NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-01-2020, 08:28 AM
Rob

Here it is.

image host
Old 02-01-2020, 09:03 AM
Rob

It would have joined these guys. I bid $100+, hoping it would fly under the radar. I would have liked to get it but my bid pretty much shows it wasn't a "must have" for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (81.2 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2719.jpg (78.7 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2718.jpg (76.1 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2717.jpg (76.6 KB, 370 views)
Old 02-01-2020, 10:23 AM
Rob

I think the Reds, Dodgers and Phillies were the only other "good" ones in that lot. Yes?
Old 02-01-2020, 11:21 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yes... but the Sonics and Knicks both have a pretty funky groove to them (if you're into '70s stuff!)
Old 02-01-2020, 01:30 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Yes... but the Sonics and Knicks both have a pretty funky groove to them (if you're into '70s stuff!)
Like the Sonics one too! Don’t forget the soiled Jays...that one is prob worth $2

Last edited by baseball tourist; 02-01-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:34 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Great observation, Rob...

Same artist as the Braves for sure. Now we just need to know the maker of these pennants (paging Mr. Domer!)

I bet there are many more from this series just waiting to be identified. While we're at it, below is a Senators Pennant that's definitely from the same maker as the Redskins (note the obvious similarities...)
OK, so I got the Browns Pennant and now I can shed some light on the above question. The white paint has a unique texture to it… Somewhat thick, and with very fine lattice-like grooves. Not smooth.. I took a closeup, hope it comes through, I think if you zoom in you can see it. Anyway, this enabled me to find others in my collection that have the same print, you’ve seen these before.

On another note, it’s basically mint condition, and it has me kicking myself that I missed the accompanying Braves pennant.

Last edited by thetahat; 02-01-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:51 PM
Rob

Quote:
Yes...I would've kept the 3 basketball and the black/white Giants and sold the rest. Are the Dodgers and Phillies repros?
Old 02-01-2020, 11:39 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I don’t think they’re repros, I’ve never seen a bootleg repro. I think they’re cheaply made 70’s versions of the old 60’s pennants. To me it looks like they’re made from the thinner synthetic material, but who knows. Can’t believe the group went for that.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:24 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Yes...I would've kept the 3 basketball and sold the black/white Giants to the other Rob.
Fixed.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:09 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Fixed.
Hahaha...or that.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:10 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I don’t think they’re repros, I’ve never seen a bootleg repro. I think they’re cheaply made 70’s versions of the old 60’s pennants. To me it looks like they’re made from the thinner synthetic material, but who knows. Can’t believe the group went for that.
Yeah...That makes sense. They looked too thin. The curling is a tell tale sign of low quality.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:54 AM
Rob

Quote:
Yeah...That makes sense. They looked too thin. The curling is a tell tale sign of low quality.
Hell, the Giants may have been that synthetic crap, too.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I have that Phillies baby blue variation. Believe it or not, the felt is thick and soft. Typical early sixties AdFlag… just a different color variation from what you normally see. It's no more recent than mid-sixties, IMO.

The Green Dodgers does appear to be the thinner/stiffer/cheaper/newer "felt" (if you can even call it that).

Last edited by perezfan; 02-02-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:06 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Mark,
I’ve seen that same one in the thicker felt. Just looks a little wrong. Sometimes it appears that way when the pennant was not really used at all and still very stiff, but I have seen some of those (like the dodgers) that are made with same design on new 70’s product. Pretty rare to find like that.

Rob,
Good show on the 1958 pennants. I have had a number of those variations over the years. The blue colored one dated 1958 was part of a find a bought probably 20 years ago from Northern Calirfornia. I think there was maybe 10 of those, but much less of the undated ones. Maybe because they were able to continue to sell the undated ones. Who knows.

Rob / Mark,
Did you pick up any of those ones in Hunt yesterday? There was a few toughies. I bought some other memorabilia for my personal collection. Some one of a kind items.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Not me. Shut out completely. They realized very high prices on everything I found enticing. Not sure of the extent hidden reserves came into play, as Hunt does allow them.

Regardless, I thought the bidding was very aggressive with very few bargains to be had.

Last edited by perezfan; 02-02-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

There was some crazy bidding for sure. That Yellow Jackets pennant almost stalled out at $650 then went for 10x that amount. One of a kind though. The early stuff went crazy during live bidding, although there were a few items I thought should have went much higher. I was satisfied with what I paid for the items I bought, but it was fun watching the action on some of the others.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:09 AM
Rob

I was only watching the pennants. I thought there was a lot of really cool memorabilia in this auction, but I've narrowed my focus lately pretty much to only pennants and diverted much of my 2020 disposable income to travel...So I had a feeling I'd be uncompetitive on most lots. I would've loved some of the Pottsville, Canton, Bears broadsides and banner...But at those prices, I'd rather go to Portugal, etc.

Really loved the Bears stuff...It was hard to keep my finger from swiping.

The Yellow Jackets pennant and display was very cool, but not knowing the condition of the pennant...and not being the Yellow Jackets fan that I know others are...I didn't even place a bid on it.

I was interested it the phantom Colts Super Bowl pennant, but not for $500+. There was no mention in the Hunt description that this was phantom. The Colts lost the Super Bowl in 1969.

The pair of Yankees pennants were a relative bargain, but I have both...possibly multiples of both so I passed. Hunt also mistakenly described these as being from the same team. The Yanks and Yankees were different teams. One in the AAFC and one in the NFL.

Seems many of the pennants were being bid on by people who never heard of eBay. The Chiefs 1969 World Champs pennant selling for $500+ all in, is comical. I've got a couple of those and paid under $100 each time.

Then the lot of 10 single bar helmet pennants selling for $280 all in. $28 per. That's funny.

The lot of eight 1950-60s pennants selling for $750+ all in. Each of those pennants sell regularly for under $100, some well under $100. The winner could've saved at least $200 by buying them individually on eBay right now.

I won the Dons pennant lot. Thought I was getting it for $200, but at the last second somebody threw another bid on it (Anyone here?). So I got it for $250, which will turn into about $330 after BP, Tax and Shipping. Hoping to recoup a good chunk of that on the red one, which I already have and get the stiff arm for a bargain. It's not a rare Dons pennant, just one I've missed out on many times and wanted to add to the collection. That last second bid turned this into an ok bargain instead of a nice bargain. I should've let it go....but I had been outbid on everything to that point and hate being shut out.

Last edited by Fballguy; 02-03-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:02 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I don’t know if it was me on the Dons, but I had initially bid on them. Can’t remember if I did during the live auction. Still a decent for those two. I bought some other memorabilia, but saw some strong prices on the common stuff.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:43 PM

Default Yellowjackets

I was the underbidder on the Yellowjackets pennant. I didn’t love the display, as a 1927 program didn’t really fit the display with a 29 pennant and assorted 29 player photos. I would have framed the pennant by itself but was concerned if it and the other items could be safely removed (given some of the descriptions of other lots).
I don’t think the auction ever stalled at $650 in actuality. I was a phone bidder, and said yes to $750 but nearly 2 minutes passed (or at least seemed like it) before they took the bid and it showed up on invaluable. I think there was a delay for some reason with that lot.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:58 PM
Rob

Anyone here pick up this pennant on eBay recently?

image host

The guy had it listed at $75 BIN and I thought it we fairly rare. Paid immediately as I always do then noticed it was re-listed on ebay later that afternoon. Same pictures, same description. So I message the guy and ask what's up. No response. I figure, maybe it was a mistake. I'll wait and see what happens.

The guy eventually marks item shipped, but doesn't upload a tracking number. I send a message asking for the number and receive no response.

Ebay's estimated delivery day comes and goes, and I send one more message to the seller. 24 hours goes by with no response so I open a case with ebay. 24 hours later I receive this:

Hi rob
I want to apologize for not responding sooner. I had your item marked as shipped and planned to have it dropped off this Monday after I had went to my warehouse. It had been burglarized and vandalized until today I finally came to terms with my insurance companies offer to pay for the damage/loss.

Well anyway to make a long story short. The pennant I was going to mail to you was taken along with a couple other buyers items I sold this past week.A FAMILY MEMBER OF MINE IS LOST ON DRUGS.

I WILL REFUND YOU BUT I CANNOT PAY UNTIL NEXT THURSDAY. I WILL PAY YOU THEN BUT IF YOU NEED THE MONEY RIGHT NOW YOU CAN ASK EBAY TO STEP IN.

IM TRULY SORRY ABOUT THIS. I KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO BUY SOMETHING AND THEN WAIT ONLY TO HAVE IT COME UP EMPTY. EITHER WAY PLEASE.LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IN REGARDS TO REFUND. I WILL PAY YOU NEXT THURSDAY!!! I CAN PROMISE YOU THAT.

BEST REGARDS

Of course I call eBay and they say, I'll have my refund by Saturday. The guy had decent feedback, one neg in the last 12 months and 82 positives. Would be more willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt if he didn't sell the second listing on the same day. Wondering if anyone here is getting the same story...or maybe they got the pennant?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:16 PM
Rob

^^^^ What ever became of the re-listed item?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:33 PM
Rob

Quote:
^^^^ What ever became of the re-listed item?
It sold the same day as mine. If you check the sellers sold items, both sales appear. He never did explain that. I'm guessing someone else out there is having a similar experience.

Last edited by Fballguy; 02-05-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:25 AM
Rob

Quote:
It sold the same day as mine. If you check the sellers sold items, both sales appear. He never did explain that. I'm guessing someone else out there is having a similar experience.
Was it relisted at the same $75 BIN?

The whole thing is definitely fishy.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:24 AM
Rob

Quote:
Was it relisted at the same $75 BIN?

The whole thing is definitely fishy.
Yes...Same price. Same everything. It was like he just hit "Relist". I'm pretty confident who ever responded to the second listing hasn't received anything either.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:45 AM
Rob

Weird. I thought it was a case of him realizing he “sold” it too cheap.

Maybe he’s the one on drugs.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:33 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yeah, it's typically a $125 - $175 pennant.

Something fishy is definitely going on there. Rob, if you can provide the seller's name, it would be great to know who to avoid.

Thanks for posting!
Old 02-06-2020, 12:57 PM
Rob

The user ID: Paueste_4

His feedback doesn't look too bad. One neg a while ago offset by 82 positives in the past year. I've been expecting it to take some hits but so far nothing.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:06 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Just a heads-up....

I'll be posting a new thread on the Memorabilia BST later today. A second installment of the pennant sale should be live by about 12:30 PM, Pacific Time.

Fewer pennants this time around, but some cool/rare ones none-the-less...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Feb1.jpg (75.1 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg Feb2.jpg (73.1 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Feb3.jpg (73.4 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg Feb4.jpg (72.5 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg Feb5.jpg (70.7 KB, 261 views)
Old 02-06-2020, 02:04 PM
Marc

I'd really like to get the Astros pennant, Mark. Nor sure if it is too early to make a claim.

Bang the trash can once for yes.

Last edited by bocca001; 02-06-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The "pre-sign stealing" Astros Pennant has sold prior to the listing being active (needless to say, it went to the right guy).

BST listing is now up, with one more pennant to follow in its own thread.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:31 PM
Mike Reid

Looking for some info on this Tigers Pennant. Did a quick search on eBay and didn’t see it. Any idea about the time period of issue. It was listed in the auction as from the 60’s/70’s time frame. I have a handful of Tiger pennants from that time frame but am unfamiliar with this one. Thanks for any help.
8FF489C3-71CE-4C2A-ACE1-69999F585184.jpg
Old 02-06-2020, 08:41 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yes, it’s a rather rare variation. Pretty cool graphics, huh! I have the more common red version, but like your burgundy one much better.

I would pinpoint that one to the 1967-68 time period. One of their last, if not their final “Stadium” Pennant. Must have had a rather limited production run. Great pickup!

Last edited by perezfan; 02-06-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:29 AM
Mike Reid

Mark: thanks for the quick response. The graphics are really cool and the pennant is in really nice shape.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:15 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I also believe the Redskins and Senators are Adflag. The Redskins was part of a larger find in the Chicago area many years ago of unsold stock. Same thing applies with the Senators. I may know that seller.

I have bought those in groups that originated from that Chicago / Milwaukee area from old vendors many years ago. I have a number of Adflag pennants from those same groupings.

I wish I could go back in time. Don’t seem to find too many pennant finds anymore.
This Senators pennant has been a subject of discussion among D.C. area collectors and dealers for many years in that there are two variations in materials, the more common stiffer version and a rarer soft-cloth example. I thought for a while it might have been repro'd, but now it seems more likely they started with the soft material but then switched to the stiffer model for the bulk of the issue.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:33 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Anyone pick up that Mickey Mantle day pennant with the photo on eBay. Not the reprinted one, but the fabric one that ended on eBay yesterday? I bid, but not enough. Whoever got it, it’s a sweet piece. Kudos to you.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Rob

The seller is calling this a 1924 LA Angels PCL pennant. Don't know about that, but I thought I'd provide a picture of the label for Domer's archive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LA.jpg (79.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (70.6 KB, 206 views)
Old 02-09-2020, 12:02 AM

I'm no PCL expert ... but I say: No chance. That's a 1910-era travel/souvenir pennant. I've seen plenty of similar pennants from that era using that same font. The fact that this same font was once used on the Angel uniforms doesn't mean much.

And, I don't think the Angels ever wore scarlet/gold uniforms.

Appreciate the heads-up on the label. I've seen this company listed among early pennant makers of southern California; but, I believe this is the first label/pennant of theirs I've seen.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:27 AM

Default Fisch & Co., Los Angeles, CA

Here's a 1929 advertisement for Fisch & Co I found in my files.

I would imagine they made a lot of early Univ. of Southern Cal. pennants back in the day, seeing as they were located a few blocks east of campus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (37).jpg (16.3 KB, 195 views)
Old 02-09-2020, 09:31 AM
Rob

^^^^ It looks like they offered font choices and the Los Angeles “PCL” font is right in the center of the ad (far right column).
Old 02-09-2020, 06:23 PM
Rob

Welp....the “PCL” pennant went for $262, plus tax.

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 02-10-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:41 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Default Storing these things...

A few people have asked about the best way to store vintage pennants (provided you aren't going to hang them, and/or have limited space...)

I use these Bins, which can be bought at Target, Home Depot, etc. Without measuring, they are roughly 36" long X 15" wide X 8" high. So they can slip under a bed frame, if so desired. They are often sold as Wrapping Paper Containers.

If you get the right ones, you can go both directions, and fit 2 stacks of pennants. They also have a small "well" which circles the perimeter of the bottom. This can be used for adding cedar balls, which deter insects and moths (see pics below...) This is the most secure and best way that I have found to store pennants. Hope it's helpful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bins3.jpg (76.8 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg Bins1.jpg (78.7 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Bins2.jpg (73.1 KB, 166 views)
Old 02-10-2020, 11:45 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
A few people have asked about the best way to store vintage pennants (provided you aren't going to hang them, and/or have limited space...)

I use these Bins, which can be bought at Target, Home Depot, etc. Without measuring, they are roughly 36" long X 15" wide X 8" high. So they can slip under a bed frame, if so desired. They are often sold as Wrapping Paper Containers.

If you get the right ones, you can go both directions, and fit 2 stacks of pennants. They also have a small "well" which circles the perimeter of the bottom. This can be used for adding cedar balls, which deter insects and moths (see pics below...) This is the most secure and best way that I have found to store pennants. Hope it's helpful!
A picture is worth a 1000 words. Thanks, Mark!
Old 02-10-2020, 02:35 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:

Awesome Mark! Cedar balls are a great idea.

Now let’s please see pictures of every pennant in that bin ...
Old 02-10-2020, 02:38 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Awesome Mark! Cedar balls are a great idea.

Now let’s please see pictures of every pennant in that bin ...
That’s just his “3rd tier” stuff.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:01 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

I'm not into pennants but noticed this one on American Pickers tonight. It was hanging on a motorcycle they showed a picture of when Mike was negotiating a motorcycle deal in a guys garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200210_205322.jpg (81.0 KB, 150 views)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:55 PM

That's a sweet pennant. Thanks for sharing that image. I wonder if any of those have survived the past 100 years..?

Is the illustration of a baseball player wielding a bat ... or an iron worker holding some steel?
Old 02-10-2020, 10:05 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

I'm guessing bat but not certain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200210-230441_Gallery.jpg (77.1 KB, 144 views)
Old 02-10-2020, 11:05 PM
Rob

Quote:

I'll give you $500 for everything in the bin Mark sight unseen.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:10 PM
Rob

It's a bat...

image host
Old 02-11-2020, 10:07 AM
Stephen

Default Re-coloring Pennants?

So I looked back through the thread trying to find the info on how to re-color a pennant and had no luck. Can someone point me in the right direction or just message me privately.

Thanks

Always looking for vintage Tiger pennants!!

Last edited by ser1979; 02-11-2020 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added info