NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-19-2021, 05:28 PM
Rob

Nice work with the Oxy guys. It does a good job not only with overall discoloration but if there are spots too. They come out just by soaking, no spot treatment necessary. Late 70s into the 80s is the sweet spot for Oxy. It's harsher than retro clean but the newer pennants hold up to it.

And like Marc said, no need to hold down. I just make sure the pennant is saturated thoroughly then let it float until I like the results. And be careful with red. It's totally doable, just requires a little more attentiveness because red spines will definitely run. But if you swish the water every 15 minutes or so, the red washes away and will eventually stop running.

I was just extolling the virtue of 80s pennants to Kyle yesterday so these posts are very timely. There are some very rare pennants from the 80s, if you can stomach wading through all the 80s junk. Keep it up. Maybe we can start a movement.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:08 PM
Rob

I doubt the “Heavy Hitters” will ever wade into the (19)80s
Old 08-20-2021, 04:42 PM
Rob

x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-08-19 04.29.19.jpg (69.5 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (85.0 KB, 306 views)
Old 08-20-2021, 04:47 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Geez, Trench …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B866CCA9-123E-482B-8F90-D387E62E69C5.jpg (20.9 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg D79FD7F5-B3C0-404C-B0A9-6707EB81520A.jpg (20.9 KB, 298 views)
Old 08-20-2021, 07:32 PM

Too soon??

Too soon.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Geez, Trench …
Well that's pretty morbid for a non-sports pennant. I'm glad they didn't do this type of thing with their sports pennants, or we might have...

The paralysis of Roy Campanella
The freezing of Ted Williams' head
The snapping of Joe Theisman's leg
The suicide of Donnie Moore
or
The injection of Barry Bonds' butt cheek

(Apologies to Rob for that last one)
Old 08-21-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Well that's pretty morbid for a non-sports pennant. I'm glad they didn't do this type of thing with their sports pennants, or we might have...

or

They could at least have made a Giants Polo Grounds pennant with a little guy using binoculars in the outfield ….
Old 08-21-2021, 09:07 AM
Rob

Quote:

or

Think of the possibilities with OJ. The fun the air brusher could have with that. "OJ kills Nicole". It would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

Wonder which company made this societal reject? If they had a Manson Family pennant, I'd be all over it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KKK.jpg (18.8 KB, 293 views)
Old 08-21-2021, 09:36 AM
Rob

Quote:

Did you guys see the thread “Looking for Ted Williams pieces”?

A smart ass reply instantly came to my mind.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:58 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Man, we're going downhill fast. Not sure I can ever look at a Pollock painting the same way again.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:47 PM
Rob

Any thoughts on this one? Baseball or travel? The Tiger on the label seems too coincidental, no? Was this a logo of The Reproduction Company?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detroit pennant.jpg (82.0 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg Label.jpg (64.9 KB, 303 views)
Old 08-21-2021, 11:32 PM

Default The Reproduction Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Any thoughts on this one? Baseball or travel? The Tiger on the label seems too coincidental, no? Was this a logo of The Reproduction Company?
It's a legit Reproduction Co. label. In fact, I can date this specific label to ca. 1914. They used it on plenty of travel/souvenir and special event pennants manufactured during the mid-1910s.

For some reason, this company, which was based in Manhattan (and later, Brooklyn) really liked tigers. Of the four labels I've found of theirs used between 1908-1921, two featured tigers: one with a full body of a tiger; the other with only the head.

Unfortunately, I believe it's just a coincidence that there's a tiger on this "Detroit" pennant's label. I'm pretty sure this is a travel/souvenir pennant. They made a lot of these for many cities and states. They mostly all looked like this "Detroit" pennant, down to the same Gothic font. Usually, these were 100% screen printed; but, some, like this "Detroit" pennant, featured sewed letters.

The Reproduction Co. did make two known professional baseball pennants; however, unlike their travel/souvenir pennants, each were undeniably baseball pennants; and, both were made closer to 1910. As you'll see, they don't resemble the "Detroit" pennant at all. Here they are below....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (83).jpg (4.3 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg image (3).jpg (3.8 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by Domer05; 08-21-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:08 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
It's a legit Reproduction Co. label. In fact, I can date this specific label to ca. 1914. They used it on plenty of travel/souvenir and special event pennants manufactured during the mid-1910s.

For some reason, this company, which was based in Manhattan (and later, Brooklyn) really liked tigers. Of the four labels I've found of theirs used between 1908-1921, two featured tigers: one with a full body of a tiger; the other with only the head.

Unfortunately, I believe it's just a coincidence that there's a tiger on this "Detroit" pennant's label. I'm pretty sure this is a travel/souvenir pennant. They made a lot of these for many cities and states. They mostly all looked like this "Detroit" pennant, down to the same Gothic font. Usually, these were 100% screen printed; but, some, like this "Detroit" pennant, featured sewed letters.

The Reproduction Co. did make two known professional baseball pennants; however, unlike their travel/souvenir pennants, each were undeniably baseball pennants; and, both were made closer to 1910. As you'll see, they don't resemble the "Detroit" pennant at all. Here they are below....
Great stuff as always Kyle. I typically find pennants with no team name pretty dubious. But the logo here was a curveball. I can only imagine how many collectors over the last 100+ years were sure this was a baseball pennant because of that tiger logo on the back. But, as Paul Harvey used to say...
Old 08-22-2021, 11:12 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It still might be a Tigers Pennant, but it has nothing to do with the tag. The Tigers definitely used that gothic style font, and the colors are also perfect for the Tigers.

Of course it's still a leap of faith, and not one that I'd sink a lot of money into. But I would never-the-less give it close to a 50/50 chance of being a Tigers pennant.

Last edited by perezfan; 08-22-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:29 AM
Rob

Quote:
It still might be a Tigers Pennant, but it has nothing to do with the tag. The Tigers definitely used that gothic style font, and the colors are also perfect for the Tigers.

Of course it's still a leap of faith, and not one that I'd sink a lot of money into. But I would never-the-less give it close to a 50/50 chance of being a Tigers pennant.
You're more knowledgeable than I, but I would only give it a 10% chance...if that.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:23 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:

This pennant sold on eBay several years ago and it had a Reproduction Co tag on the back. I did not win it, but did keep a photo and a note about the tag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 651B3D93-ED81-414F-A795-AD051D939709.jpg (20.8 KB, 296 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 08-22-2021, 08:07 PM

What an INCREDIBLE Cubs pennant in INCREDIBLE condition. That’s maybe close to five figures in the current market.

Last edited by thetahat; 08-22-2021 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
This pennant sold on eBay several years ago and it had a Reproduction Co tag on the back. I did not win it, but did keep a photo and a note about the tag.
Mike, you sure it wasn't a Spalding Bros. label, like the moth-eaten one that just sold for like $600 last month on what otherwise appeared to be the same pennant?
Old 08-23-2021, 06:00 AM
Rob

Quote:
What an INCREDIBLE Cubs pennant in INCREDIBLE condition. That’s maybe close to five figures in the current market.
Five figures? Like 1/660th of a Honus Wagner card?
Old 08-23-2021, 06:14 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Mike, you sure it wasn't a Spalding Bros. label, like the moth-eaten one that just sold for like $600 last month on what otherwise appeared to be the same pennant?
Here’s the thread when I asked about it in 2014.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=184244
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 08-23-2021, 08:51 PM

Very cool Cubs WGN 75th anniversary pennant just sold on eBay, rare color version. Mike, I think you have this already? … did anyone here win it?
Old 08-24-2021, 05:57 AM
Rob

Quote:
Very cool Cubs WGN 75th anniversary pennant just sold on eBay, rare color version. Mike, I think you have this already? … did anyone here win it?
75th anniversary of the Cubs or of WGN?
Old 08-24-2021, 09:24 PM

Default 1971 "Pittsburg" Pirates World Champs Pennant

Yet another former ASCO employee contacted me recently. David Kulas worked for Lars Granberg back in the early 1970s. He was Assistant Sales Manager for ASCO's Button House division; and National Sales Manager for Idea Promotions, another offshoot of the parent company.

We spoke for nearly an hour. I asked him for some good pennant stories, to "share with my readers." He gave me this gem....

In 1971 he was working at ASCO/Button House. The pirates were in the World Series. It was looking like the Pirates might win it all. Accordingly, some vendor contacted ASCO about pre-ordering 5,000 "World Champion" pennants. ASCO got right to work, made up a quick design, printed 5,000 of them, then overnighted them to the vendor in Pittsburgh.

The next day someone from ASCO telephoned the vendor to ensure the product had arrived safely. It had. There was only one problem, the vendor stated: "You spelled Pittsburgh wrong!" In their haste to make the pennant, someone in Winona left off the "h" in Pittsburgh. The parties agreed to talk in an hour or so about a plan forward, and the call ended.

When they spoke again an hour later, ASCO was prepared to eat the loss and re-make and re-ship a new order of pennants--this time, with the typo corrected. "Don't bother," said the vendor, "we sold'em already."

In such circumstances, these products would be destroyed. Mr. Kulas himself once made up a "Boston Red Socks" pennant for a vendor outside Fenway Park. In that instance, the product was rejected and subsequently destroyed. But the Bucs were hot; and nobody seemed to mind the typo (or, more likely, nobody noticed!). So, 5,000 of these misspelled pennants made it to market.

Perhaps someone here owns one? No question about it: Mike Knapp (71buc) is the expert on 1971 Pirates pennants ... but even he isn't aware of such a pennant.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:23 AM
Rob

Great story, Kyle.

I’d say “Thanks for sharing,” but I hate that expression!

Edit: you’ve given Mike Knapp something new to look for.

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 08-25-2021 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:51 PM
Mikeknapp

Great story! I'll be actively search for one of those.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 08-25-2021, 06:06 PM
Marc

I just got this "error" pennant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GIants typo.jpg (42.6 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 08-25-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:19 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
I have one of those but I remember some clown on eBay, years ago, who was asking $60. He relisted it over and over. I offered $30, multiple times. He never took me up on it. What is it with some sellers? I guess they’ve never heard of the “bird in the hand.”
Old 08-25-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
From the days of the Crazy Crab …
Old 08-25-2021, 06:40 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I have one of those but I remember some clown on eBay, years ago, who was asking $60. He relisted it over and over. I offered $30, multiple times. He never took me up on it. What is it with some sellers? I guess they’ve never heard of the “bird in the hand.”
Since we're talking about errors, I can't get too into pins/buttons because of all the repros out there but I got this in a lot that was so cheap I was forced to buy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Houtson Oilers Pin.jpg (63.5 KB, 219 views)
Old 08-25-2021, 06:54 PM
Rob

Quote:
From the days of the Crazy Crab …
x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2226.jpg (76.7 KB, 214 views)
Old 08-26-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
x
Awesome cap … SportsLogos.net has the hat logo (with script Giants) discontinued after 1982 season but Crazy Crab was 1984. So it may not be “official” merchandise. Still very cool!
Old 08-27-2021, 12:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Does anyone here really think this is vintage (as advertised?) Sad that it has 10 bids already....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33412648168...oAAOSwYuJhJuw4
Old 08-27-2021, 06:24 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I have personally never seen that pennant and in Mpls here I’ve seen and sold just about every Milwaukee Braves pennant over the years. I’m looking on my phone so it’s tough to tell, but the material and piping appears to be felt. It just seems too bright white to be vintage. Also, most Milw Braves pennants had some sort of color either felt, piping, graphics, etc. Never just black and white.

Last edited by Duluth Eskimo; 08-27-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:13 PM
Rob

Quote:
Does anyone here really think this is vintage (as advertised?) Sad that it has 10 bids already....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33412648168...oAAOSwYuJhJuw4
100% not vintage. The stitching on the spine is trademark modern repop.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:18 PM
Erik

Quote:
Awesome cap … SportsLogos.net has the hat logo (with script Giants) discontinued after 1982 season but Crazy Crab was 1984. So it may not be “official” merchandise. Still very cool!

I had to re-read the first part of the message twice. My son says ‘cap’ or ‘no cap’ meaning ‘bs’ or ‘no bs’. I thought you were saying awesome bs . Damn kids changing my vernacular…
Old 08-28-2021, 06:57 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post
I had to re-read the first part of the message twice. My son says ‘cap’ or ‘no cap’ meaning ‘bs’ or ‘no bs’. I thought you were saying awesome bs . Damn kids changing my vernacular…
That’s an expression I have not heard.

Greg - did you know the original plan was for free crab cocktails on the final day of the 1984 season? That way, the fans would eat the mascot.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
That’s an expression I have not heard.

Greg - did you know the original plan was for free crab cocktails on the final day of the 1984 season? That way, the fans would eat the mascot.
Really? That’s cool. I think the crab would have outhit Johnny LeMaster (who I think retired that season, or the league finally retired him).
Old 08-28-2021, 11:10 AM
Rob

OK, the heavy hitters can move on. This is for the low brows like myself, FB Rob and Marc...

I purposely bought the worst pennant I could find (for 7 bucks). Here's what my generic Oxyclean did:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-08-26 04.28.13.jpg (78.4 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-08-26 04.32.56.jpg (75.0 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-08-28 01.18.26.jpg (86.7 KB, 168 views)
Old 08-28-2021, 02:17 PM
Marc

Nice... I no longer fear the brown pennants.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:48 PM
Rob

Quote:
Nice... I no longer fear the brown pennants.
Luckily, I don’t think I’m competing with you for any of the “white” 70s-80s pennants!
Old 08-29-2021, 08:53 AM
Gary

Anybody see this listing for a Grain Belt Vikings Pennant?

It's not something I'm after, but I remember that others were after these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Minnesota-V...-127632-2357-0
Old 08-29-2021, 10:02 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post

That thing is awesome! I wonder what the “Pre” on the jersey means?
Old 08-29-2021, 01:02 PM
Gary

Quote:
That thing is awesome! I wonder what the “Pre” on the jersey means?
I agree. It's pretty great. I'm assuming Pre refers to their Grain Belt Premium beer...but that's just my assumption.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:31 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Those are very difficult to find pennants, even in Mpls area. Seller is a great guy
Old 08-29-2021, 05:24 PM
Rob

FWIW, I put it on my watch list and got an offer of $150 off from the seller.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:00 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post

I think others may have been looking for the Twins version.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
FWIW, I put it on my watch list and got an offer of $150 off from the seller.
Same here.... haven't checked to see if it's ended yet.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:34 PM

Don’t know how many Twitter users there are here but this guy is a great follow and that is one great jacket. Is that a trolley car on the shoulder?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6CB281F3-0E65-4A13-99A0-82F39368025B.jpg (16.4 KB, 117 views)
Old 08-31-2021, 04:19 PM
Rob

Quote:
Don’t know how many Twitter users there are here but this guy is a great follow and that is one great jacket. Is that a trolley car on the shoulder?
Sweet warm-up jacket!! Yes, I think a cable car like the Warriors now have.

Joe Pettini?....4 years a Giant; .203 BA, 1 HR. In 1980, he turned the only Giants triple play in Candlestick history with two other rookie luminaries...Guy Sularz; 4 years a Giant; .218 BA, also 1 HR and Rich Murray; two years a Giant; .216 BA with four HR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan.jpg (41.1 KB, 98 views)
Old 08-31-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Sweet warm-up jacket!! Yes, I think a cable car like the Warriors now have.

Joe Pettini?....4 years a Giant; .203 BA, 1 HR. In 1980, he turned the only Giants triple play in Candlestick history with two other rookie luminaries...Guy Sularz; 4 years a Giant; .218 BA, also 1 HR and Rich Murray; two years a Giant; .216 BA with four HR.
Did you run out of Willie Mays stamps or something?? Regardless, I approve.