NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Default Vintage Trimmed/Altered Cards...whats the future hold?

Im torn.

Need your guys opinions on the matter.

How do we judge what the value is of this cards for the future?

For example, i see pre-war cards, that if not "trimmed" would grade in the 6-8 categories.

Ex...If a 6-8 grades out at a value between 4,000 and 17,000...how do we judge the true value of a slightly "trimmed" card"?

How will the collecting public view it ,5, 10 20 years from now?

Is now a great time to get these at a good price, because of time/rarity of high quality cards, trimmed or not?

Would love to hear your guys feedback...as its always great to hear!~
Old 03-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Matt Wieder

I can't speak to the future, but I have several trimmed cards in my collection. I find them a great way to get the eye appeal of a NR-MT card at a fraction of the cost.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I can see the future... less emphasis on the number grade, more tolerance for alterations.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Years ago, I bought a 34 Goudey #37 Lou Gehrig. My favorite card of all time. It had the appearance of an ex-mt card, beautiful color clean front and back. When PSA sent it back as trimmed, I was devastated. The guy who sold it to me was in the wind and I was pissed. I guess I was a purist in those days. I sold it for a few hundred bucks. I am much less picky today and selling that Gehrig has become my biggest regret as a collector. As long as I know what I am getting, trimmed cards can be fine.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
I can see the future... less emphasis on the number grade, more tolerance for alterations.
I think just the opposite. One of the main drivers of the grading phenomenon was the ability to weed out (most of) the hard-to-detect alterations. As long as grading becomes more and more popular, trimming and other alterations stand to get less and less tolerable.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I think just the opposite. One of the main drivers of the grading phenomenon was the ability to weed out (most of) the hard-to-detect alterations. As long as grading becomes more and more popular, trimming and other alterations stand to get less and less tolerable.
There is a difference between nefarious alterations done to deceive and obviously altered cards and their level of acceptance by collectors in general.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Barry Sloate

Collectors will accept trimmed cards if they look nice, are clearly identified, and are cheap. Otherwise, they hold little appeal.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Joe M.

Myself, I don't like trimmed cards and don't buy them unless really necessary. I do have an authentic Old Judge though.

Joe
Old 03-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
There is a difference between nefarious alterations done to deceive and obviously altered cards and their level of acceptance by collectors in general.
Maybe in form, but not substance. Either way they will always command a very small percentage of the value of the card in its unaltered state.

@SignedT206
Old 03-19-2010, 03:25 PM

I have a pretty big collection and stay away from trimmed cards.

My one exception are my 500 or so trimmed Old Judges.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Clayton

When I see a trimmed or altered T206 for sale,most of the time I move right past it without much thought.Some people don't mind them,but I do.I agree that there a lot of trimmed cards with great eye appeal,but I can't bring myself to purchase one.
The exception for me would probably be "the big 6 " of the T206 set-strictly due to not being able to afford one that pulled a numerical grade.
Or,cards so rare it doesn't matter the grade-as long as it's authentic-period.
But why buy a T206 common with an "A" when it's not that costly to buy that same T206 common in a V/G range?
To each his/her own..........

Regards,Clayton
Old 03-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Maybe in form, but not substance. Either way they will always command a very small percentage of the value of the card in its unaltered state.

Maybe, but I am talking about a pure collecting standpoint. Some people would rather have a slightly trimmed EXMTish looking card rather than a full bordered one with a tack hole in it or multiple nasty looking creases. I do agree that altered cards for the most part will always sell for a fraction of their full-bodied counterparts.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Jeff

And further, despite what we think we probably all have more altered cards than we think we do.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
And further, despite what we think we probably all have more altered cards than we think we do.

Altered...

I dont want to dramatize here, but isnt every card "altered" that isnt Mint?

I mean, its either altered by nature, time, handling, or on purpose, but in the end...its altering its original "cut"...

would it better server the PSAs and SGC's to lessen the grade for lets say "trimming" and say - 2

or filling of coloring - 2

just a thought...
Old 03-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
...Some people would rather have a slightly trimmed EXMTish looking card rather than a full bordered one with... multiple nasty looking creases.
I'm one of those.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Paul

Quote:
Maybe, but I am talking about a pure collecting standpoint. Some people would rather have a slightly trimmed EXMTish looking card rather than a full bordered one with a tack hole in it or multiple nasty looking creases.
Of course, but isn't more likely that the "slightly trimmed EXMTish looking card" was the one that was trimmed nephariously?

@SignedT206
Old 03-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Of course, but isn't more likely that the "slightly trimmed EXMTish looking card" was the one that was trimmed nephariously?
I'm not talking about a micro-trim but rather a card that has been on a obvious diet.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about a micro-trim but rather a card that has been on a obvious diet.
would that be like the left or the right bottom cut into, so as to get it in a sheet...

like this one?

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=19782
Old 03-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
would that be like the left or the right bottom cut into, so as to get it in a sheet...

like this one?

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=19782
Maybe somethng a little more obvious like this one. But your example is interesting. It is @ $700 already + Buyer's Premium, the VCP avg. for a PSA1 of the same card is $718.

Last edited by HRBAKER; 03-19-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Maybe somethng a little more obvious like this one. But your example is interesting. It is @ $700 already + Buyer's Premium, the VCP avg. for a PSA1 of the same card is $718.

look at these 2! explain this one

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...px?itemid=3879
Old 03-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Clayton

Hey Jeff-Isn't that Bender card a hand cut card?

In the case of hand cut cards,that would also be an exception for me to buy a card with an "A" on it........
Old 03-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Many collectors feel good about having trimmed cards in their possession, especially those T206s graded PSA 7, 8 and 9
Old 03-19-2010, 05:33 PM

Default Authentic Trimmed

See my post on PSA Authentic--Authentics should have a reason for card being so degignated. Then we all can make a better decision for ourselves. A killer eye-appeal card with a slight trim is much more appealing than a PSA 1 that looks like it was in the spokes of a bike.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Default trim

Hey, tbob. Don't kid yourself: I'm sure quite a few altered cards reside in SGC holders also.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Clayton

I guess if you are buying a trimmed/altered card to fill holes in your collection and do not care much about it from an investment point of view,go for it.

If you look at your cards as an investment,you may want to realize that your return down the road may not be much with trimmed/altered cards.I don't think trimmed/altered cards are going to somehow become more valuable in the future than they are now-just my opinion.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
I guess if you are buying a trimmed/altered card to fill holes in your collection and do not care much about it from an investment point of view,go for it.

If you look at your cards as an investment,you may want to realize that your return down the road may not be much with trimmed/altered cards.I don't think trimmed/altered cards are going to somehow become more valuable in the future than they are now-just my opinion.

I wouldn't disagree with that. Some say the most expensive card in the hobby is altered.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
Hey Jeff-Isn't that Bender card a hand cut card?

In the case of hand cut cards,that would also be an exception for me to buy a card with an "A" on it........

It's hand cut alright but it shouldn't be.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Clayton

That's funny Jeff ,,I've never trimmed a card before,but I think I could do a better job than that
Old 03-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Jim D

maybe the guy who trimmed it was on a "BENDER"

(ok this one is weak, but its the best i got)

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:33 PM
pete ullman

Personally...I really don't like trimmed cards...I have 1 or 2 in my collection...but I plan to sell them soon. I'd much rather have a g-vg in presentable shape...than an ex-mt looking hack job...to each their own.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whycough View Post
Hey, tbob. Don't kid yourself: I'm sure quite a few altered cards reside in SGC holders also.
I agree. I used the PSA 7, 8 and 9 T206s as an example because a lot of suspicious looking beauties made their way in to PSA holders before SGC was off and running in pre-war cards.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:34 PM
James Gallo

I think it depends on the card. I think for common stuff I would just prefer a nice grade card, however if money was tight then having some pretty looking cards might be a better way to go.

On rare and highly desirable stuff I see these cards increasing in value and demand, but I don't see them ever getting higher then the G-VG price of an unaltered card. When you can buy a card for 1000-2000 that looks like and 8-10K card it opens the market up to more people. Regardless to what people may think there are A LOT more people able and willing to spend 1-2K on a card then 8-10K.

Recently I think the altered T206 Wagner and Planks have proven this.

James G
Old 03-20-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
I think it depends on the card. I think for common stuff I would just prefer a nice grade card, however if money was tight then having some pretty looking cards might be a better way to go.

On rare and highly desirable stuff I see these cards increasing in value and demand, but I don't see them ever getting higher then the G-VG price of an unaltered card. When you can buy a card for 1000-2000 that looks like and 8-10K card it opens the market up to more people. Regardless to what people may think there are A LOT more people able and willing to spend 1-2K on a card then 8-10K.

Recently I think the altered T206 Wagner and Planks have proven this.

James G

i wonder how the value will follow hte graded cards..

for example like the ruth goudey....not the rarest card, but high demand..

if the EXt-NM, grows in value over the next 10-15 years to lets say $12,000-$14,000.....the altered version....$2,000? $3,000? $4,000?

how does it follow?