NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Where do you think the value of a T206 Wet Sheet Tranfer should be"?
Less than an example without "quality control issues." 19 14.39%
The same as cards without the extra "markings." 16 12.12%
A slight premium should apply; however, not raise the value dramatically. 37 28.03%
A moderate premium should apply. They are relatively scarce and should be valued accordingly. 19 14.39%
A significant premium should apply, given the supply of and demand for them. 2 1.52%
I simply do not care. 39 29.55%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Eric Perry

Default Poll: What is your opinion on the value of T206 WST (Wet Sheet Transfers)?

As some of you know, I picked up a T206 WST over the weekend, and am pretty excited. I started a thread about it and someone weighed in about the premium (or lack thereof) placed on these cards.

Being the curious type, I figured I would post a poll here to see where people think the values on these print oddities should be.

Thanks, in advance, to all who participate. Additionally, I want to thank Leon for helping me figure out how to post a poll.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hi Eric
Poll Questions can only be 100 total characters long so you need to revise yours, specifically 3,4 and 5, I believe. Sorry about that.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hi Eric
Poll Questions can only be 100 total characters long so you need to revise yours, specifically 3,4 and 5, I believe. Sorry about that.
Leon,

Thanks again for helping me with this. I believe the revisions have been done successfully.

My apologies for being so verbose

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 PM

Default great card Eric....

keep the hunt going.....alot of the "thrill" is seeing one pop up somewhere....the more dramatic the wst, the more the premuim is the rule of thumb....the problem is putting a number on it
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
...the more dramatic the wst, the more the premuim is the rule of thumb....the problem is putting a number on it
Johnny,

Thanks for weighing in here. What you say makes quite a bit of sense.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Default T205

Not a T206, but I just found this one. Actually have had it for years, but I never thought it amounted to much.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Barry Arnold

Default wst

I think they're a very interesting anomaly, particularly when I see them on
Tolstoi cards.
I'd pay a small to medium premium.
all the best,
barry
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Bill K@sel

I would (and have) paid a slight premium on them, because of their uniqueness. It all depends on the level of detail in the transfer and the situation. To me they are certainly in a separate category to ghost images and mis-prints, with the latter two commanding more of a premium. Great poll and discussion though.

Question; with the case of a WST from a different brand on a card, would people lean towards that happening at the time of production, or the case that Steve put forth, where conditions were just right (or wrong) and over time in storage the ink transferred over?

I guess I would lean towards Steve's theory, but I am not too versed on how or where the different brands were produced (same factory, same time, different brand - see example below).

Thanks!

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206overallpbfront.jpg (51.1 KB, 180 views)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkm_bky View Post
I would (and have) paid a slight premium on them, because of their uniqueness. It all depends on the level of detail in the transfer and the situation. To me they are certainly in a separate category to ghost images and mis-prints, with the latter two commanding more of a premium. Great poll and discussion though.

Question; with the case of a WST from a different brand on a card, would people lean towards that happening at the time of production, or the case that Steve put forth, where conditions were just right (or wrong) and over time in storage the ink transferred over?

I guess I would lean towards Steve's theory, but I am not too versed on how or where the different brands were produced (same factory, same time, different brand - see example below).

Thanks!

Bill
Bill - I think the 'different front and back ad' is almost certainly from cards being stuck together for a long time. But yours is very nice.

It doesn't make sense that a sheet of Sweet Caps would be stacked on a sheet of Polar Bears, since the cards are going in different packs.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Belltown Vintage

I own a few, and it was on purpose, but I didn't (and wouldn't) pay a premium. If the WST was different from the back ad, then I would pay a BIG premium.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Sean Costello

Can anyone explain this one. I think it must be a wet sheet transfer, but I've never seen one so dark.

scan0036.jpg
Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Can anyone explain this one. I think it must be a wet sheet transfer, but I've never seen one so dark.
Hi Sean,

Ron Kornacki explained in another thread how this may have happened on the press. Keep in mind he was talking about how front images would be printed on the back, so for your card think about it in reverse.

"I'm not sure of the exact printing method that was used back then. Maybe it was offset printing where a plate image transfers to a blanket cylinder and then onto the paper. If the paper is not fed, the blanket image will transfer to the impression cylinder. If that happens, a reversed image would print on the back side of the paper the same time the image is printed on the front. Normally the impression cylinder would be cleaned if a misfeed happened before feeding another sheet in to avoid the error reverse printing. This is most likely the reason for how detailed some wet sheet transfers are. Its because Tim's card is actually an impression cylinder transfer and not a wet sheet transfer."
Old 03-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
Hi Sean,

Ron Kornacki explained in another thread how this may have happened on the press. Keep in mind he was talking about how front images would be printed on the back, so for your card think about it in reverse.

"I'm not sure of the exact printing method that was used back then. Maybe it was offset printing where a plate image transfers to a blanket cylinder and then onto the paper. If the paper is not fed, the blanket image will transfer to the impression cylinder. If that happens, a reversed image would print on the back side of the paper the same time the image is printed on the front. Normally the impression cylinder would be cleaned if a misfeed happened before feeding another sheet in to avoid the error reverse printing. This is most likely the reason for how detailed some wet sheet transfers are. Its because Tim's card is actually an impression cylinder transfer and not a wet sheet transfer."
Great stuff - missed Ron's post. I have one of these (not a great one) and always wondered how they were created.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Great stuff - missed Ron's post. I have one of these (not a great one) and always wondered how they were created.
Hi Scott, Here's the post Tim was talking about.

T205 Print? Oddity
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=164688

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Sean Costello

[QUOTE=Abravefan11;1098910]Hi Sean,

Tim, thank you once again for some helpful information. I think you've put more work into my set than I have these last two months. Now I will have to distinguish between a wet sheet transfer and this Tinker "impression cylinder transfer." But at least I understand how it happened. Sort of.

Last edited by Sean; 03-05-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Eric Perry

Wow!

Nearly 100 votes…and the views are approaching 1,000.

I would like to take a moment to thank everyone who has participated in this thread thus far.

Regardless of what your stance is on the value of a T206 WST, I appreciate all those who weighed in here and truly value all of your opinions. It has been a tremendous learning experience.

Keep up the great discussion.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 PM

Default Eric....

You are what makes this board great
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Eric Perry

Default You da man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
You are what makes this board great
Johnny,

Thanks for the kind words, bro. Glad to know I am making a contribution here.

Be well, my friend...and please know that I find your enthusiasm for this hobby to be incredibly addictive.

Best,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I used to own this one, different pass possibly. It's missing the bottom portion and some PL.

Last edited by atx840; 03-06-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Eric Perry

Chris,

Thank you very much for posting these images. They look amazing.

And I do see your point regarding the overlay of Piedmont ad blue ink on top of the image transfer in the first picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Neat Steve.
A while ago I took a high res scan for board member, it does appear to be under the Piedmont ad and "printed" more so then a transfer from another sheet.
In the second one, I am not so sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
I used to own this one, different pass possibly. It's missing the bottom portion and some PL.
Is it possible that these two cards were subjected to different print processes?

Best,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Sean Costello

Bump
Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Default Slight Premium

I'd like to say that it should not increase the value but I would pay a slight premium for a ghost of one of my favorite players. It is really pretty neat to see the ghost of Cy on a card. We are truly over the edge on finding variations to add value but it keeps things exciting.