NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2004, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Default Terry Francona and Pedro

Posted By: PASJD

As a Bostonian I am as thrilled as anyone over last night's win, but will someone explain to me what on EARTH Terry Francona was thinking bringing in Pedro. One, why take out a man throwing a one-hitter who has only thrown 68 pitches? Two, why with a huge lead do you put in a guy who is going to start a game in a couple of days. Three, why ignite the crowd and pump up the Yankees, which he had to know was going to happen? Four, given Pedro's history against the Yankees (anyone recall last year's game 7?) why take the risk (which was promptly borne out as the Yankees started taking batting practice against him? Was it a case of a manager being cowed by a star player who apparently asked to be used? A case of Francona wanting to rub it in the Yankees' face? Is there ANY rational explanation?

By the way, that NLCS is something else too, what a year. I would love to see Clemens win tonight.

Old 10-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Although I was pulling for Boston I'm not necessarily a fan so I don't know what kind of moves Francona has made during the year but that was the strangest I've ever seen! Is Francona as dumb as he seems and just luck he fell into a $127 million team with talent or was this an isolated event?

Old 10-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Leaving in Jason Varitek the other night to catch Wakefield with the game on the line (he NEVER catches Wakefield as you could tell from the THREE PASSED BALLS and ten other drops where fortunately men were not on base) was just as bad. Leaving Schilling in in game one when it was obvious after three pitches he couldn't push off his right leg at all (and apparently it was obvious in his pregame session too) was awful. I suppose he has made some good moves too, but it is scary for this fan. Now that said, nothing will ever top Grady Little sticking with Pedro last year in game 7 when it was obvious to the world he had run out of gas and was pitching batting practice.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

I agree, that was a pretty whacked decision. First off, taking Lowe out after SIX innings when he was just cruising was just wierd - he had at LEAST one, if not two innings left in him, not to mention the fact that the bullpen was still recovering from some very long games. Add to that decision using PEDRO of all people was just totally unnecessary. Maybe he was thinking that the game was SO important (it was) that he had to do whatever he thought was right to insure a victory, but to bring in one of your biggest starters that you'll need again in 3 or 4 days who's already tired with a SEVEN run lead? Maybe if you've got a lousy relief staff, but that is NOT the case here. All I can say is he had the wit to take him out after one really bad inning. Thankfully the Sox were having a much better night than Francona was, and they'll continue to be able to overcome any other wacky, stupid decisions come Series time...

Old 10-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Sitting there I was remembering last year's game 7 (and screaming at Grady Little to take Pedro the heck out of there when it was SO obvious he was spent) like it was yesterday. I recall now that Grady even went out to the mound (I remember thinking thank God finally) AND THEN LEFT HIM IN. So for me, it literally was as Yogi said deja vu over again, big lead or no big lead. If Pedro had come out for the 8th I would have suffered a nervous breakdown.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

There is only one reason Francona brought in Martinez -- the curse. Every Red Sox manager is required to make at least one absolutely inexcuseable bonehead move so that the curse can live on. Grady Little leaving in an absolutely exhausted Martinez is one example. John McNamara was guilty of several in the same inning, including leaving in an ineffective Calvin Schiraldi, bringing in an always-innefective Bob Stanley, and leaving Buckner in the game, despite the fact he had been removed for defensive reasons late in every post-season game. McNamara's explanation for Buckner was that he wanted him on the field when the last out was made to celebrate the big win.

Sorry to drone on, but my point is simply that the curse has played itself out mostly through bonehead managerial moves. Last night's decision to bring in Martinez was more of the same. Francona, like McNamara and Little, was tempting fate. This time, with a seven run lead, it didn't cause the usual downfall.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

With a huge lead, letting Pedro pitch one inning wasn't going to hurt anything. Maybe he figured if he could bear down for one strong inning it would make a statement. But since he sucked, it just re-emphasized who his Daddy is.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I was wondering exactly the same thing. A friend suggested that Pedro asked in, to exorcise his own demons since the Yankees have smacked him around pretty good. As it happened, he got smacked around again, so it was a pretty stupid move. He is scheduled to start game one on Saturday, isn't he? Just one theory, but baffling nonetheless.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DENNIS

TERRY FRANCONA IS A DUMB ASS.Even mccarver could not defend this move. i heard WAKEFIELD IS STARTING GAME 1.

Old 10-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Have any of you heard an official explanation yet? I can't find anthing on the net, etc. where that question has been asked of Francona yet. Are the reporters afraid to approach him yet?

Rob

Old 10-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Administrator

When things turn out well, especially this well, I don't think any reporter wants to be perceived as negative. My guess is that Pedro asked in for personal reasons and Francona gave in to a superstar (or former superstar, as Pedro was not up to par this year. At least he had the good sense to yank him after one inning. (I am still sick at the memory of Grady Little walking out to the mound last year to take out Pedro and walking back after Pedro obviously convinced him he could still pitch effectively.)

Old 10-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Albie O'Hanian

Here is Francona's explanation on the Pedro decision. He is scheduled to start game three of the World Series.
"The Pedro decision: A lot of people wondered why Francona used Pedro Martinez in relief during Game 7, even though the Sox held an 8-1 lead. Martinez was hit hard in his inning of work, giving up three hits and two runs.

"If you just think it through, we didn't have very many arms," said Francona. "If we get Pedro up, and we had him loose in the inning before, and then sit him down, then there's a rally because we got somebody else up and we want to get Pedro in, you're risking a lot. We're trying to minimize fatigue on a guy's arm and win the game. We weren't exactly in abundance of fresh arms out there."

Francona also acknowledged that he wanted Martinez to pitch in a positive situation at Yankee Stadium.

"I was excited about bringing him in that game," said Francona. "I know he gave up some hits, some runs, but he actually threw the ball very well. I wanted him to be standing on that mound with some success." "

Old 10-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Administrator

If that is his explanation, that is scary. Wow. It makes about zero sense.

Old 10-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

ONE of the announcers on Fox Sports Network excused Pedro's poor performance by saying--a starter gets 20-25 minutes to warm up, a reliever only a few. Is that true? Martinez did "settle down" after the terrible start but--

Like evryone says, why put him in in the first place?

Old 10-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

I read Francona's explanation 3 times and I still don't get it - I'd rather him have just said nothing and leave it at the fact that they won - wow!

Old 10-22-2004, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie