NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

Default Your best "baseball talk"?

The thread on Robin Roberts' death includes many testimonials from folks about the great talks they shared with Mr. Roberts. That got me to wondering which former major-leaguer board members had their best "baseball conversation" with.

It's an easy pick for me: Johnny Neun.

Mr. Neun, who played in the majors from 1925 to 1931, was a special instructor for two spring trainings when I was in the Brewers organization. The club brought him to camp in Arizona to spend time with the minor-leaguers in 1985 and '86. He was 85 when I first met him. Each morning, before camp started and the coaches would go over the day's itinerary, we'd have a "One minute with Johnny" session during which he'd share a tip or story from his playing days. It used to piss me off to no end that very few players showed him much respect.

In '85 I spent a lunch break with him and pelted him with questions about when he played for the Tigers. He was a teammate of Ty Cobb for two seasons! In the middle of our chat, out of nowhere, I asked him whether he could tell me much about the Federal League (he was a teenager at the time the league was formed). He gave me a look of surprise, probably trying to figure out why a 22-year-old minor-leaguer was asking him such a question.

That stayed with him, because the next year in camp when we saw each other for the first time, he greeted me with a "Hey, Mr. Historian!"

His favorite story was about how he was the first player to pull off an unassisted triple play to end a game. He did it for the Tigers in 1927.

That year was his last in camp, and four years later he died. I still remember how surreal it felt to be able to talk to someone who could give first-hand accounts of playing baseball in the 1920s. He was a great guy, and his passion for the game -- and how to play it the right way -- was an inspiration.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Bob Pomilla

The guy I enjoyed meeting most, was Bob Cremins, who pitched in a few games for the Red Sox in 1927.

In the late 1980's, when I met Bob, he was renting out boxing rings for small time boxing and karate promotions, in and around NYC. As I was involved in some full-contact karate events, in those days, I had the opportunity to chat a little with Bob after he had installed the ring and before the fights began. Didn't gain any insights that were not already common knowledge among die-hard baseball fans, such as his facing Babe Ruth and getting him to ground out, but admit to being somewhat awed by this man, who had actually pitched to The Babe, so long ago.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 PM

Little Ray Kelly was a close family friend. Ray was The Babe's mascot for about 10 years starting in 1921. He remained a close personal friend of The Babe's until Ruth's death. He used to tell me stories about Ruth and what it was like watching him hit. According to Kelly Ruth called he shot, he was there that day, but who knows. It was incredible just to be like 11 or 12 and sitting next to a guy who watched Babe Ruth hit home runs at the Stadium. The best moment was when I showed him my fledging collection once, which consisted of a Mathewson T206 that I still have, and he asked me if I knew what a pre-nup was.

Last edited by packs; 05-07-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Justin

Last week, I went to game 5 of the Lakers v Thunder series with Barry Bonds. He's become friendly with my stepfather over the last year, but this was my first chance to meet him. I had no idea what to expect. I didn't even know if he would be comfortable talking baseball.

He was a very, very nice guy. He took time for everyone who asked for an autograph or picture. I started the night just asking about his interest in basketball and the Lakers. After enough fans and reporters came up to him, I realized that he loved talking about baseball. I asked him about working out with Ryan Howard during the offseason. He said, "I'm 45 years old, but I killed him in the batting cage. KILLED HIM!" It was clear however, that he was more comfortable discussing the early part of his career (when he could run and play the field). Not a lot of talk about post-2000 ball. I finally understood how he could be friendly with my stepfather: they're both regarded as major jerks in their respective industries, but surprisingly friendly outside of work.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupin11 View Post
Last week, I went to game 5 of the Lakers v Thunder series with Barry Bonds. He's become friendly with my stepfather over the last year, but this was my first chance to meet him. I had no idea what to expect. I didn't even know if he would be comfortable talking baseball.

He was a very, very nice guy. He took time for everyone who asked for an autograph or picture. I started the night just asking about his interest in basketball and the Lakers. After enough fans and reporters came up to him, I realized that he loved talking about baseball. I asked him about working out with Ryan Howard during the offseason. He said, "I'm 45 years old, but I killed him in the batting cage. KILLED HIM!" It was clear however, that he was more comfortable discussing the early part of his career (when he could run and play the field). Not a lot of talk about post-2000 ball. I finally understood how he could be friendly with my stepfather: they're both regarded as major jerks in their respective industries, but surprisingly friendly outside of work.
Very cool!

My wife and I recently had dinner with Peyton Manning and his wife. While eating, we learned that Darryl Strawberry was in the house. Peyton's wife, Ashley, went out of her way to grab Darryl and bring him over. What a special moment that was for me! The 1984 Darryl Strawberry RC is the reason I collect cards. I pulled it from a wax pack at the Ellettsville Little League ball diamond. I have never looked back. I must have had (10) Mattinglys at the time...But no Strawberry. I was worried how he would present himself. If anyone has ever read "The Bad Guys Won" about the '86 Mets, Darryl was painted as the one of the most despicable team mates you could think of. That night, He was absolutely cordial. We talked about current baseball and how the game has changed a bit. Heyward was a big topic since he is being compared to Darryl. Over all, I was very impressed.
Also, He was eating dinner with "The Beaver". You know...Jerry Mathers. Talk about an all time odd couple!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Archive

I've had the chance to work with Bob Feller as his assistant during an autograph session. It was a very rewarding experience.

One of the first questions he asked me was if I served my country. I replied that I had for 4 years. After hearing my reply, it was as if everything changed. I guess you could say a sort of camraderie between veterans.

We sat and talked/joked for hours while he autographed just about everything for the customers. He told me some incredible stories about baseball and his life.

He was very generous also. After the session, he asked me if I wanted anything signed. I told him just a 8x10 for my father. He proceeded to autograph a dozen items in which he placed in a bag and then told me to take them home. No charge whatsoever.

The times and the athletes sure have changed.

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 02-07-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:33 AM

1954--Dale Long ---I was in little league at the time and he was playing for the Hollywood Stars ---years later we communicated by mail ---he was the best !
Old 05-09-2010, 08:16 AM
paulstratton

Default Baseball talk...

Hal Newhouser...during the early 90's, while in college, I worked for a guy who brought in a lot of autograph guests to card shows. Fortunately for me, maybe 5 people lined up to get Hal's auto. Meanwhile, there was a line around the block to get Chris Osgood, Kris Draper, etc. of the Red Wings to sign something. It gave me a great opportunity to spend a couple of hours chatting up Hal about his recent HOF induction, the '45 Series, WWII baseball, etc.. Great memories...
Old 05-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Donny Muth

Default Peyton's wife...

...is still with him? The last I heard was she was moving out and was probably going to file for divorce. I guess she's reconsidered?

On another note, I too was a Strawberry fan. He was my favorite player when I got into baseball cards in 1985. I'll always wonder just how good he could have been. Glad to see that he has apparently turned his life around and was courteous enough come over and meet a fan.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:55 AM

Great choice of topic.

I've visited/interviewed about 130 players over the years. All but a handful were pre-WWII debuts. There are simply too many great stories, but here are a few:

-Hoisting a few beers and chain smoking alongside Joe Hauser. The man was nearly 100. There's nothing like having a few with somebody of that age, ballplayer or not! Joe's mind became clearer with once alcohol and tobacco were introduced into the situation! His favorite subject of discussion was his hatred of former teammate Ty Cobb. He spoke fondly of everyone else.

-Being driven around Bellville, Texas in a "Sanford & Son"-style truck by Ernie Koy and his wife. They took me around town to visit friends and family, which was a different experience then the usual two-hour interview process!

-Sitting by Dario Lodigiani's swimming pool, him telling me of how he played on the same high school team as Joe and Dom DiMaggio.

-Visiting Tot Pressnell for the first of many times. I was 12 years old. Tot had an entire room covered in signed type-1 Burke photos and dozens of signed balls. A few bats were in one corner. One was a Gehrig gamer which the Iron Horse gave to Tot during 1938 Spring Training. Tot was a 31 year old rookie with the '38 Dodgers. Ruth was his coach that season and gave Tot the last glove he ever used. I got to try on the glove as Tot tossed a 1938 NL AS team-signed ball in my general direction. That was likely the most expensive game of catch ever played! Sadly, Pressnell sold what was likely a seven-figure collection to a local attorney who I dare say swindled the heck out of him. $6,000 for the good stuff. This was in the mid-1990's. Tot wouldn't listen to me.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Johnny S

Skipping school in the spring of 1986 for a Twins radio promotional tour with Mike Smithson, Kirby Puckett, and Herb Carneal. We went down to the American Legion and there was only a about a dozen old timers on hand. We were the only kids and Kirby came over to our table and hung out with us all afternoon talking about everything. He made us feel so special and it was like we already knew who he was, he was so funny and such a great person. It was a magical day.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Jim D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWeso81 View Post
Very cool!

My wife and I recently had dinner with Peyton Manning and his wife.
Im a huge Peyton fan, not because of the athlete, which he is the best in my opinion, but because of who he is off the field... im truly envious..... Notice the Colts cap in my profile pic... I have about 700 of his cards, 5 colts jerseys, but have yet to pull an auto of his... one day i will!!!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:26 PM

My favorite baseball talk was actually somewhat of a Boxing talk.

I was at a dinner with my dad - - celebrating the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankees (not sure but it might have been a '55 World Series dinner) - and at our table was Pee Wee Reese. This was not too long after I had worked at Ring magazine - and boxing was one of my favorite topics of conversation.

At every table, there was another baseball great. The whole room was filled with baseball legends. Pee Wee Reese had his son with him at our table.

As it happened.... Pee Wee Reese's son worked in film (boxing film). I sat there and had a great conversation about past and current boxers with Pee Wee and his son. I was in my glory. One of the people at my table remarked at how nice the World Series ring was that Pee Wee was wearing. Without hesitation, he took it off and passed it across the table. My friend at the table tried it on - and then passed it to me.

So.... I put the World Series Ring on.

Just about then - my dad came over to me and said "Joe.... there are a lot of baseball legends here - you should go around and get some autographs"

I answered:
"I am sitting here with Pee Wee Reese. We are talking my favorite subject.... boxing....... and, I am wearing a World Series ring. I am not going anywhere!"

The conversation and dinner was so great... I don't think I ever got out of my chair. I don't miss any of the autographs I could have gotten. Not one bit.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:23 PM

Over the past few years, I have become friends with one of Earl Averill's sons. Really fun to listen to him tell stories about his dad as well as looking through old photo albums and boxes of newspaper articles. In particular, I have always been interested in the All-American baseball tour to Japan (with Moe Berg, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, etc…) and he had a lot to share with me about it. A connection with the past that is slowly disappearing.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
Over the past few years, I have become friends with one of Earl Averill's sons. Really fun to listen to him tell stories about his dad as well as looking through old photo albums and boxes of newspaper articles. In particular, I have always been interested in the All-American baseball tour to Japan (with Moe Berg, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, etc…) and he had a lot to share with me about it. A connection with the past that is slowly disappearing.
I'm glad I learned a bit about the tour from Joe Cascarella. After the Mechanical Man's death in early '93, Croonin' Joe was, as he put it, "The Last of the Mohicans". He seemed such an odd selection for the TOJ team, being a rookie that same year. Following his baseball days, Joe trained thoroughbred horses and ended up in a financially comfortable position. He had a personal secretary up until the day he died. She would type/write all of his correspondence, but he would sign anything that was requested of him. Joe was a very erudite fellow--I think he was an autodidact more than anything else.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 05-10-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default My Ted Williams conversation

1984 was an interesting time for me. I had a great 1 hour conversation with Ted Williams and I spent 4 hours
talking with Phil Rizzuto on 1st class Flight from from Newark Airport.

Here are the highlights from my conversation with Ted.

I started by telling him that I was an avid Yankees fan in the 1950's. But, that I always rooted for him to hit a HR
at Yankee Stadium when the Red Sox were in town. Sure enough, many times he did, well into the RF upper deck.

TED....So, he asked me why I rooted for him ?
ME.....I told him because his name was Ted, and I liked his style. Besides, at the end of the season the Yankees
would always win, anyways.

TED....he smiled at my comment, and then asked me why I was a Yankees fan ?
ME.....because Phil Rizzuto was my neighbor (2 blocks away) in Hillside, NJ

TED....if the Scooter was our Shortstop all those years, we would've been the Champions, instead of the Yankees.

Then I turned the conversation to his BB cards. He was like a little kid....I still remember how enthusiastic he was
" talkin' BB cards ".

ME.....are you aware of how rare your 1954 Bowman card is ?
TED....no, but I signed a contract with Sy Berger of Topps in 1954 and no other Gum Co. could portray me.

Then, without me asking him....Ted went on this long dissertation telling me how Sy Berger was annoyed with him
in 1959 when Fleer approached his agent to do a series of cards depicting Ted's life. Fleer offered Ted $500 to do
this series of 80 cards. Sy Berger offered Ted $1000 to stay with Topps. Ted started laughing, as he told me that a
bidding war between Fleer and Topps ensued. When Fleer upped the ante to $5000, Topps relented. And that guys,
is the real story behind the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set....straight from Ted, himself.

TED....heck, that was a lot of money back then just for having your pictures on a set of gum cards.
ME.....Ted, you ain't kidding, that was my Dad's annual salary.

We continued talking, or I should say Ted continued talking, about all things BaseBall. I intently listened. That was
a tremendous experience I had with Ted that day; and, a conversation that I will never, ever forget.

I've also had some great conversations with Richie Ashburn abd Don Larsen.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 05-11-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Murr the Blurr

Default Best baseball talk

For 15 years I had the pleasure of working for the same newspaper (Edmonton Sun) as Wes Covington. Although we worked on different floors — I was a sportswriter and he was an ad salesman — every time we ran into each other he always had time to go for coffee or meet in the lunchroom for a half-hour's worth of reminiscing and story-telling. And on the rare occasions when he wore his World Series ring, it never failed to draw a small crowd. One spring afternoon in the mid-'80s, when Wes was doing PR work on the side for the Pacific Coast League's Edmonton Trappers, he showed up at work accompanied by Reggie Jackson and a couple of other California Angels who were in town for an exhibition game with the Trappers. Even "Mr. October" was enthralled when Wes started spinning his tales. Good times!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Teddy Z

Hey Ted
I love the story about '59 Fleer. Ya' can't get that stuff in the shiny packs!! Thanks for sharing....and thanks to the others who shared too. I wish I had a great story to tell but I don't.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Though I can't think of anyone with a greater or more public fall from grace than Jose Canseco, my son and I met him backstage at an appearance in the DC area. He was charming and talked to my son (who was about 12 at the time) at length about hitting and baseball. He was wearing "an ankle bracelet" at the time.

If you dislike anyone or have a preconceived notion about them, one of the worst things that can happen to you is to actually meet them. You are almost certain to come away from the experience realizing you are mistaken.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Leon

The Ted Williams 1959 Fleer set was one of the most undervalued set of cards in the early 1980's.
I acquired several complete mint sets (all 80 cards) for $100 each back in 1982. By the late 1980's
these sets were selling for approx. $2000......a really great investment.

And, to hear Ted Williams enthusiatically talk about this set of BB cards was really a tremendous
experience. We talked about many things Base Ball that day in 1984, but this subject was one of
the highlights of our conversation. And, I presented here just the "Reader's Digest" version of it.

TED Z
Old 05-18-2010, 07:42 AM

Default football talk

Dick Lynch was a DB for the Giants in the sixties and their long-time radio announcer. His younger brother worked for my father and we have known the family for many years. Anyway:
When Lynch was dating his wife-to-be in 1962, her family was against her seeing a football player, but Lynch was insistent and planned to fly his fiancee's parents out to NY (from the midwest) to see a game and take them to dinner. They flew out the night before the game and didn't get a chance to meet Dick. Meanwhile, their daughter is telling them what a great guy he is.
They get to the stadium and are waiting for the players to come out for practice. Dick wore #21, so they were looking for him by number. Meanwhile, he and Erich Barnes (another DB), who were good friends figured it would be funny to switch uniforms to shock the hell out of the fiancee's parents (Barnes is African-American). #21 comes out on the field and Dick's in-laws to be almost die because it is Barnes wearing the uni and they think that this is their daughter's boyfriend.
They still got married.
I'm sure he told this story to many people, but I enjoyed it immensely.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I wish I knew his name. He was our mailman when I was growing up. He used to come up onto our porch and sit with me every once in a while and tell me the stories of playing in the negro leagues against Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson and some others I had never heard of at the time and have since forgotten. But I can vividly remember sitting there on the porch, my mom or dad would get him a glass of lemonade. Usually I was probably playing stickball or wiffle ball or catch in the front yard...so he just took a break and would talk to me about playing back in the day. I wish I could remember more of the particulars of what he said, but I was maybe 6 or 7 at the time. I just remember how fascinated I was about what he was telling me. And what a good, kind man he was.

Tom
Old 05-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Bob Lemke

Default Tom Alston . . . sad

Working for SCD all those years I had many conversations with contemporary and former ballplayers.

The most memorable was two hours spent with the Cardinals' first black player, Tom Alston. It was in his room at the Holiday Inn in Bridgeton (sp?) where the old St. Louis shows were held. Must have been late '80s. He was, quite literally, mad. I never wrote up the interview, but I have my notes somewhere . . . maybe some day.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 PM

I agree....Bob Feller is one of the all-time best. I have had the chance to talk to him a few times and he is a class act. I was as much in awe of him for his service during WW2 as is baseball feats.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 PM

I think I've told this before, but it's my only story:

Around 1977 I shared an office with a guy related by marriage to Dick Howser, then third base coach for the Yankees. Howser arranged for my colleague, myself and probably a couple other guys to attend a game in Baltimore, sit with the Yankee wives, and have a beer in the clubhouse after the game. The highlight was dinner with Howser and his wife at a seafood restaurant favored by the Yankees. What sticks in my mind was his candor, especially having just met. He said Reggie was a complete jerk, despised by all, in part for his habit of flashing a wad of 100s at every opportunity.