NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Jay Cee

Default Who looks at Hauls Of Shame website

I spent sometime on their website http://haulsofshame.com/index.php

After reading and looking at tons of pictures and articles. I would be scared to buy most anything of value from the 19th century from any auction company. Seems there are a ton of stolen collections from libraries, musuems, and personal collections being circulated in the market.

Many big name people are mentioned in multiple articles. Barry Halper and Rob Lifston with REA leading the way. Ive read about the sites owner Peter Nash past, as its not good at all. A movie comes to mind called catch me if you can starring Tom Hanks and Leonardo Decaprio.

I would imagine that statue of limitations would apply on both a state and Federal level. Looking at the years of when many thefts occured it would not surprise me a bit if more "fresh material" hits the market this decade as longtime collectors have past away and their family members are looking to sell.

Does thrid party grading companies have a responsibility to not only assign a grade to the condition of the card and if its real or not, but should they also ensure its not on the "HOT" list which the Feds and Police put out??

Last edited by BeanTown; 01-19-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:18 PM

I end up looking at the site after posts here about the latest goings on either with the site operator or the hobby. Now, with the site's operator's current goings on.......
Old 01-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Bob Lemke

I don't look at the site because it is depressing . . . the pot calling the kettle black.

But I do have a question that nags at me: Who is funding this site, paying for Nash's research and time? And why?

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 01-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Dan Bretta

It would worry me some if I had a large collection of 19th Century material...that seems to have been the era that thieves concentrated on when it was easy for them to walk out of the Hall of Fame library or the NYPL with it.

As for Hauls of Shame, I usually look at it once every few weeks. It's interesting to see what he "reports" on and what he ignores.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

I read the site regularly. I get an email every time Peter posts something new so I pretty much see everything on the site. I get that he's got a sketchy background as far as his own history. However, the stuff he covers seems to be pretty legit and accurate/honest.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Does anyone else smell something fishy here????
Old 01-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

This article caught my attention. Both Pawn stars and Steve Grad (PSA) are mentioned.

SAY-HEY: Chumlee Was Right! Uni-Historian Says Pawn Stars Bought A Bogus Willie Mays Uniform & Then Sold It At Beverly Hills Auction For $20K

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=35202
Old 01-19-2015, 04:34 PM
pete ullman

I peruse the site from time to time...it's funny to see what net54 characters are highlighted in the story of the week. It almost seems that if you talk sh$t about Peter nice you end up in his story!
Old 01-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

I like Hauls of Shame...Keeps us informed of the BS going on in the hobby
Old 01-19-2015, 05:02 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiedog View Post
I like Hauls of Shame...Keeps us informed of the BS going on in the hobby
Halls of Shame written by possibly the biggest bullshitter the hobby has ever known!

Last edited by ullmandds; 01-19-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Written by possibly the biggest bullshitter the hobby has ever known!
Hi, Peter.

You are talking about Nash, and not the person who left the post you're quoting, right?

Best,

Eric
Old 01-19-2015, 05:23 PM
pete ullman

yes Eric...corrected for clarity!!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 05:24 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I wonder if Nash's debtors can claim the site as part of the outstanding debt. Where is Jeff L. when you need him?

As to the site...it is like any news outlet lately...wonderfully self serving and one sided "reporting."
Old 01-19-2015, 05:42 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I read it regularly and find it very informative, but as with anything memorabilia/ autograph related I take it with a grain of salt.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Rich Klein

I read it. Peter is a great researcher but his vendettas don't help the hobby. As the old saying used to be "If only he could use his powers for good"

BTW -- Web sites don't take much money to operate.

Rich
Old 01-19-2015, 06:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

I agree with Rich. I have read most of 'his' Babe Ruth stuff. Once I found that he had posted one of my tips that was previously unknown to the hobby, crediting it to someone else, I couldn't resist seeing what he would plagiarize next. He did the same with information we posted here regarding the SACO baseball cdv that was quite probably seriously altered.

If he really wanted to win honest hobbyists over to his new-turned leaf, he would not be plagiarizing our work.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:40 PM
Fred

Wouldn't the author of the website be in deep poo poo if all (any or most) of what is written is false? Wouldn't the author be opening himself up to a libel suit?

Do I want to believe any of it's true? No.

Do I feel any of it is true? Yes.

Can any of the attorneys here comment on this? Is there a statute of limitations on theft of this type of material? If there is, doesn't that only mean that the perpetrator of the crime cannot be charged? Doesn't the article in question still belong to the original owner, even though the statutes of limitation for the theft has passed? Wouldn't/shouldn't the article be returned to the rightful owner if it is found or recovered?
Old 01-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
I spent sometime on their website http://haulsofshame.com/index.php

After reading and looking at tons of pictures and articles. I would be scared to buy most anything of value from the 19th century from any auction company. Seems there are a ton of stolen collections from libraries, musuems, and personal collections being circulated in the market.

Many big name people are mentioned in multiple articles. Barry Halper and Rob Lifston with REA leading the way. Ive read about the sites owner Peter Nash past, as its not good at all. A movie comes to mind called catch me if you can starring Tom Hanks and Leonardo Decaprio.

I would imagine that statue of limitations would apply on both a state and Federal level. Looking at the years of when many thefts occured it would not surprise me a bit if more "fresh material" hits the market this decade as longtime collectors have past away and their family members are looking to sell.

Does thrid party grading companies have a responsibility to not only assign a grade to the condition of the card and if its real or not, but should they also ensure its not on the "HOT" list which the Feds and Police put out??
JC, is it true that you you cooperated with the feds in the case against the Mastro defendants? I'm sure it's possible I'm wrong but I had heard you had committed significant shill bidding of your consignments in their auctions.

Last edited by calvindog; 01-19-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:36 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

As suspected and now as Paul Harvey used to say, "Now for the rest of the story".
Old 01-19-2015, 07:38 PM
Jay Cee

Completely wrong there Jeff and you heard wrong. Not sure what your purpose was for making a public post like that. What does your comment have to do with the thread? Who did you hear it from anyways?? Maybe you should be a writer for the Halls of shame.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:40 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Completely wrong there Jeff and you heard wrong. Not sure what your purpose was for making a public post like that. What does your comment have to do with the thread? Who did you hear it from anyways?? Maybe you should be a writer for the Halls of shame.
Nah, I think I'm right. My purpose in posting is it that maybe you're not the best person to be ripping Pete Nash. So you deny shill bidding your consignments in Mastro?
Old 01-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Jay Cee

You must have mis-understood my post. I have never met Mr. Nash or have ever delt with him. I didnt even know he published the Hauls of Shame website until yesterday. I googled his name to read what others have saidboth goodand bad. My thread in no way was trying to slam him... I actually enjoyed his site and I said I spent hours on it. Plus I posted a link to let others see the site. I think if people back it up with facts then it is Legit, which it looks like he does on many articles. If he uses "hearsay" or opinions then we can make up our own determination on what to believe.

Not going to have a public debate with you either Jeff but feel free to contact me privately. Going back to read some more Hauls of Shame articles and so you know I was a victim on a card that was consigned to Mastro/Legendary. So, dont jump to conclusions before getting the facts from the source!

Last edited by BeanTown; 01-19-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:57 PM

I do always! Though you may not like him or his past.... He posted an excellent blurb about the FAKE Magie Error cards that were being produced and 3rd party Graded by the IDIOT PSA MORONs!

I think he has changed and turned over a new leaf and is good for the hobby!

Dan Mckee
Old 01-19-2015, 07:57 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:

Not going to have a public debate with you either Jeff but feel free to contact me privately. Going back to read some more Hauls of Shame articles and so you know I was a victum on a card that was consigned to Mastro/Legendary. So, dont jump to conclusions before getting the facts from the source!
JC, I can read the indictment. That's a better source than you.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:04 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
I do always! Though you may not like him or his past.... He posted an excellent blurb about the FAKE Magie Error cards that were being produced and 3rd party Graded by the IDIOT PSA MORONs!

Dan Mckee
I hope u r right about turning over a new leaf...If so...I agree this is good for the hobby.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post

Dan Mckee
Dan - in the past he stole from people and he has still not repaid his debt. Now he openly steals our research and ideas, publishing it on his website as his own. As a writer, that is deplorable.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Dan - in the past he stole from people and he has still not repaid his debt. Now he openly steals our research and ideas, publishing it on his website as his own. As a writer, that is deplorable.
He also once filled his comments section with comments from people on this board who did not reply to his blog post. I don't think he's turned a new leaf at all...he's *the* guy in the glass house throwing rocks.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Fred

Jeff,

Do you have a moment to comment? Would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Wouldn't the author of the website be in deep poo poo if all (any or most) of what is written is false? Wouldn't the author be opening himself up to a libel suit?

Do I want to believe any of it's true? No.

Do I feel any of it is true? Yes.

Can any of the attorneys here comment on this? Is there a statute of limitations on theft of this type of material? If there is, doesn't that only mean that the perpetrator of the crime cannot be charged? Doesn't the article in question still belong to the original owner, even though the statutes of limitation for the theft has passed? Wouldn't/shouldn't the article be returned to the rightful owner if it is found or recovered?
Old 01-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Jeff,

Do you have a moment to comment? Would be greatly appreciated.
Fred, it looks like it varies by state.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal...mitations.html
Old 01-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Fred

Yes, I can understand the statutes vary by state but I was wondering about the ownership of the cards. Even if the perpetrator can't be prosecuted, doesn't the material still belong to the rightful owner? And if the material surfaces somewhere, can the rightful owner sue to regain possesion?

Also, if what is posted on the website isn't true, can the author be sued for libel? If that's the case then why hasn't he been sued?
Old 01-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Yes, I can understand the statutes vary by state but I was wondering about the ownership of the cards. Even if the perpetrator can't be prosecuted, doesn't the material still belong to the rightful owner? And if the material surfaces somewhere, can the rightful owner sue to regain possesion?

Also, if what is posted on the website isn't true, can the author be sued for libel? If that's the case then why hasn't he been sued?
I'm not sure I know anyone in this hobby who has been sued more than Peter Nash. And what are you going to do if you win? I think REA has his wallet tied up for the next 100 years.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:03 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I'm not sure I know anyone in this hobby who has been sued more than Peter Nash. And what are you going to do if you win? I think REA has his wallet tied up for the next 100 years.
Sometimes potential plaintiffs feel that they'll never be able to collect on a libel judgment so they don't bother to sue; other times, when someone is accused of being a massive shill bidder in auctions he'll just fake outrage and do nothing -- because truth is a defense to a charge of libel. You know, like last night.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:16 AM
GaryPassamonte

Nice read on Mort Rogers scorecards today.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:33 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

i read it. it would be cool to have that much free time to research all that stuff. With Nash I guess you just have to take the bad with the good and read it knowing his bias/ penchant for personal conflicts.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:30 AM
Jay Cee

Bottomline for me is I really enjoy reading Hauls of shame regardless of who owns the site or who the writers are. I can make my own conclusions on what to believe and what not to believe.

Seems like many articles have named Rob Lifston in them and they have backed up many articles with facts. Now, im sure Rob is different now then when he was a teenager growing up, but Im surprised, that he has been to build his auction company with his past involvement and actions from the 70s and 80s.

Maybe it takes a former bully to standup to current bullies. Seems there are many opinions out there and the agressive personality types who like to sling mud, posture, and intimidate others.

A smart person once told me that "you are either part of the problem or part of the solution, the rest is gossip". Those are good words for many people to abideby including myself. I will continue to enjoy reading articles on the Hauls of Shame just as much as enoying the fruits of collecting baseball items and learning on the great network54 social club or should I say public forum.

Last edited by BeanTown; 01-20-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Bottomline for me is I really enjoy reading Hauls of shame regardless of who owns the site or who the writers are. I can make my own conclusions on what to believe and what not to believe.

Seems like many articles have named Rob Lifston in them and they have backed up many articles with facts. Now, im sure Rob is different now then when he was a teenager growing up, but Im surprised, that he has been to build his auction company with his past involvement and actions from the 70s and 80s.

Maybe it takes a former bully to standup to current bullies. Seems there are many opinions out there and the agressive personality types who like to sling mud, posture, and intimidate others.

A smart person once told me that "you are either part of the problem or part of the solution, the rest is gossip". Those are good words for many people to abideby including myself. I will continue to enjoy reading articles on the Hauls of Shame just as much as enoying the fruits of collecting baseball items and learning on the great network54 social club or should I say public forum.
No offense, but I don't think you are reading the posts here about Nash. Nash is STILL part of the problem, and he is adding to his list every time he plagiarizes something that we come up with, and every day he doesn't pay those he owes.

Quit kissing his ass.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:32 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
From Doug Allen's indictment:

DOUG ALLEN,
defendant herein, for the purpose of executing the aforesaid scheme, did knowingly cause to be transmitted by means of wire communication in interstate commerce certain wirings, signs, signals, and sounds, namely, an electronic mail message from the Northern District of Illinois to an electronic mail server located in Georgia, said message from DOUG ALLEN to the consignor stating, “I will hit it one more time and let it go . . . cool”;
In violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1343 and 2.

DOUG ALLEN,
defendant herein, for the purpose of executing the aforesaid scheme, did knowingly cause to be placed in an authorized depository for mail matter, to be sent and delivered by the Postal Service, an envelope addressed to Individual C, at an address in Canton, Georgia, containing an invoice reflecting the sale of a 1887 N175 Large Gypsy Queen King Kelly baseball card;
In violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1341 and 2.

Sorry that I'm intimidating a shill bidder.

Last edited by calvindog; 01-20-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Bob Beck

I read Hauls of Shame regularly and think it is an excellent site in exposing hobby corruption. I equate Peter Nash to being the Jose Canseco of memorabilia. He may have a ton of skeletons in his closet, is accused of being an offender himself, nobody really wants to believe him, but in the end he is dead right on a high percentage of his topics. A very bright guy who obviously does a ton of research on the subject he "shames".

Last edited by bbeck; 01-20-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Signals and sounds? Was it sent in Morse Code?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

"namely, an electronic mail message" -- yes, Morse Code.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:24 AM
octavio ranzola

when you read the comments not once is their anything negative said not once ,,,hmmmm
Old 01-20-2015, 10:29 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeck View Post
I read Hauls of Shame regularly and think it is an excellent site in exposing hobby corruption. I equate Peter Nash to being the Jose Canseco of memorabilia. He may have a ton of skeletons in his closet, is accused of being an offender himself, nobody really wants to believe him, but in the end he is dead right on a high percentage of his topics. A very bright guy who obviously does a ton of research on the subject he "shames".
That's a very good analogy and you sum things up quite well.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 01-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
From Doug Allen's indictment:

DOUG ALLEN,
defendant herein, for the purpose of executing the aforesaid scheme, did knowingly cause to be transmitted by means of wire communication in interstate commerce certain wirings, signs, signals, and sounds, namely, an electronic mail message from the Northern District of Illinois to an electronic mail server located in Georgia, said message from DOUG ALLEN to the consignor stating, “I will hit it one more time and let it go . . . cool”;
In violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1343 and 2.

DOUG ALLEN,
defendant herein, for the purpose of executing the aforesaid scheme, did knowingly cause to be placed in an authorized depository for mail matter, to be sent and delivered by the Postal Service, an envelope addressed to Individual C, at an address in Canton, Georgia, containing an invoice reflecting the sale of a 1887 N175 Large Gypsy Queen King Kelly baseball card;
In violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1341 and 2.

Sorry that I'm intimidating a shill bidder.
Ouch.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
"namely, an electronic mail message" -- yes, Morse Code.
You have to admit it was pretty archaic. Kinda like futher affiant sayeth not, or comes now the Plaintiff...

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
“I will hit it one more time and let it go . . . cool”
Sounds like what you say to yourself the last night before breaking up.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Sounds like what you say to yourself the last night before breaking up.

Lmao!!! Thats the funniest thing ive heard in awhile!!!