NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-13-2018, 01:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default David Wright Retirement

Was hard to watch his press conference today and not get emotional. I realize he's a young guy (in life) and is retiring with a nest egg any of us would love to have. But watching an athlete's body break down in public, as they all do, despite how hard they want it to be otherwise, is always sad and very poignant. For many of us into the sport, you mark the passage of your own life by remember how young these guys were and how they once seemingly could defy gravity and do things we could only dream of. Then you watch them get old and its a stark reminder that you're only a young guy for a while. Seems like Wright and Reyes were rookies yesterday.

Wright was an excellent player and is seemingly a good person. I wish him the best.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:37 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I was always hoping he could come back...good guy ; good player.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Jason Wells

Wow thats pretty abrupt as he was just rehabbing for a return I thought. I have always liked Wright as he is from right down the road from me (Tidewater area) and I agree its very sad to see his body not match up with his mind and desire to play. Im sure he will be back in baseball in some capacity sooner rather than later.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Doug

Agree that it was a sad day for David and Mets fans. As much as I rooted for the guy, I always thought that his hype exceeded his production. Don't get me wrong, he was a very good player and I would love to have another DW at 3B.

As as been said, he seems like a real nice guy with a good head on his shoulders. Will probably be able to succeed at another position in MLB ... IF he wants to.

Looking forward to watching him play in his last game for The Mets.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:20 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboneesq View Post
Agree that it was a sad day for David and Mets fans. As much as I rooted for the guy, I always thought that his hype exceeded his production..
His first ten years 162 game averages:

611 AB, 101 runs, 184 hits, 41 doubles, 27 HR, 104 RBI, 22 SB, 80 BB, .301 AVG, slash line .382 OBP/.506 SLG/.888 OPS 137 OPS +.

Give me that production with his character at third any day of the week.

I'm sad to see him retire. Captain America always seemed like one of the good guys in the game.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
His first ten years 162 game averages:

611 AB, 101 runs, 184 hits, 41 doubles, 27 HR, 104 RBI, 22 SB, 80 BB, .301 AVG, slash line .382 OBP/.506 SLG/.888 OPS 137 OPS +.

Give me that production with his character at third any day of the week.

I'm sad to see him retire. Captain America always seemed like one of the good guys in the game.

Those averages are misleading though. He only stole 22 or more bases twice, scored 100 runs or more twice, hit 41 or more doubles 5 times, and hit 27 or more home runs 4 times.

Last edited by packs; 09-21-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:39 PM
Michael S.

As a die-hard Mets fan, I can sadly attest to the fact that the NY Mets front office is and has been on par with the Bad News Bears for quite some time...

Kudos to the Mets for sending The Captain out the right way.

It was great to watch last night!

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 09-30-2018, 02:48 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

It was a nice touch having his 2 year old daughter throw out the first pitch.

Last edited by Jim65; 09-30-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:44 AM
Tim

Default 2005

I remember in 2004 early in game at San Diego's Petco Park seeing an incredible, leaping, twisting bare-handed catch by a young Met third baseman. I, and everyone else, couldn't believe what we just saw. He received a well deserved ovation from the Padres fans. He also got a couple blistering hits. I didn't know who he was at the start of that game. I, and everyone else who saw his performance that night certainly knew who David Wright was by game end. He made a spectacular impression that night on everyone at age 21. Something I'll never forget. Best wishes to a fine ballplayer, and fine man.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DavidWright2005SkyboxAutographicsFutureSigns17Rookie.jpg (45.1 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by tjb1952tjb; 10-03-2018 at 03:51 AM.