NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-31-2003, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Default Great news

Posted By: leon

Hardly on topic but my 7 yr old little girl finally slept in her OWN bed last night for the first time. As all of you parents know that is a wonderful thing. Back to topic......the "find" from N.California that had seemingly run away never to be heard from again emailed me on Christmas day. He said he wanted to sell 100 more cards. I immediately emailed and said "ok which ones and how much?" I think that question messed him all up so after 4 days of not hearing back I called him. Yesterday I overnighted him a check for 416 cards.......they should be (and I use that term on purpose)

16 small Pacific coast ones ( D311's )

47 Obak "red backs"....(I would think 1911's)

35 Obak "blue print backs" (my guess is 09's and '10's)

1 caramel (who knows...anyone but Cobb, Wagner, or Weaver is a common to him ? )

3 Old Mill (my guess is T210 but could be T206)

1 T206 Cobby Sweet Cap.....in PR condition..( remember he only knows Wagner, Cobb, and Weaver) and I had to pay more for this one

11 large Pacific Coast ones ( I would think D310)

170 Zeenuts with dark fronts (my guess is '11's and mostly '12's)

132 mixed bag of poor cards...( God only knows....I do know there should be at least 1 beat up T217 and one rat-eaten T4).........this is the potentially most exciting though....who knows what this could be?? kinda rollin' the dice as I did pay him decent money for the whole group...also think the group will not be in quite as good of condition as the rest I have gotten.

I should have them in the next 2-3 days and will give an update...... all he still has is the Colgans and Zeenuts w/o coupons (my guess is 100-200 cards).....I tried to get those too but it confused him too much.......just thought I would post something mildly interesting so we can get off of some of the other subjects for a minute.......breast regards (for you Jay B.)

Old 12-31-2003, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Default Great news

Posted By: three25hits

Congrats Leon. Just emailed you btw...

Old 12-31-2003, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Default Great news

Posted By: jw

i'm in for half. (sight unseen)

Old 12-31-2003, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Default Great news

Posted By: Nickinvegas

Leon,
I hope the find is everything you hope for.

Okay, back to being off topic. My boy has yet to make the move to his room(he is 3 & 1/2). I just bought him a new TV and DVD and still he is not interested. It's practically f***in disneyland in there and still he won't sleep there. Hell, I have to go sleep there when I'm tired of his knee in my back!

CYA,
Nick

Old 12-31-2003, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Default Great news

I was wrong....he just emailed me......he still has about 149 Colgans (some have red borders), 225 "mixed" obaks-caramel-??, and three that say Big Eater at the bottom will be a while before we talk about the last group though......I just spoke to him on the phone...sheesh.....his counts were messed up on even what we made THIS deal on.....oh well....crossing my fingers......should have them by Friday.....later

Old 12-31-2003, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Default Great news

Posted By: TBob

If any of the 1910 Obaks he is sending you have 150 series backs, regardless of condition, or if you buy any of the remaining 225 or so and they have 150 backs, please let me know as I am getting oh so close to completing this subset. I could also use 4 or 5 more 1909 Obaks to complete that set, any condition.
Thanx,
TB

Old 01-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Default Great news

Posted By: warshawlaw

Any pet or kopecs that show up in this NoCal lot, LMK.

Happy New Year (but looks like you're gonna have one anyhow).

Adam

Old 01-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Default Great news

Posted By: Joe P.

Congratulations!
It's either a great ending, or great beginning.

You mentioned a possible T217.
If it's a double of one you have, I have 7 extra's for trade purpose in T217's.

You and yours, have a Happy - Healthy New Years.
As a matter of fact, may everyone on this board have a Happy - Healthy New Years!

Joe P. (tobacco-r-us)

Old 01-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Default Great news

I emailed with the gentleman today and he could not get the cards out. He also said his bank wants to hold my Bank Of America cashiers check for 7-10 days. I have given him easily a full year of his payscale in the last 4 months and, quite honestly, he still doesn't trust that the cashiers check is good? He is going to find a B of A to try to cash it on Friday I guess but won't send the cards till he has the cold hard green stuff.... As a board member always says....it's the "golden rule" ...he who has the gold rules....so I will bide (sp?) my time and probably get the first batch next week. I am sure it will happen (always knock on wood) but it will be a few more days. ALSO, I have gotten many emails and requests for cards. I am NOT going to sell any from this thread when, and if, I do sell some...which I most likely will..I will post them on the B/S/T thread so as not to get any preferential treatment......so sit tight guys/girl and we'll see what happens soon.....thanks for all the congrats but I am still always just cautiously optimistic until cards are in hand......happy new year.....

Old 01-02-2004, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Default Great news

Posted By: Julie Vognar

won't instantly cash a B of A cashier's check--St. Petersberg, Russia? (They probably have B of As there too.)

Old 01-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Default Great news

Posted By: petecld

Julie,

Considering the business Leon has done with the guy his situation seems silly BUT it may not be so outrageous. Money orders and cashier checks CAN be cancelled.

One little scam I've heard of works like this:

- The "buyer" pays with a CC or MO.

- The seller sends the card feeling confident the certified deposit is legit.

- The "buyer" then claims the CC or MO was stolen and the money gets taken out of the sellers account and is returned to the "buyer", who by now also has the card.

You have to be careful out there.

Old 01-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Default Great news

No doubt that that could happen...the way you explained the scam. I have seen much better ones than this could be. On the other hand ( don't ya hate that "other hand"? ) my sentiment was more towards the very first part of your first sentence. In the last 4 months I have sent this guy 2 cashiers checks, in the low 5 digits, and 1 personal check for the same amount, all drawn on B of A, and all obviously being good, as he now knows. I have totally trusted him with the money up front each time and quite honestly he has screwed each transaction up that we have had. Unfortunately for him when he has tried to get over a little bit he has shot himself in the proverbial head As you know I am in sales and make my living at communicating ( like a lot of our professions call for ) and don't think that I would mis-communicate the absolute specifics of 3 deals in a row ie.. what grade (*which is subjective), what the cards say on them in order for him to help me figure out what he's got??, AND the QUANTITY. So yes, I am a little disgruntled but still REALLY HAPPY......sorry so long winded.....I've been in a typing mood lately.......take care...