NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 05-14-2015, 03:04 PM
Steve Liskey

Default 1955 All American Custom Steve Sabol

No intention of stepping on Bob Lemke's toes here, but I also make custom football cards. I looked for the thread that talks about this but didn't find it, so I opted to start a new one.

I've been wanting and waiting to make a football card to honor Steve Sabol for a while. I'm a huge fan of his and I hope my creation pays tribute to him and his great work with NFL Films. So, here it is...

Old 05-14-2015, 04:03 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I like it; I don't know much about Sabol. When was that picture taken? Seems perfect for this series/card.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:13 PM
Steve Liskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I like it; I don't know much about Sabol. When was that picture taken? Seems perfect for this series/card.
Thanks. I would assume the photo was taken when he was playing football in college, probably 1960-64 or so.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:42 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The Heisman pose or the over-the-top background picture? It seems so un-1960s to pose like that in that timeframe. But that may be the 1980s conformist/Family Ties child in me.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:09 PM
Steve Liskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
The Heisman pose or the over-the-top background picture? It seems so un-1960s to pose like that in that timeframe. But that may be the 1980s conformist/Family Ties child in me.
LOL. The black & white background photo I chose for this card is from the first major contract Ed Sabol (Steve's father) had to film - 1962 NFL Championship Game between the NY Giants and Green Bay Packers in Yankee Stadium.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:57 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

That's is really cool. I really like the 55 All Americans. Being from Central Texas I would love to see a Jack Lummus or a Bobby Layne. Maybe the background picture can have him pounding a few trademark beers before getting on the field.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:51 PM
Bob Lemke

Great Steve Sabol card. When I heard of his death, I mentally added him to my to-do list of '55AA customs, but it never rose to the top of the pile.

I believe I'll consider yours to be sufficient tribute.

Matt . . .

Here's my Bobby Layne
Layne, Bobby front new.jpg
Layne, Bobby back.jpg

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 05-18-2015, 03:08 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lemke View Post
Great Steve Sabol card. When I heard of his death, I mentally added him to my to-do list of '55AA customs, but it never rose to the top of the pile.

I believe I'll consider yours to be sufficient tribute.

Matt . . .

Here's my Bobby Layne
Attachment 190958
Attachment 190957
Cool. When I was a kid I was very disappointed that the Longhorns weren't represented in the 55AA's.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:21 AM
Mike Dugan

If you have not had the chance to watch it, everyone should try to catch the NFL Films tribute to Steve. It is very well done and has an extensive piece on his hilarious self promotion while playing at Colorado College.

He wrote wire services and news outlets constantly promoting himself at first at the "Fearless Tot from Possum Trot" a fictional town in Mississippi. He later referred to himself as "Sudden Death" Sabol. They actually had some of his old teammates on the program and they said they loved it.

He actually made All-Rocky Mountain Conference for the Tigers.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:38 AM
Steve Liskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
If you have not had the chance to watch it, everyone should try to catch the NFL Films tribute to Steve. It is very well done and has an extensive piece on his hilarious self promotion while playing at Colorado College.

He wrote wire services and news outlets constantly promoting himself at first at the "Fearless Tot from Possum Trot" a fictional town in Mississippi. He later referred to himself as "Sudden Death" Sabol. They actually had some of his old teammates on the program and they said they loved it.

He actually made All-Rocky Mountain Conference for the Tigers.
I saw that tribute when it was first aired by NFL Network...great piece. Less than a year before his death, Steve bought something from me off eBay. The handle he went by was "Sudden Death". He purchased a couple photos I digitally colorized. I knew he dabbled in art in the form of sports collages, so I assumed they were for that. I was thrilled he thought my stuff was good enough for him to purchase. I knew he had been sick at the time, so I didn't bother reaching out to him. I sort of regret that now.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:09 AM
Mike Dugan

Great story Steve! I have seen his collages, he really seemed like a neat fellow. I wrote him many years ago and he signed his Pro Set card for me an sent along a nice note.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:47 PM

Hi Steve,

Really nice card. I love going to your site and looking at all of the cards that you have createdand made available, especially of players that never had a card during their careers.

On the Steve Sabol card, that background picture is not the Packers @ Giants, but the Bears @ Packers. Note the Bears' distinctive rounded numerals and sleeve stripes on their white road shirts, while the Packers are wearing their home uniforms. In the 1962 Title Game at Yankee Stadium the Packers wore their white shirts and the Giants were in their home Blues with the white NY on the helmets.

Thanks again for making cards like this, it is really great to see them.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Alcorn; 05-21-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:46 AM
Steve Liskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alcorn View Post
Hi Steve,

Really nice card. I love going to your site and looking at all of the cards that you have createdand made available, especially of players that never had a card during their careers.

On the Steve Sabol card, that background picture is not the Packers @ Giants, but the Bears @ Packers. Note the Bears' distinctive rounded numerals and sleeve stripes on their white road shirts, while the Packers are wearing their home uniforms. In the 1962 Title Game at Yankee Stadium the Packers wore their white shirts and the Giants were in their home Blues with the white NY on the helmets.

Thanks again for making cards like this, it is really great to see them.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff! As far as the background photo goes; You mean that my Google search for images of that game was wrong!? No way . I guess that will have to be an uncorrected error on my part. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:25 PM

Hi Steve,

No problem, love to help. I checked, and that game was played in Green Bay on 10-3-61 and I believe the picture is of Jim Taylor scoring in the 3rd quarter on a 3 yard run during the Packers' 24-0 win over the Bears. Richie Petitbon is trying to stop him, but it looks like he is already falling into the end zone. The game must be from 1961 since that is the last year that the Bears played with no "C" on their helmets and the first year that the Packers added the "G" on theirs.

There is a 27 minute highlight film of the 1962 Title Game on Youtube that I watched after seeing this post, and it was great to see a game I had never seen before. Thanks again for the nice cards.

Jeff

Tags
1955 topps all american, nfl films, steve sabol