NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 AM
Michael

Default koufax opinion

Another awful slabbed Koufax. Is his signature getting worse at this age (tho I think I have seen nice ones signed in the past year) or is PSA hiring idiots to certify?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandy-Koufax...item461f05b46f
Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I have heard/seen that his IP signatures at Dodgers ST have been rushed and leave a lot to be desired compared to his "sit-down" autograph, where I imagine this has come from. There are masses of humanity pushing stuff in his face and he tries to be accommodating as possible by signing as much as possible in a short amount of time.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:06 AM
J@son.K

Even so, I would personally stay away from this one. Even if it was rushed or authentic, why would you pay close to what a "nice" Koufax could go for? I don't know how PSA can slab things like this and assume it was rushed.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
Even so, I would personally stay away from this one. Even if it was rushed or authentic, why would you pay close to what a "nice" Koufax could go for? I don't know how PSA can slab things like this and assume it was rushed.
+1
Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
+1
+1 again
Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM

I think you guys just might not be used to in person signatures. I was at spring training this year and got this Koufax ball signed in person. When I posted it fellow members said they would have thought it wasn't authentic if I didn't say I got it signed myself.

He was surrounded by a mob. It's hard to take your time in that kind of environment. But it the most authentic Koufax signature I can attest to, having seen it signed before my eyes:

Last edited by packs; 04-29-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Scott

Yes, makes sense. But, nicer Sandy's are still out there too for those who want to buy one. Yours has a special meaning tho, which can never be taken away.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:26 PM

Definitely. I just wanted to point out that when he's signing in person (at least at Spring Training) it really is a mob scene and I don't think you'll see a nice one come out of it.

But that doesn't mean they aren't authentic.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Scott

Agreed for sure. He signs so rarely otherwise
Old 04-29-2014, 02:29 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

My concern is not so much about whether it's real, but more with how does PSA authenticate a signature that doesn't look like a usual signature without being at an in the person type set up?
PSA slabbed an auto that doesn't look like a Koufax signature. Why? If people can make up the "It's been in my family for years" and the "my grandfather got it in person" lies, why would anyone assume that the "I got it in person and he was mobbed/rushed" isn't also made up. It's one thing if one individual knows and trusts the person who got the autograph. In that instance you are putting your faith in your relationship and not just the look of the auto.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 04-29-2014, 02:34 PM

Definitely a valid concern. My only guess is that maybe PSA has had an influx of these types of signatures as of late from people who got them recently while he's been signing. So while it may not look like older signatures, it could resemble more recent examples.

That's just a guess though.

Last edited by packs; 04-29-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:40 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

That is a reasonable possibility.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 04-29-2014, 03:38 PM
kirk welch

only thing about this one is it is in a old label red holder they dont use anymore for just dna , that has to be maybe 7 years old? his signature as of late has changed , and that includes not rushed, that being said i wouldnt have bought this and if i sent it in wouldnt have been surprised if it failed
Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 PM

Here is a neat reference guide to Mr Koufax's autograph through the years.
It seems PSA does archive and date the variations.

http://www.psacard.com/autographfact...5/sandy-koufax
Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by khw View Post
only thing about this one is it is in a old label red holder they dont use anymore for just dna , that has to be maybe 7 years old? his signature as of late has changed , and that includes not rushed, that being said i wouldnt have bought this and if i sent it in wouldnt have been surprised if it failed
Great catch! Yeah, I would stay away then.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Michael

Default koufax

Reason I started this- is it is the 4th Koufax I have seen like this. I have seen some of the spring training graphs come out very nicely since he is separated from the fans by a rope and more recently they have to wait in line where he is sitting. To me these are very suspicious- could be a rush IP but as others have said how can you tell. Could just be a bad forgery
Old 05-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Michael

Default koufax

here is another
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandy-Koufax...item5662a14f02
Old 05-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Steve Zarelli

I have no opinion as to whether these are authentic or not, but in my view, it is a moot point.

For common autographs in good supply, I would advise against adding atypical or ugly examples to one's collection. It will always be questioned and/or worth less. Why pick the dented can when there are so many others on the shelf?
Old 05-03-2014, 08:34 AM
J Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I have no opinion as to whether these are authentic or not, but in my view, it is a moot point.

For common autographs in good supply, I would advise against adding atypical or ugly examples to one's collection. It will always be questioned and/or worth less. Why pick the dented can when there are so many others on the shelf?
+1 on this. A "mint" signature for an autograph collector is a nice, legible every letter visible example. Plenty of Koufax autos out there.