NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-13-2021, 11:32 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Default Negro League Type 1 of Lefty Glover

Back in 1988 or 1989 I bought a beat up photo at a sidewalk sale in Baltimore of a Negro League player. When I got it home I found it was clipped from a bigger picture and the back had "Lefty Glover" written on it. I knew by the uniform he played for the Baltimore Elite Giants, but that was all - at first. From this random find I began a 30-year research project trying to find out all I could about the man in the picture.

The three decade quest to find out when he was from and how he died was finally finished this past Christmas and I wrote about it in this article HERE.

Now a month ago I was contacted by a card and memorabilia dealer in Nashville who said he thought he had a type 1 of Lefty Glover. Type 1 of Negro Leaguers are rare as heck, so my interest was piqued to say the least.

When the images he took came through, I was stunned. It was not the photo I found back in the eighties, but a clean, clear posed action shot.

Usually when publicity photos were taken of Negro League players they were portraits or stiff standing poses. This was a great posed pitching photograph.

The details of the uniform are crystal clear. From the things such as the wartime patch and jersey/cap, I'd say this was 1944 or 1945. I consulted with a coupe of trusted Negro League experts I know and the consensus was that this was indeed Lefty Glover. The other possibility was Jonas Gaines, the other lefty on the Elite Giants during this period. The dealer said he bought it at an antique store in Nashville, which would make sense since the Elite Giants HQ was actually in Nashville where the owner lived. I originally thought the location of the photo was Sulphur Dell in Nashville, but on closer inspection I don't think that is right. The trees in the outfield and the grass embankment with what looks like a fence on top comes close to what Atlanta's Ponce de Leon Park looked like, but it's too blurry for me to be sure.

So, without further ado, here's the 8x10 Type 1 of Tom "Lefty" Glover of the Baltimore Elite Giants:

Lefty_Glover_Type1_Front_watermarked.jpg

Now for the really interesting part: the dealer thanked me for helping him ID the photograph, and I figured I'd see it in the next RMY or Hake's auction or something. Then I got another email from the dealer offering to trade it to me in exchange for some of my artwork. He said he knew it whole hold a special value to me. Boy, was he was right.

I encourage you to read the story of Lefty Glover. He wasn't a star by any stretch, but he had a nice career that lasted for over a decade at the highest Negro League level.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:45 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
Back in 1988 or 1989 I bought a beat up photo at a sidewalk sale in Baltimore of a Negro League player. When I got it home I found it was clipped from a bigger picture and the back had "Lefty Glover" written on it. I knew by the uniform he played for the Baltimore Elite Giants, but that was all - at first. From this random find I began a 30-year research project trying to find out all I could about the man in the picture.

The three decade quest to find out when he was from and how he died was finally finished this past Christmas and I wrote about it in this article HERE.

Now a month ago I was contacted by a card and memorabilia dealer in Nashville who said he thought he had a type 1 of Lefty Glover. Type 1 of Negro Leaguers are rare as heck, so my interest was piqued to say the least.

When the images he took came through, I was stunned. It was not the photo I found back in the eighties, but a clean, clear posed action shot.

Usually when publicity photos were taken of Negro League players they were portraits or stiff standing poses. This was a great posed pitching photograph.

The details of the uniform are crystal clear. From the things such as the wartime patch and jersey/cap, I'd say this was 1944 or 1945. I consulted with a coupe of trusted Negro League experts I know and the consensus was that this was indeed Lefty Glover. The other possibility was Jonas Gaines, the other lefty on the Elite Giants during this period. The dealer said he bought it at an antique store in Nashville, which would make sense since the Elite Giants HQ was actually in Nashville where the owner lived. I originally thought the location of the photo was Sulphur Dell in Nashville, but on closer inspection I don't think that is right. The trees in the outfield and the grass embankment with what looks like a fence on top comes close to what Atlanta's Ponce de Leon Park looked like, but it's too blurry for me to be sure.

So, without further ado, here's the 8x10 Type 1 of Tom "Lefty" Glover of the Baltimore Elite Giants:

Attachment 473424

Now for the really interesting part: the dealer thanked me for helping him ID the photograph, and I figured I'd see it in the next RMY or Hake's auction or something. Then I got another email from the dealer offering to trade it to me in exchange for some of my artwork. He said he knew it whole hold a special value to me. Boy, was he was right.

I encourage you to read the story of Lefty Glover. He wasn't a star by any stretch, but he had a nice career that lasted for over a decade at the highest Negro League level.
Very cool pickup.
Amazing dedication to the picture and the research of Left Grover
Great story and History

Thanks for sharing

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-13-2021, 12:52 PM

Aesthetically, that is one of the finest Negro League photographs I have ever seen! Congrats on a fantastic pickup!
Old 08-13-2021, 01:08 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

mrreality68: Thanks for the compliment on my Lefty Glover story on my website - this was the perfect way to end it by getting this photograph.

prewarsports: I agree, there's not a lot of aesthetically pleasing photos from the Negro leagues - and this is one of the best I've seen
Old 08-14-2021, 05:50 AM

Default Awesome Photo!

That is an awesome photo! Stories like this remind me that there is so much more out there than we know about. Congrats on a wonderful pickup. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-20-2021, 06:04 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Great photo and great read. I really enjoyed both!