NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2019, 06:14 PM
John Startleman

Edit - didn't realize what happened here.

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 06-08-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:15 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
I just noticed something:

If you look at the scan of the PSA 9 from 10 years ago (Heritage), the white spot on Stan's left sleeve is NOT there. This matches with the PSA 10 scan.

So, on the scan from 2017 of the reholdered PSA 9, the visible white spot must simply be a speck of dust either on the slab, or on the scanner.

It would be interesting to know if the black dot in the left upper front border of the card is actually there on the PSA 10. Some scanners, depending on the setting, are known to automatically take out extraneous dots, due to their auto-correct functions.

Steve
Here's 3.5X, the black dot is barely visible while there's and extra one lower

Old 06-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I don't know the OP, though he seems like a good guy and I sincerely hope he gets the restitution he's looking for. That said, it's impossible to convince me that he and his ilk aren't the source of this entire problem. Of course not knowingly, but the happy willingness to spend $22k more on a 10 than a 9 is ultimately what is being taken advantage here. It wouldn't be entirely fair to put this squarely on the guys with deep pockets, as no one deserves to get ripped off, regardless of their financial standing. However, they do have a seat at the table which, like or not, is what money buys you in this country. I just wish enough of them would be willing to take their money off the table to make a difference.
Well said, agreed completely.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:32 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Add Inventory Results
Edit Recently Added Items
You submitted 1 item.
Cert Number 08168192 is already registered by another member.

If it is two different cards, PSA really needs to contact the owner, if they haven't already, to see if it's still owned. I'm still holding out hope!!
Old 06-08-2019, 06:53 PM
Steve Birmingham

A slightly better image of the PSA10

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...sa-gem-mint-10
Old 06-08-2019, 06:59 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post
Cert Number 08168192 is already registered by another member.
There are a lot of dead cert numbers still clogging up pop reports and set registries. That's one reason I recommended they delete both the before and after certs.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:37 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default What I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's a 3K card or whatever it is. It's meaningless to a guy making the kind of money he makes from altering cards. Huge upside, trivial downside. I think you're way off the mark here implicating PSA. This isn't a collector to whom the card means something. It's a piece of paper to him. It's a risk reward calculation to him plain and simple. Nothing else to see here.
Is there could be a grader inside. Not saying PSA actively complicit but I would expect a guy who is actively doctoring cards wouldn't take such a risk of loss. I was talking about the Musial and it appears the jump is price is much more than $3k if it got a 10, which it did.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:46 PM
David Riley

PSA needs some heat on their A $$. They are either willfully and blissfully ignorant in their grading to let so many big time, big dollar cards that are fraudulent hop-skip-jump through the grading process -or- they , or more specifically a couple of rogue graders, are complicit in this whole mess.

I'll sign that comment and add contact info if need be as I will stand behind my comment and feelings on the matter and don't give a Sh*t. $25k of fraud on the Musial, that was already a great card!!. That's outrageous and every collector who loves this hobby should be completely furious with this.

David Riley
(843) 631-7436 home
(843) 499-4859 tmobile
2072 N Main Street suite D
summerville , sc 29486
Old 06-08-2019, 11:48 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

VERY well said!
Old 06-09-2019, 10:59 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwaylandscaping View Post
PSA needs some heat on their A $$. They are either willfully and blissfully ignorant in their grading to let so many big time, big dollar cards that are fraudulent hop-skip-jump through the grading process -or- they , or more specifically a couple of rogue graders, are complicit in this whole mess.

I'll sign that comment and add contact info if need be as I will stand behind my comment and feelings on the matter and don't give a Sh*t. $25k of fraud on the Musial, that was already a great card!!. That's outrageous and every collector who loves this hobby should be completely furious with this.

David Riley
(843) 631-7436 home
(843) 499-4859 tmobile
2072 N Main Street suite D
summerville , sc 29486
I do not see enough evidence to be convinced any fraud was committed in this case. Definitive statements like this are not fair to the owner of this card, or to the owners of some of the other cards in question. It may turn out this card was altered and it might not. But just as in more serious real life situations a false allegation can do more damage than can be fixed if it's later determined there was no evidence to support the charge.

Imagine if you spent a few thousand, or tens of thousands on one of the cards listed on these threads and it turns out nothing was done to the card. How difficult do you think it will be to sell it down the road?
Old 06-09-2019, 11:16 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
Funny, if someone had posted that thing raw on here asking for opinions, I'd have said fake without thinking twice.
and purchased from PWCC I say the same thing, probably fake
Old 06-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Four fake corners gets preferential treatment? The hell you say...
Old 06-09-2019, 11:38 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFFDAH View Post
Ultimately it doesn't matter to me what T205 GB thinks of this card or any other card. I'm not saying that as an attack just that it doesn't matter to me and I stay the course on what works successfully for me.

My confidence lies in PSA and PWCC who have earned my and many other collectors trust. I review most of my PWCC card targets including the Musial with Brent before I pull the trigger with a bid and have the utmost trust in his opinion. My best bump of a PWCC purchase is a 58' Jim Brown from an 8 to an 8.5 so my confidence and trust is VERY HIGH.

Anyways it will be a great card and a mini Mona Lisa. I love that its Musial, I love the image, the color, clarity, centering, edges, corners etc. The back is icing on the cake. It will be an appreciated card and feel fortunate to be able to buy it.
I'm way behind in reading this thread. Saw the subject line and thought of opening a few times but never did. Until this morning...over coffee...I decided to dig in. And it's at this post, that I will take intermission...as I surely need a beer and bucket of popcorn for everything that comes next. And unfortunately, I just ate breakfast. Until tonight...
Old 06-09-2019, 11:39 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I do not see enough evidence to be convinced any fraud was committed in this case. Definitive statements like this are not fair to the owner of this card, or to the owners of some of the other cards in question. It may turn out this card was altered and it might not. But just as in more serious real life situations a false allegation can do more damage than can be fixed if it's later determined there was no evidence to support the charge.

Imagine if you spent a few thousand, or tens of thousands on one of the cards listed on these threads and it turns out nothing was done to the card. How difficult do you think it will be to sell it down the road?
Pretty damned easy, as long as it still resides in a PSA holder, and is presented to the collecting herd of sheep via auction or on eBay.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
I guess being smarter than a coyote or deer doesn’t make you smart enough to detect a scam
Smarter than a deer without a gun anyway.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:53 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
So it's being returned?

Where does it eventually end up?
With PWCC?
With PSA?
With the card doctor?

If it simply all gets returned, I believe it will simply either get reslabbed after a crackout still a 10 but with a new cert number. Or gets a slight ding, and gets reslabbed as a 9 again with a new number, and we start all over again.
I'm guessing it's much easier to deconstruct a perfect card. Keep your eyes peeled for a PSA 8.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post

Seriously? The card was sold twice by PWCC in the period of 7 months. First time to a proven card doctor and one of PWCC’s biggest buyers / consignors. Second time the card ends up in a 10 grade with what appear to be alterations. Or at minimum, photoshop scans. Buyer asks PWCC about the card and they claim NO knowledge on provenance. Buyer buys card and 2 weeks later send it back due to concerns.

Ya, nothing to see here, prob just a misunderstanding.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

I thought he sent it back just recently, he bought it last year.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

I want to know more about the restoration business Brent had/has. Is it a current business or something he ran in the past? All starting to make sense now.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
I want to know more about the restoration business Brent had/has. Is it a current business or something he ran in the past? All starting to make sense now.
In the e-mail Betsy sent me, she wrote that PWCC is dealing first with the cards that are obviously trimmed, colored and had corners built up. If some cards were "clearly altered," why were the cards being sold without disclosing the information?

I am not an attorney, and I am not pretending to be one, but isn't that fraud?

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
In the e-mail Betsy sent me, she wrote that PWCC is dealing first with the cards that are obviously trimmed, colored and had corners built up. If such things were "obvious" why were the cards being sold without disclosing the information?
Every time either of them speaks.... but what she may mean is it's now obvious in light of the before and after pics which are not evidence.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:44 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
It's a 3K card or whatever it is. It's meaningless to a guy making the kind of money he makes from altering cards. Huge upside, trivial downside. I think you're way off the mark here implicating PSA. This isn't a collector to whom the card means something. It's a piece of paper to him. It's a risk reward calculation to him plain and simple. Nothing else to see here.
and they will just keep submitting the same card time after time until they get the desired result. That's what they do, crack, flip, cut, soak, spoon, color, flip crack repeat...all day everyday for 15 years. Let that sink in
Old 06-09-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Look what he DID do in this case, why speculate? There are before and after pics on BO. I give up, Dave and I seem to be the only ones posting who understand this in context.
I agree with Peter. I don't think this implicates PSA.

I agree with Barry on another point. The difference between a '9' and '10' is largely subjective, except maybe as to centering. Like Barry, I have never understood the enormous difference in values at the high end.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Brent actually owned/owns a separate business restoring antiques.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:17 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark evans View Post
I agree with Peter. I don't think this implicates PSA.
Except they're supposed to be experts at authentication.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Except they're supposed to be experts at authentication.
True. I was speaking to the fraud. Hopefully, these recent disclosures will result in PSA and/or other services stepping up their game in identifying alterations.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:23 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark evans View Post
True. I was speaking to the fraud. Hopefully, these recent disclosures will result in PSA and/or other services stepping up their game in identifying alterations.
Too little too late, isn't it? How many dollars have they taken for a service they weren't capable of delivering? It sounds like there are some VERY forgiving people on this forum.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:07 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I don’t get the blind forgiveness either... other than they are already so monetarily invested in PSA slabs. Time for a new competent TPG to step forward. Or better yet, less emphasis on TPGs, period.

Last edited by perezfan; 06-10-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I don’t get it either.. other than they are already so monetarily invested in PSA slabs. Time for a new competent TPG to step forward. Or better yet, less emphasis on TPGs, period.
Just as the stock market moves or not in response to new information, this market either will or won't respond as it collectively deems the new information important. Nobody is coerced here, it's the aggregate of thousands of individual decisions. We'll see. Given the low entry barriers, theory at least would dictate that if there is a significant opportunity for a new grader, someone will make a go for it.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-10-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

For the record, I am the OP of THIS thread and was simply pointing out what I thought was amazing card. I see people referencing the "OP" but I believe /hope they are referring to a different thread.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:45 PM

I think I need to clarify that my comments weren't meant to excuse PSA's failure to identify alterations, but rather that I did not see evidence of fraudulent activity. The company should, of course, be held accountable to meet whatever guarantees it has made with regard to its services.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:43 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

The edge had a questionable trim in the 9 holder to begin with

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
For the record, I am the OP of THIS thread and was simply pointing out what I thought was amazing card. I see people referencing the "OP" but I believe /hope they are referring to a different thread.
Yah, they mean the guy who bought the card.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:20 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Just as the stock market moves or not in response to new information, this market either will or won't respond as it collectively deems the new information important. Nobody is coerced here, it's the aggregate of thousands of individual decisions. We'll see. Given the low entry barriers, theory at least would dictate that if there is a significant opportunity for a new grader, someone will make a go for it.
Unless they can offer a better alternative to the PSA registry, it would be foolish for a new grading company to start up. The registry is what drives everything.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Unless they can offer a better alternative to the PSA registry, it would be foolish for a new grading company to start up. The registry is what drives everything.
I imagine there are tons of collectors who don't have any registry presence. Yes, a competitive advantage for PSA to be sure, but not insurmountable.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:57 PM
David Peck

Quote:
I imagine there are tons of collectors who don't have any registry presence. Yes, a competitive advantage for PSA to be sure, but not insurmountable.
A good friend of mine has a really great wrestling card collection and is working on high grade Wrestling All Stars sets and he isn't remotely worried about the registry. That said the scarcity of the cards can drive market behavior.

No one is taking on PSA unless they were to get shut down. In order to use another grader for the majority of your collection you want their grades to be the most coveted. It is too great of feat to get the market to switch.

New grading companies certainly would be welcomed because competition forces companies to get better but the landscape is very well defined.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
A good friend of mine has a really great wrestling card collection and is working on high grade Wrestling All Stars sets and he isn't remotely worried about the registry. That said the scarcity of the cards can drive market behavior.

No one is taking on PSA unless they were to get shut down. In order to use another grader for the majority of your collection you want their grades to be the most coveted. It is too great of feat to get the market to switch.

New grading companies certainly would be welcomed because competition forces companies to get better but the landscape is very well defined.
If people completely lose faith in PSA's ability to detect alteration, and many are close right now I think, that would offset the registry to a great extent in my opinion. Cards on which people spend 4 and 5 figures are being outed by the hour by three guys behind a keyboard. Imagine the real scope of this.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-10-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:01 PM
David Peck

Quote:
If people completely lose faith in PSA's ability to detect alteration, and many are close right now I think, that would offset the registry to a great extent in my opinion.
One of the comments you have made is that many collectors are so heavily invested in PSA that they have no incentive to change or appear concerned about recent findings. I think this is true and reinforces my belief the risks are too high for collectors to run from their PSA collections.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
One of the comments you have made is that many collectors are so heavily invested in PSA that they have no incentive to change or appear concerned about recent findings. I think this is true and reinforces my belief the risks are too high for collectors to run from their PSA collections.
Maybe. I am not sure what to think at this point honestly, I'm bouncing around from hour to hour on what I think will happen. After I see another disastrous card I start thinking people have to care at some point; then later I think well maybe not just too many people invested in the status quo.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-10-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:12 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Maybe. I am not sure what to think at this point honestly, I'm bouncing around from day to day on what I think will happen.

I don't play in the really expensive segment of the market but I am someone who has submitted a lot of cards that are in my own collection and so the game doesn't stop just because of a bad call.

I have tried to track down cards in a specific grade for years and you need people to get totally turned off from graded cards to have things change significantly.

What else do many of us have to do? We like to collect cards and so grading creates challenges that are really tough and make trying to keep searching worth while. You can still rip packs for the price range of cards I collect and so hunting in many cases is still possible. Grading is the final step in the process for me. I got to catch the fish first and then go to the weigh station. If it doesn't get the grade I want I generally keep it and just keep trying.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I don't play in the really expensive segment of the market but I am someone who has submitted a lot of cards that are in my own collection and so the game doesn't stop just because of a bad call.

I have tried to track down cards in a specific grade for years and you need people to get totally turned off from graded cards to have things change significantly.

What else do many of us have to do? We like to collect cards and so grading creates challenges that are really tough and make trying to keep searching worth while. You can still rip packs for the price range of cards I collect and so hunting in many cases is still possible. Grading is the final step in the process for me. I got to catch the fish first and then go to the weigh station. If it doesn't get the grade I want I generally keep it and just keep trying.
I can't even remember the last time I opened a pack. Having known about this fraud for years I've been pretty diligent and follow a number of rules but even then there is only so much you can do.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:20 PM
David Peck

Quote:
I can't even remember the last time I opened a pack. Having known about this fraud for years I've been pretty diligent and follow a number of rules but even then there is only so much you can do.
I have never been able to keep one pack sealed I have bought in the last ten years.

So many times I said I am going to keep this one sealed and cave pretty quickly.

When it goes your way it is ridiculously fun. I ripped a 1985 Topps WWF rack box and it was amazing. I bought a few packs as a kid but any money I could get my hands on was going to 85 Topps baseball instead looking for a Dwight Gooden so it was incredible to get to tear through a box. I self subbed a Hogan Yellow 10 and a Roddy Piper too. This keeps people like me addicted.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I have never been able to keep one pack sealed I have bought in the last ten years.

So many times I said I am going to keep this one sealed and cave pretty quickly.

When it goes your way it is ridiculously fun. I ripped a 1985 Topps WWF rack box and it was amazing. I bought a few packs as a kid but any money I could get my hands on was going to 85 Topps baseball instead looking for a Dwight Gooden so it was incredible to get to tear through a box. I self subbed a Hogan Yellow 10 and a Roddy Piper too. This keeps people like me addicted.
Yeah for many of us of course packs are where it all started. As pure as it gets. The closest I have come in some time was breaking my own rule and buying a raw card from a seller I normally am very cautious with -- a fairly pricey Brady rookie. Huge scan, I just couldn't see any possible issue with it. Submitted it and sure enough got a 10.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:25 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Yeah for many of us of course packs are where it all started. As pure as it gets. The closest I have come in some time was breaking my own rule and buying a raw card from a seller I normally am very cautious with -- a fairly pricey Brady rookie. Huge scan, I just couldn't see any possible issue with it. Submitted it and sure enough got a 10.
I bet you were excited when you saw the screen.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I bet you were excited when you saw the screen.
I think I waited for the box. But yeah. I mean the whole thing on one level is absurd, it's now worth 6x or more what I paid.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-10-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:29 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

I was going to start building high graded PSA vintage (1910/1911, PSA 8+ 1951 Parkies, etc) sets this year but nope, can't do it with all that's going on. No way. I'm doing these raw and in binders instead and that's coming from a loyal PSA customer of 15 years.

I am invested emotionally in a PSA/DNA set (signed79.com) and will finish getting that upgraded and slabbed, but no more PSA projects for now.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:37 PM
David Peck

Quote:
I think I waited for the box. But yeah. I mean the whole thing on one level is absurd, it's now worth 6x or more what I paid.
Just another reason people get addicted.

I love collecting but I have made no bones about the fact that when I send in cards for grading I want to increase their value. The potential margins are shocking in cards. Find me a stock you can magically make worth six times what you paid. Obviously that can't be done and so this kind of massive escalation in price that takes place in every segment gets money chasing cards.

Tom Brady has proven to be a total blue chip investment. His cards are like Amazon shares and when they came public there was little fanfare but have done nothing but go up over time. Incredible.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:42 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

This won’t shake anyone major player out of the registry. I think this incident just points out that PSA needs to add graders and improve inspection methods. I have no doubt that they will do this and they will come out of this a stronger company with improved grading procedures.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 AM
Glyn Parson

Default This is what i believe as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
This won’t shake anyone major player out of the registry. I think this incident just points out that PSA needs to add graders and improve inspection methods. I have no doubt that they will do this and they will come out of this a stronger company with improved grading procedures.
I agree with Jay 100% on this.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:08 AM
Brendan Mullen

He only has to make it work 1 time in 8 for this to pay off.

"Pot odds..."