at approximately $11K in Ex) look like a tremendous bargain at that price. I heard at the 2015 National that a Dietsche Fielding Pose Cobb in Ex went for $8K right around that time. Both quite rare, with significance beyond enormous. Postcards are baseball cards like any others--no different at all from Topps without the gum! As someone recently said on this forum, they are "near-sacred relics that enable the collector to connect physically with the game's heroes and traditions." I like to think of them as two dimensional slices of a single moment in a player's three dimensional life and career.

Re the Johnson, the buyer, long-term, got a bargain, IMHO.

May collecting bring you great joy as you hold the very history of the game right in your own two hands,

Larry
Old 03-30-2016, 04:16 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
For an unsigned postcard, this one..http://catalog.scpauctions.com/CIRCA...-LOT10864.aspx. Suspect it would bring far more than 22K if sold today.
Agreed--figure on at least $40-$50K, IMO. Baseball cards connect you to the player and take you back to the time, and that attribute is enhanced with the quality of the visual image of the player. Some of the best of the latter appeared on postcards, versus rather crudely colored drawings/images of the players of early times on regular cards of the same vintage.

May your collecting fare well,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 03-30-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:22 PM
Hank Thomas

Any guesses on what the Johnson card would do in a big auction?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:39 PM

Default Johnson RPPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Any guesses on what the Johnson card would do in a big auction?
If appropriately marketed, $35/$40K would not surprise me at all....maybe more if a war develops between 2/3 collectors with a "must have" attitude. We've seen it happen so many times before. Bottom line is...find another one with a 1907 cancellation date!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:46 PM
Graig Kreindler

Not for nothing, but I'd kill to paint that image!