NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-27-2003, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Default Is it time for a new Forum?

Posted By: TBob

I am really getting aggravated by the new popup on this site which completely fills your computer screen with an ad for "getting rid of annoying popups and spyware." THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS !!!! It changes your homepage on Internet Explorer when you get rid of it. Complete nuisance. Maybe just AOL users are suffering, I am not sure. The new AOL filter and pop up blocker seems to take care of everything except this new creature of malevolence. A real pain in the ass. It comes on after you read a couple of posts.

Old 12-28-2003, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Bob:

This is not just ann AOL problem comes in 25% of the time I open forum. Google tool bar and Panic ware seem to block all others, but this one seems to be in opening command. I just close internet and reopen. You are right if you try anything with popup it resets you home page to their crap.

Old 12-28-2003, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Morrie

I use a different browser on each computer (netscape on one, mozilla on the other), and each of their built-in pop-up blockers eats this thing for lunch. I've never had a problem with it. It sounds like it may be exploiting some sort of IE loophole, since that's the core browswer for AOL as well.

Imagine. Microsoft products being exploitable...

Old 12-28-2003, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

That damned spyware pop-up hijacked my computer to the point I had to reboot. If that happens again, I will have to take an hiatus from participation in this forum.

Old 12-28-2003, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: shammus

I've been getting this too, mine goes as far as filling the entire screen with an ad you can't close unless you get rid of it through your task bar. It pops my CDRom drive open somehow and changes my homepage on internet explorer so if I accidentally open a new browser, it goes right to the ad again to where the process repeats itself. You mean this is a part of Net 54? I just figured this was one of Kazaa's popup gizmos again....

Old 12-28-2003, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

this happened to me this morning aswell and i promptly fowarded the homepage to the ftc. such tactics are against the law and several companies are now being prosecuted by the govt for such. you can contact the ftc at

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

Old 12-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

Net 54 is not being very discriminating about the pop-ups that they allow.

Re-booting will normally not fix the problem since the spyware changes your default home-page as well. For Internet Explorer users, choose "Tools/Internet Options...", then change your homepage back.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Nickinvegas

I would suggest using the free version of Pop-up stoper(link attached). The integrated pop up software that comes bundled with AOl and Cox cable does not work! I use the latest version of Internet Exlorer with the pop up stoper and I have no problems. It is important to disable/remove previously used pop-up software before using the Pop-up stoper.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an e-mail I will try to help.

Regards,
Nick

http://download.com.com/3000-7786-10246779.html?tag=lst-0-3

Old 12-28-2003, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

This happens to me, as well, but I just close it using the X in the upper right, and it goes away. It has remained full screen once, where I had to use task manager to kill, but not most of the time. I haven't seen it today. Also, it never touches my homepage. I'm using AOL and IE, and popup stopper, which gets most everything else. I also use sypbot, which I think may include a prevention of re-setting home page from the web.

Old 12-28-2003, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I "kill" it with the X and seem to have no problems. It did force me to use the ctrl-alt-delete trick once to shut it off, and my McAfee protection seems to have caught it trying some nastiness with my computer two times, and stopped it there.

I love the forum, but the N54 garbage has gotten worse. Is anyone still getting that 3/4 screen demand from GAIN?

Old 12-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

I have a pop-up blocker that works great plus I have the "Free" Zone alarm that asks you if you want to let anything into your computor that you have not authorized. I have a pop-up blocker that keeps count. So far, in the last 6 months it has blocked 1128 of them and I think over half came from this forum... No big deal though.. It's fun to watch them get blocked every 2 minutes.

Old 12-28-2003, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I still say it time to move to a new host that has search functions. I have no problem kicking in some money to make this happen. I have 3 firewalls and 2 pop-up stoppers running and I still get the occasional pop-up breaking thru here. Nothing as nasty as you guys ahve reposrted, but it really is getting to the point where is not worth dealing with garbage.

the nice thing with going with a pay host is that we can also get our won domain with it too, making taht much easier for people to find us.

If a bunch a gamers can afford to pay for a hosted message board, then we certainly can afford it. I'm pretty sure we ahve a lot more money among us then a bunch of gamer

Jay

Old 12-29-2003, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Cowan

Everyone I am a constant lurker to the board but find the content here more valuable than most of you can possibly know.

I am willing to offer a discussion board with search functionality off my web site. There is one catch. The web site is www.vintagecardboard.com my site is quasi commercial and I feel that this might be a conflict of interest. To overcome that I will offer the board the resources but will not moderate the board. I would request that someone or various people take the responsiblity of managing the content of the forum. My goal would be that the group has a site that is reliable and has no advertising and the cost would remain free. I would benefit as I would not have to look at all of the popups etc. that Network54 has been adding.

I welcome any of you to email me and we can discuss this.

Thanks again for all the information the past few years. I hope I can help continue the conversations.

Scott Cowan

Old 12-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Scott, that sounds like a reasonable solution to me. It is apparent that, if left to our own devices, there would never be a new board. I would think you would know how to technically maintain a board better than anyone here. If this happens and Elliot wishes, I say Elliot stay as moderator.

And to vouch for his charector and life experience, I note that Scott is the only board member who has met Henry in person.

Old 12-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Cowan

David,

Thanks! I hope Henry is doing well!

I would be happy to have Elliot be the moderator. I don't have the time to provide the oversite the board needs to be successful. I do have the skills to make the forum run from the technical side. If enough of you express interest I will setup a forum to show what I can do and we can tweak it etc.....

Just let me know. If there is not enough interest that is fine too. I just don't want to see this board go away.... it is too valuable for many of us.

Scott

Old 12-29-2003, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nickinvegas

Scott,
I understand there is some message board software that will allow you to import the information(ie. all of our current net54 threads) to a new board service.

Is that part of the plan? I would hate to see the information posted on this board lost.

Nick

Old 12-29-2003, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DonaldJohnson

Downloaded the blocker you recommended and it seems to work great! Blocks about 99% of the pop-ups on this site!

-Don

Old 12-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: three25hits

Thanks for the great offer.

I don't post much, but I am a heavy lurker. This site's spyware downloads are nearly to much to deal with. I am constantly using spybot to undue the network54 damage and its becoming not worth the effort.

If we could keep Elliot as moderator, but find a less dangerous place to host the threads, I would be very much in favor.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Count me in for a change. I am new here but the pop ups are out of control.

Paul

Old 12-31-2003, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jw

i use the free edition of panicware to block pop-ups. it seems to be effective for all of my web surfing.
hoping this works for you iam
sincerely,
jw