NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-26-2018, 07:15 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default Topps .com Star wars Baseball prints 5/4/2016

On May 4th 2016 Topps issued a series of prints 5x7 sets of 10 snd individual prints 11x14 numbered to 49 ,10 and 1 of 1. This was the second year of their star wars promotion ( may the 4th be with you) Snd the prints were available for 24 hours then removed. UNTIL BLACK FRIDAY 2018 then Topps made the leftover 1/10 and 1/1 prints available again and not just for 24 hours this time but at least 5 days. I don't know if they will take them down tomorrow. As a person who purchased a couple prints 2 years ago I am not happy with Topps. In fact when you click on one of the prints it says they are only available for 24 hours May 4th. What is the point of issuing limited items if there is no limit on them??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181123-085931_Chrome.jpg (73.9 KB, 110 views)
Old 11-27-2018, 04:24 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

If they were numbered to 10 or numbered to 1, the cards were already made. Did you expect Topps to destroy them?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
J0hn Raff3rty

Double post

Last edited by swarmee; 11-27-2018 at 04:24 AM.
J0hn Raff3rty

Triple post

Last edited by swarmee; 11-27-2018 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:12 AM
Al Richter

They could have put them with those extra 52 high number cards
Old 11-27-2018, 07:38 AM
Jonathan Sterling

John Answer to your question did I expect Topps to destroy the cards, Yes I did. They advertised the cards available for sale only for 1 day. Is it to much to expect them to live up to their word?
Al's referance to 52 High numbers is close to what I expected. The story was that cases of 52 High numbers were destroyed (Thrown in the river by Sy Berger I think is the tale).
Your theory probably correct that they produced and numbered all the cards was a business decision by topps. The better decision would have been to print the cards May 5th based on the orders they received on the 4th.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:03 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Different issue, but very similar.

In 2016 I purchased 2 sets of 5x7 Garbage Patch Kids sets that were supposed to be numbered to 49. When I received the sets they didn't have the serial number. When I reached out to them I got the response:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Topps regarding order . Your replacement order has been processed, shipped, and is currently in transit.
I received the replacement that had the serial numbers 1 and 2 of 49, but that left me thinking that I now had a non serial numbered set and a serial numbered set of a set that was only supposed to have 49 produced. So I contacted Topps back asking how many really were out there now with and without the serial numbers and I never heard back from them. I have since sold all the sets via ebay and I listed them with this information. I have no idea still if those sets 1/2 of 49 were the only ones to ever be serial numbered.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Jonathan Sterling

In 2014 I purchased a set of 50 my hero 5x7 prints that were advertised as only available for 1 week numbered to 99. They were still on their site day 8 so I contacted customer service and they took them down. I did learn that singles from these sets were handed out at various Topps events later that year. The Fact that Topps did not release how many were ultimately released pretty much gives them license to do whatever whenever they want. That said this set has come up a few times on various chat boards and the consensus is they are very scarce. But then again the large star wars prints from 2016 were scarce until Black Friday 2018..
Old 11-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Steve Birmingham

With something numbered, why would anyone assume the number was less?

If it's sold as only available for x days, but not numbered then sure, a released sales figure would be better. Like E-Topps.

I have some stuff that was ordered in print runs of 5-10,000, and was on sale for years. But the number destroyed after they stopped selling them is also known, and is often under 1000.

On the opposite side, there were a few things in the 90's that were "limited" to 15,000... and 15,000 in the red package, and 15,000 in the black package... and 15,000 in the blue package.... etc.