NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Default N4: QUESTIONABLE AUTHENTICITY

Posted By: G

I am new to PSA grading and have sent in 4 cards.
My response to these were N4: QUESTIONABLE AUTHENTICITY

Calling customer service lead me to still questioned what does this mean?

It is our opinion that these cards are Questionable and we refuse to grade them. But will take your money and not give you an answer.

Is it a reprint, does the color look wrong for it to be an original. Please just tell me something!

These were my grandfathers cards that I remember playing with that were in a shoe box back in 1986. So if its a reprint the card should have said so on the back.

Has anyone else encountered this situation or is there any advise out there for me.

Thanks I appreciate it

Old 12-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

What type of cards were they - what year did you believe they were issued?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Administrator

[linked image]

Old 12-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

If you could post a scan of the cards, here, most likely we could tell you why they are reprints. IF you send me the scans or pictures I will post them for you...."Questionable authenticity", in my experiences, has meant either the card is a fake or reprint, which are close to the same thing, at least in value. Reprints of great cards could be worth a few dollars...fakes (lower quality), probably $0. The grading companies generally don't explain their basis unless asked. I think most tell the submitter on the return form or on the outside of the holder why a card isn't gradable. Hope this helps a little....regards

edited to add...I see you posted a scan as I was posting....woops

Old 12-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Administrator

I scaned it before i sent it to psa so I could know what it was before i sent it in. The Back I did not scan and PSA still has the cards. But I did look up a fake card or reprint and in small print at the bottom on the back it said reprint. Mine did not

Old 12-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Not all reprints are identified as such on the card - yours is definitely a reprint

Old 12-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Administrator

question? how could you tell

Old 12-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

They don't have to say reprint to be one. We have a section on detecting alterations linked below. Also, for a quick comparison there are over 30 of these cards listed on ebay right now. About 10 of those are reprints and labeled as such. It will help you tell the differences very quickly....

http://www.network54.com/Index/85511

http://sports-cards.shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_dmptZUSQ5fSMQ5fSportsQ5fCards?_nkw=1933+Gehr ig

Old 12-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

In my opinion, since it is an obvious reprint, they should just say so. Plus it only took the grader 1/2 a second to tell so they could have refunded some money. But I guess that could open up a can o worms.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimi

Two dead give-aways just to point them out:

1) The borders are way two white which is also sign of "newer" card stock

2) The pixelation of the card makes it look like it was printed out of a home printer in a way.

Jimi

Always looking for T222 Fatimas!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jason

take the card and run it under a black light and see if it glows under it thats one way you can tell if the card stock is newer than that era.