NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Default Scarcest 20TH Century Baseball Card Set

Posted By: Richard

Greetings, I was wondering if anyone knows what is considered the scarcest Baseball card set issue in the 20TH Century? (1900-1999) I know of many scarce and rare sets,however, I want to get the consensus of my fellow pre-war collectors.
Thank You

Old 04-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

the 1917 White Sox team set would have to be one of them along with the Allagany(sp?) cards since there is only one known example of each card.

Jay

Old 04-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Technically speaking, any of the recent 1-of-1 insert sets would be the rarest, both because there can only possibly be one set and because few of the sets have been completed by a single collector.

On the other hand, it might be said that a 2002 1-of-1 card isn't rare when there are 20,000 different 1998-2004 1-of-1 cards, and another 7,000 to be produced next year. Unique and one-of-a-kind not being the same thing.

An example of a rare vintage set is the 1923 Maple Crispette. While most of the cards are scarce but available, there is (as far as I know) only one known Casey Stengle, transplating to one (as far as I know) possible complete set (as far as I know and so I've been told and the fact of the matter is that's the bottom line. If you know what I mean).

Old 04-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

if some of these one-known-example sets from the prewar period were ever actually issued to the public. what proof do we have that the Alleghany and similar sets are anything more than proofs or phantoms?

Old 04-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: AdamBaxter

T231 Fan Cigarettes. It's not really a set, just a couple of known examples. Lew Lipset was vouching for the rarity of the issue way back in the early 80's. At that time, only a photocopy of one card (Carson Bigbee) existed from an unknown source. There are now 2 known as Frank "Homerun" Baker was found and I believe Leon owns that one. Does anyone know if an actual copy of Bigbee ever made it into the hobby or is the photocopy still the only known example of that card?

Old 04-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Along the same lines that David mentioned, a complete set of US Caramels would be unique since there is only one known Freddy Lindstrom card.

Jay

Old 04-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Your point is a good one, Adam.

For example, many of the toughest Topps odd ball issues were not finished cards (were proofs, pre-production), sold to the public and, in many peoples' minds, don't qualify as trading cards.

I think the best sets for the hobby, like the 33 Goudey and T206, have most cards readily available so every collector can join in on the fun, but have one or more rarities that make a complete set difficult.

Old 04-15-2004, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Art M.

Jay -
I know of two 1932 U.S. Caramel Freddy Lindstrom cards. Larry Fritsch owns/used to own BOTH.
Art

Old 04-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Administrator

I assume that the second one turned up in the 90s, since prior to that, there was only one. I keep forgetting that I have a 10 year gap in my knowledge and a lot of cards were discovered in that time frame and I still learning about them.

Anyone have a synopsis of major pre-WW2 finds during the 90s?

Jay

Old 04-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

'55 Felins Franks are a challenge.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

the 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken $%^&face card is probably the scarcest.........

Old 04-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Boston Garter - the checklist on the back is the only proof that some cards were made
Darby Chocolates - less than 50 total?
Lections - rare, although there are some complete sets
Holland Creameries - only one Peckinpaugh is known to exist
D303 Mothers Bread - if the checklist is the same for D303 General Baking, a lot have never been seen

Old 04-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

I believe that the D303 Niagra Baking issue is probably one of the rarest issues... I can't say as I know anyone else that actually owns one of these

Old 04-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

These are my opinions of some tough sets to complete in the 20th century category. Again, only my opinion.

Felin's Franks are extremely tough. I have only seen a handful in the last twenty years. Heck, I still dont have a complete listing of Phillies from these!!

Darby Chocolates are very tough although they seem to pop up more often than the Felins Franks. There is a complete box in the Robert Edwards Auction.

1912 and 1914 Boston Garter...those are very difficult.

1924 Diaz cigs. are rather tough. Out of country issue but still counts in my book.

1911 Ju-Ju Drum...only seen a handful in the last few decades.

1911 T-205 Drum set (if we are to include different backs). And if anyone has an poor example they want to sell...

1971 House of Jazz...I own a few but have not seen any on ebay or at large shows for years.

1912 L1 Leathers...I see stars of these but try finding a common like Dooin or Magee!

1949 Lummis peanut butter...tough regional.

T-214 Victory...still looking for a Magee...tough cards to come by. Would like to know if he is pictured as a Phillie.

1937 Wheaties small...these were on the single serving size and in he last few years have only seen the same one offered over and over again. Tough issue.

That Allegeheny card set I still believe is one of a kind. I should have bought the Phillies from it a few year back at the National when they were going for something reasonable. I still think it was a promo or gift and not issued widely so I dont really count it.

Old 04-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

In response to the "Lections complete sets" post above... I thought that when I found the 40 or so of them late last year, there were a few unknowns in the lot. I don't believe there would be any complete sets then, but I could be wrong... As for the Boston Garter's - I was shocked with the very nice offering in the Robert Edwards auction.

Old 04-17-2004, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pstewart@kmob.com

Other extremely tough sets that have not yet been mentioned are the E125 die cuts, the E222 Virginia League players, and both Clement Brothers sets.

Old 04-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tbob

is the 1919 T213-3 Coupon factory overprinted back set. To my knowledge none exist. I have seen only 6 different examples over the years and only own 1, a John McGraw. I sold a Ty Cobb a few years ago to a board member.

Old 04-17-2004, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I would think the rarest ACC catalogued set would be the T231 Fans Cigarettes. Two copies known of and only 1 known (whereabouts) from the set. As far as I know there is only one known "complete" set (40) of Western Playgrounds too. Many of the sets mentioned have NO known complete sets so are they really sets? (Maybe so, just not complete.) best regards

Old 04-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Leon, you can't claim to own the complete Fans Cigarettes set until you own both the Baker and the Xerox pictured in the Standard Catalog. It' a crossover set, as the Bigbee is also sought after by vintage office supply collectors.

Old 04-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett

All the sets that are being mentioned are extremely rare, being that most cards being mentioned are one of a kind. I have to echo the thoughts of Tbob on this one though. The T213-3 (with factory #8 overprint) are extremely tough. I have owned two, an Eddie Collins that I sold several years ago on ebay to a board member, and I currently own a Chief Bender. Other than those I have only ever seen 3 (I think) commons for sale by Tbob on ebay a few years back, and I saw the one (Rube Marquard) Frank Ward won on ebay a few months back (but only after the auction had ended). Easily one of the toughest sets that has not gotten nearly its share of recognition, which seems funny to me because most tobacco rarities are quite expensive. How much are people paying for Broadleaf 460's and Drum's when you see those far more often?