NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 12-07-2023, 12:24 PM
Dave

Default 2024 Boxing HOF Inductees

I didn't think they did these until January for some reason, but got an E-mail from the HOF and here you go.

Discuss.

Quote:
The Class of 2024 includes Ricky “The Hitman” Hatton, Michael “Double M” Moorer, Ivan “Iron Boy” Calderon and Diego “Chico” Corrales (posthumous) in the men’s Modern category; Jane “The Fleetwood Assassin” Couch and “La Guerrera” Ana Maria Torres in the Women’s modern category; trainer Kenny Adams, manager Jackie Kallen and publicist Fred Sternburg in the Non-Participant category; journalist Wallace Matthews and broadcaster Nick Charles (posthumous) in the Observer category; Luis Angel Firpo (posthumous) in the Old Timer category and Theresa Kibby (posthumous) in the women’s Trailblazer category.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 12-07-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:34 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I totally missed this vote was happening this month.

Good class, I'd like a really old-timer to get in every year but that's just my bias. Does Kibby have any cards? I'm not aware of one. Moorer is in all the 1991 sets and probably has the most available stuff of this group.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:44 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I totally missed this vote was happening this month.

Good class, I'd like a really old-timer to get in every year but that's just my bias. Does Kibby have any cards? I'm not aware of one. Moorer is in all the 1991 sets and probably has the most available stuff of this group.

Hatton has a 2002 Brown's Boxing Card. Strange if he doesn't have something earlier from the U.K.

I'll be honest. I've never even heard of Theresa Kibby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RickyHatton2002Browns07Sept2613.JPG (70.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 12-07-2023, 12:52 PM
Dave

Luis Angel Firpo is further proof, the HOF looooooooves Heavyweights.

He's a very interesting story, but he beat a bunch of gatekeepers and showed up in a famous painting for knocking Dempsey out of the ring early in a fight...and then promptly getting bludgeoned when Dempsey got back in the ring.

Probably about a 100 dozen lighter weight fighters deserve getting in the HOF ahead of him.

Having said that, it's not a surprise, is mostly a petty argument, and I'm happy for the families of any old-timers who get recognized by the greater public at this late a stage in the game.

It IS the Hall of "FAME"....and he is pretty "famous" within the sport.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:55 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Hatton has a 2002 Brown's Boxing Card. Strange if he doesn't have something earlier from the U.K.

I'll be honest. I've never even heard of Theresa Kibby.
Ha, neither have I. I had to search who she was, which is why I asked. Usually I recognize the names from cards rather than ring talent.

TCDB has the 2002 Browns as Hatton's only card before his 2011 Ringside appearances, but that can't be complete. He must have something else.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:00 PM
Dave

Looking up Theresa Kibby, she was certainly more deserving than Jackie Tonowanda, who inexplicably went in a couple years ago for some reason.

Don't think you'll find many boxing cards for 1970's era female boxers unfortunately.