NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 01-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
LOL, I thought you meant the Upper Deck... Sometimes I totally miss things.
I see Fleer glossy as more of its own set, but it's interesting Beckett thinks of it as a parallel. How do they list the Nestles, and desert storm, and for that matter the tiffany and score glossy sets? They were all issued on their own in different forms.

Maybe, I saw the question as more along the lines of what was a big deal n a year and affected the hobby at the time and after.
All the other sports lagged behind Baseball until... I don't actually recall when. I know I bought older cards from other sports for very little right into the late 80's. The Marino and Elway were key cards, but hadn't taken off yet. Same for the Gretzky rookie. I got mine in lot that came in a monster box that just happened to have the whole set from that year. I think $50 for the whole box.

Now if I could recall just when everyone suddenly got interested in cards from the other sports, that would have to be a big hobby event.
Before 1992 I think parallel was more of a loose term. They had a bunch of Tiffany/glossy sets done before this one ( 1989 Fleer glossy). The thing is it has a Griffey rookie that is diffeicult to find in high grade because of factory issues. We can also add the 1989 Bowman Tiffany to 1989 cards that make a splash now. They made less Bowman Tiffany but there have been more high grades in the Bowman Tiffany then Fleer glossy. I was just adding to the fact that 1989 was a game changer. Without these other griffey rookies all we would have is a bunch of mass produced Griffey’s( like the upper decks never ending printing)

I also think that almost ever year from 1980 till now has some significance to the modern collector. So I was just cherry picking some big moments that popped in to my mind.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Before 1992 I think parallel was more of a loose term. They had a bunch of Tiffany/glossy sets done before this one ( 1989 Fleer glossy). The thing is it has a Griffey rookie that is diffeicult to find in high grade because of factory issues. We can also add the 1989 Bowman Tiffany to 1989 cards that make a splash now. They made less Bowman Tiffany but there have been more high grades in the Bowman Tiffany then Fleer glossy. I was just adding to the fact that 1989 was a game changer. Without these other griffey rookies all we would have is a bunch of mass produced Griffey’s( like the upper decks never ending printing)

I also think that almost ever year from 1980 till now has some significance to the modern collector. So I was just cherry picking some big moments that popped in to my mind.
Interesting take on 1989. And it does make sense, the UD cards were the big thing once they came out, along with the Billy Ripken.

And yes, there's probably something special that happened every year since 1980. Some more special than others, but that's more an individual thing. Like 83? when Topps sold uncut sheets rolled in huge "packs" through at least one of the chain toy stores. Special to me because it was a pretty weird thing to do even for Topps. But probably not so special to anyone else.