NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-15-2015, 04:29 PM
€d M!££w00D

Default Is there such a thing as a "buying season"?

This may be a crazy question and, if it is, please don't bash me too badly. Here goes: Is there a better time to buy postwar baseball and football cards? I don't mean the Mantles and Jim Browns that are always strong regardless of the season. I am a set collector and I am wondering if better deals can be found on football cards during baseball season and vice versa. Does in-season interest drive up demand and prices?
Old 02-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Best times I've found for buying cards online or via auctions are during the National and right after Christmas.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-15-2015, 06:52 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Good thread, Ed. I will admit to having thought about this, too. Now that he has mentioned it, I have found what Adam said to be true about buying after Christmas. It has seemed as though at least a few dealers have been a little more ready to push inventory out the door after Christmas and into the New Year. It could also be some collectors have sold some of their cards to pay for the holidays making those cards newly available. That being said, I can blow money on baseball cards anytime of year. Just ask my wife.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:10 AM
Bill Gregory

I agree, interesting thread, Ed.

I've noticed that for modern cards, at least, like the Bowman Chrome autos I like to collect, they tend to drop in price a few weeks before Christmas, too. I guess by then the baseball season has ended, the awards have all been handed out, and nobody is really thinking about baseball. It may be a simple "out of site, out of mind" situation. I know that the modern football card prices tend to ramp up a little as the season draws near.

I'd love for somebody to do a price analysis of a nice cross-reference of vintage baseball cards, and how the prices of those cards vary.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:43 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I don't think there is buying season..but I agree it would be seasonal for modern cards when the sport is about to start...

the vintage stuff I don't see much a difference

but when you about 2 months before the national.....dealers start the 'ill sell it at the national" when you don't offer their asking price..

after the national they seem more willing to negotiate..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-16-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:46 PM
Henry Nich.ols

Ed do you mean a buying frenzy? That's when you blow your wad of cash on Baseball Cards.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Anytime when theres a Auction House running, is the time to buy!!!
Of course theres always a few running at all times, so anytime is the time to buy!!!

While some like HugginsScott just ended, others are open like Legendary and our own B&L (Brockleman/Luckey) has theirs up running now. And for some theres always Ebay.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:14 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Ed do you mean a buying frenzy? That's when you blow your wad of cash on Baseball Cards.
Henry, maybe that is a better term . I will elaborate a little. I am currently working on 4 sets: 52 Topps BB low #, 56 Topps FB, 65 Topps BB, and 65 Philadelphia FB. As we approach BB season, I am wondering if it would be smart to take a break from the BB sets and hit the FB sets hard this spring/summer. Will the advent of BB season lower the demand for FB cards, thus providing me some bargain opportunities? May be wishful thinking.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:24 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Interesting topic - and who hasn't tried to figure this out?!

I have had great luck just before Christmas on eBay, and at local card shows. In fact, the closer to Christmas, the better. Got some great deals on set breaks on eBay for my '69 and '72 sets. After New Year's, not so much. In short, I think holidays are a great time to pick up bargains. (But not while you're drunk - stay away from eBay when you're drinking!!)

It's funny how weird little things will spike prices. When the National offered those Diamond Stars of Ruth, Gehrig, etc. it seemed like every dealer raised his prices on the originals by 50%. Seems like it's finally tapering off a bit now.

Sunday nights on eBay are tough. Mondays seem to be much better.

Personally, I haven't noticed a difference for in-season prices for vintage, unless a particular player is in the news - like when Bobby Cox made the hall of fame.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:11 AM
Jay T.

December is good for any sport vintage.
People, not dealers, sell for extra cash. The closer to Christmas, the better.
January is also good for first couple weeks.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:16 PM
J Ryan
Banned

I am on several forums and the off season is always slow when it comes to buying/selling cards. When the season starts it always revs up