NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Default For Married or Those With Significant Others

Posted By: peter chao

I'm sure many of you have experienced it, what happens when your memorabilia starts taking over the game room, the den, the bonus room or wherever you started storing your memorabilia. How do you get your significant other to agree to the arrangement. Now this is suppose to be a fun thread so I don't want to hear about the arguments and the baseballs being thrown out of the window. Although I suppose that happens once in a while.

Peter

Old 06-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I guess I'm lucky in that my wife likes the antique baseball look and has allowed me to basically decorate the house with my stuff. As long as I stay out of the kitchen, the bedroom and the bathroom I can do what I want. I am in a constant state of changing things around too as I get stuff in I have to rearrange. I just finished painting my living room last night and started redecorating it today. I can put some pics up tomorrow.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

It's nice to have a wife who is obsessed, really obsessed, with the Red Sox as our Bedroom is where I keep "our" (make sure you say "our" guys) Sox collection. She watches the Sox even more than I do. How many guys can say they have a 1918 Red Sox pennant hanging over their bed?

That being said, even though my wife isn't into beer at all, my house was built around my "beer room" which she never had an issue with.

She even lets me keep my Tiki Mug collection in the China cabinet. Who needs fancy China?

It's great to have a wife who understands my insane obsessions.

I'm definitely a pretty lucky guy.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

My wife is great. Always has been, always will be. My office walls are covered with pre war stuff. I collect original news photos. (not wire photos). She finally let me hang a couple originals of Ruth and Foxx in our family room. In our living room, I have many statues in a book case. Foxx, Ruth, Gehrig, Joe Jackson, Christy Mathewsen. Mantle, and Puckett. So she does let me display many things. AS long as the bills get paid, and we have food on the table, she pretty much leaves me and my obsesion alone.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Peter

It helps that my spouse is a better ballplayer than I am

Max

Old 06-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Hey Guys,

You have some pretty wives. Initially, I had some problems with my wife over my autographed sports books. I soon found out that when she told me to move my books out of the bedroom and into the hobby room...I had better listen, because if I didn't she would haphazardly throw my stuff into the hobby room herself.

So nowadays I'm very attentive and responsive when she says move my stuff.

Peter

Old 06-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

My wife never had in interest in sports from the beginning, so I thought buying and selling items after we got married would help her understand at least my perspective on the hobby. Once I made some money to help pay off some bills she soon came to understand the investment I made. I continue to buy and sell and help other dealers, which has helped my family over the years. Having young children has slowed me down, but I still try and gain knowledge about the hobby as often as I can. My collection is smaller now, and I have learned to enjoy something and then let an item go when money is needed and post the items on the internet or take them to shows I setup at on the weekends.

Jimmy

Old 06-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

My "Reason to Live" is a devout Sox fan too, but I'm still scrood. Not in the parlor, living room nor TV room... My M101s have to hang in the basement playroom. Where people rarely go into anymore, now that the kids are gone. Imagine Murderers Row, JJax and Cobb confined to the dungeon.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Administrator

The living room....I doubt many women would put up with this.

The bats on the floor are only there because I was sorting them today.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

This is the Baseball Corner in our house. Not too much in the way of memorabilia; I mostly concentrate on cards. Some highlights are an original painting entitled "Mathewson, New York-Nationals" by the acclaimed Canadian artist Jennifer Ettinger (whose husband Mr. Jennifer Ettinger coincidentally posts to this board), Moose Skowron's game worn '57 Yankees cap, and a copy of Pitching in a Pinch that may or may not have been autographed by the author. If my wife ever thought my baseball stuff was taking over I would just show her Dan B.'s last post or the "Show me your displays and memorablia rooms" thread from last month. She would see that she is getting off easy.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Dan, I love it.

One question, was the frilly doiley (I know I didn't spell that right in all probability) under the bat on the top of the case the trade off for having the greatest living room of all time?

Great stuff

Greg

Old 06-10-2007, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

My wife loves my collection, as do my daughters. However, I do not extend it beyond my home office. I don't want to see it everywhere. Rather, I have my sanctuary where I go to immerse myself in my baseball antiques and watch a ball game with whoever wants to join me.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Greg, yes. If you look closely you will see some other stuff laying around that I would remove if I thought my wife wouldn't notice.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Here's a line that will either get chuckles from your significant other or get you thrown out of the bedroom. Significant Other, "Honey, you have too many bats in the living room." You, "Sweetheart, there's plenty of room for my bats...all we need to do is throw out the sofa."

If anybody tries the above line, let us know what results you got. I promise that I will not laugh my head off.

Peter

Old 06-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Posted on the other board. Birthday present from my spouse, caricature done by local newspaper cartoonist Bob Krieger.

Max

Old 06-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe K.

Happy B-Day Max!

Holy Crap Dan..so that is your living room? The first thing people see when they come in your house? Awesome!! Next time my wife complains about my office memorabilia room I'll have to show her your house!! And the room that can be seen in one of the photos in the background on the right with the gloves hanging on the wall..is that your dining room? kitchen?

Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

I showed my wife your pics and it made my little corner in the house no longer an issue.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Administrator

The room in the background is my upstairs family room - TV, computer, et cetera. That's the next room to get a makeover. One wall is filled with old gloves, photos and equipment, the other side is filled with family photos. My wife actually wants me to take the baseball stuff out of here and have it only family photos on the wall. I guess I can oblige.