NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 PM

Default 1952 Topps autographed high # Karl Drews question

I was looking at a lot of 18 1952 topps cards high numbers and there was a autographed Karl Drews card with a autograph. Karl Drews died at the age of 43 in 1963. Im not an autograph guy but out of curiosity how much do you guys think this card is worth being a high number from 1952. Thank you in advance for your opinions.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:45 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

FWIW, there is only one listed as authenticated by PSA.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:53 PM

Default Looks good to me it was not promoted well in the description

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-b...cAAOSwZ1lWelEl
Old 01-03-2016, 07:55 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The Sukeforth is also autographed. 4 of them on the PSA pop report.

http://www.psacard.com/pop/Detail.aspx?c=49722
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 01-03-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:02 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'll chime in

I will use two valuation models:

Only one ever seen was sold before the "auto card craze" about 15 years ago for $1,000. Signed cards in general are up 100-150% over that time. Estimate $2000-2500

A signed 53 topps was recently sold by our esteemed Jim Stinson for $416. Probably a $4 card unsigned, and it is also a double print in that series. This added a 100X multiplier to the base card.

Now look at the 52 high series. The card sells for about $100-150 in vg-ex shape. This 100x multiplier would value the card at $10-15,000. While I don't believe this card would ever sell for that much, it is a scary thought for anyone attempting the set, assuming another even exists. I'd place it in the top 10, if not very close to the top 5 toughest cards in the set.

As far as Sukeforth, any 52 high number is very tough to find. Those who passed before the advent, and proliferation, of TTM autographs are infinitely tougher. That being said, the recent movie "42" demonstrates that "Sukey" was instrumental in signing Jackie Robinson. However, he also played a role in the 1954 draft of Roberto Clemente months after he moved FROM Brooklyn to Pittsburgh. Many of these legendary feats went unnoticed until the recent film, and I'd be surprised if many people had the forethought or means to write/send a 52 High number to him. He was also a coach at the time, and although there were, albeit very, kids writing to players TTM, I think the coaches might have been passed over.

Just my 2 cents, and worth what you paid for it!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-02-2017, 06:13 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Copy with the name box erased hammered at $3383 in LOTG

https://loveofthegameauctions.com/mo...entoryid=13050

Old 04-02-2017, 06:36 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMANOS View Post
I was looking at a lot of 18 1952 topps cards high numbers and there was a autographed Karl Drews card with a autograph. Karl Drews died at the age of 43 in 1963. Im not an autograph guy but out of curiosity how much do you guys think this card is worth being a high number from 1952. Thank you in advance for your opinions.
I did not know that. Way too young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I'll chime in

I will use two valuation models:

Only one ever seen was sold before the "auto card craze" about 15 years ago for $1,000. Signed cards in general are up 100-150% over that time. Estimate $2000-2500

A signed 53 topps was recently sold by our esteemed Jim Stinson for $416. Probably a $4 card unsigned, and it is also a double print in that series. This added a 100X multiplier to the base card.

Now look at the 52 high series. The card sells for about $100-150 in vg-ex shape. This 100x multiplier would value the card at $10-15,000. While I don't believe this card would ever sell for that much, it is a scary thought for anyone attempting the set, assuming another even exists. I'd place it in the top 10, if not very close to the top 5 toughest cards in the set.

As far as Sukeforth, any 52 high number is very tough to find. Those who passed before the advent, and proliferation, of TTM autographs are infinitely tougher. That being said, the recent movie "42" demonstrates that "Sukey" was instrumental in signing Jackie Robinson. However, he also played a role in the 1954 draft of Roberto Clemente months after he moved FROM Brooklyn to Pittsburgh. Many of these legendary feats went unnoticed until the recent film, and I'd be surprised if many people had the forethought or means to write/send a 52 High number to him. He was also a coach at the time, and although there were, albeit very, kids writing to players TTM, I think the coaches might have been passed over.

Just my 2 cents, and worth what you paid for it!
Great info, Ted. I wasn't aware Sukeforth had such an influence/part in Robinson's or Clemente's careers.

The more I find out about the players/managers from my 52 Topps collection, the more I love them!

I noticed this morning, a signed Fannin didn't sell last night, but it did start at $2,500 (min bid)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Karl Drews.jpg (79.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Clyde Sukeforth (Large).jpg (70.3 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by irv; 04-02-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:27 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Cant say I'm surprised by no bids at 2500 start

I'd have to think the original card in questiin would have to be over 5k based on last night's prices