NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-25-2019, 08:26 AM

Default Rate the top 3 World Series in the 1980's

What three World Series stand out as the best? Please put them in order and answer why they you think they were great.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Despite its outcome, obviously 1986. Speaks for itself.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:32 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

One of them has to be 1912. Series goes 8 games (with a tie in Game 2) and in the finale, it's Matty and Joe Wood taking it into extra innings. The Giants score in the top of the tenth, but Matty can't hold the lead. Snodgrass drops a fly ball to let the leadoff hitter reach base, then he makes a spectacular catch off Hooper to make up for it. Matty walks the light-hitting Steve Yerkes, then gets Speaker to lift a harmless pop foul near first base.

But Matty calls for the slowest man on the field - burly catcher Chief Meyers, to take that pop-up. First baseman Merkle could have easily trotted over and taken it, but instead, Meyers lumbered the best he could, and didn't get there in time. Legend has it Speaker called out to Matty: "You just called for the wrong man. Now it's going to cost you this ballgame."

Whether or not that happened, Speaker proceeded to single home the tying run, and after an intentional walk, Larry Gardner won the game, and the Series, with a sacrifice fly.

Had that final inning been captured on film, it would be forever remembered as a worthy rival to 1986 Game 6 in terms of a team rising from the dead to win.

But, this was Game 8, extra innings, Wood vs. Mathewson.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:38 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

3) The one the Yankees didn't play
2) The one Mattingly didn't play
1) fill your own in here

Last edited by Paul S; 05-25-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
One of them has to be 1912. Series goes 8 games (with a tie in Game 2) and in the finale, it's Matty and Joe Wood taking it into extra innings. The Giants score in the top of the tenth, but Matty can't hold the lead. Snodgrass drops a fly ball to let the leadoff hitter reach base, then he makes a spectacular catch off Hooper to make up for it. Matty walks the light-hitting Steve Yerkes, then gets Speaker to lift a harmless pop foul near first base.

But Matty calls for the slowest man on the field - burly catcher Chief Meyers, to take that pop-up. First baseman Merkle could have easily trotted over and taken it, but instead, Meyers lumbered the best he could, and didn't get there in time. Legend has it Speaker called out to Matty: "You just called for the wrong man. Now it's going to cost you this ballgame."

Whether or not that happened, Speaker proceeded to single home the tying run, and after an intentional walk, Larry Gardner won the game, and the Series, with a sacrifice fly.

Had that final inning been captured on film, it would be forever remembered as a worthy rival to 1986 Game 6 in terms of a team rising from the dead to win.

But, this was Game 8, extra innings, Wood vs. Mathewson.

Mark- I strongly disagree. The 1912 World Series was definitely NOT one of the top 3 World Series in the 1980s! For that matter, neither was the 1991 World Series.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-25-2019, 03:53 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Ahhhh, who reads titles of threads? I just post random thoughts.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Ahhhh, who reads titles of threads? I just post random thoughts.
LOL it was a well done post anyhow.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:51 PM

I'm confused. I posted a question regarding the 1980's World Series ... and Mark17 responded with a random comment that had nothing to do with the thread subject.

What happened here? Mark17, I want to assume that you're not an idiot! So could you please help explain what happened here?
Old 05-26-2019, 08:33 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

I am an idiot.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:40 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
I am an idiot.

No. You're not.

As we go along, we all have occasional difficulty with our RAM...yours is just with the 'R' part...which is far better than having issues with the 'A' or the 'M' parts.

'Randomizing comments keeps us all on our toes'- unknown writer.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-27-2019, 09:05 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

How about the '86 Series, the '88 Kirk Gibson/Dodgers upset, and the Earthquake Series a year later?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2019, 09:33 PM
Eric Pugh

Default My top three in order

1. 1986
2. 1985
3. 1982
Old 05-29-2019, 10:28 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The only Series during the 80's that mattered for me was 1985, the I70 Series. A classic 7 game series. KC shouldn't have beaten Toronto, won in 7 games, or beaten the Cardinals as both teams were better than KC.

Behind a 20 year old Bret Saberhagen and aging HoF George Brett, coupled with timely hitting from the rest of the team, KC won game 6 which is one of the greatest games in WS history, and blew out the Cardinals in game 7 for the WS Championship.

30 years later in 2015, KC is back for the Win! Watch out in 2045!
Old 05-29-2019, 10:43 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
The only Series during the 80's that mattered for me was 1985, the I70 Series. A classic 7 game series. KC shouldn't have beaten Toronto, won in 7 games, or beaten the Cardinals as both teams were better than KC.

Behind a 20 year old Bret Saberhagen and aging HoF George Brett, coupled with timely hitting from the rest of the team, KC won game 6 which is one of the greatest games in WS history, and blew out the Cardinals in game 7 for the WS Championship.

30 years later in 2015, KC is back for the Win! Watch out in 2045!
The 32 year old George Brett who led the league in OPS that season and was to win his last batting title 5 years later might object to the implication of calling him "aging HOF"

OH and the correct answer is:

in no particular order.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-31-2019, 07:42 AM

1985 Royals come back in the 9th of game 6 with the help of a bad call and win game 7.

1986 Mets come back in the 10th of game 6 and win game 7.

1987 Twins come back from down 3-2 to win the last 2 at home and all 4 home games in the Series.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:07 AM
D.an Jackso.n

KC won game 6 which is one of the greatest games in WS history

Slight chuckle on this comment, Lou.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:25 PM
Jay T.

1986, 1982 and 1987 in that order.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Jay T.

1986, 1982 and 1987 in that order.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Bill Gregory

I enjoyed the 1982 Series until I didn't.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.