NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Default Boxing Card Show @ Canastota High School

Posted By: Alan

I've heard about the Boxing card & memorabilia show at Canastota High School each year (the Saturday) during the Boxing HOF weekend. From a buyer's point of view, what are your experiences like ? How is the vintage cards selection ? Prices ? etc,... in other words, is it worth going to ? How does it compare to, say, the National ?

Thanks.
Alan

Old 11-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Murr the Blurr

Hi, Alan:

Although I've been to three Nationals, this past June was my first exposure to the Canastota HOF weekend show — and I was blown away. Vintage cards took a back seat to ephemera and memorabilia, but there was definitely something for everybody. I was able to add some hard-to-find 1920s Cuban cards to my collection, along with several vintage programs and ticket stubs I've been chasing for years. I also picked up a nice assortment of pre-WWII wirephotos and a couple of MSG on-site posters from the mid-1960s.

Since it's ALL boxing, it's a buyer's market. Compared to the National and other big shows, depending on what you're looking for, sticker prices range from a little lower (cards, programs) to a little higher (posters, equipment, etc.) than what you might be expect to pay for vintage items. That said, I quickly discovered that boxing collector/dealers rank among the most amiable I've ever dealt with, and rarely are sticker prices "written in stone." Negotiation is expected — even encouraged — and most dealers are also very open to trade proposals.

I'll definitely be back ... but I'll make sure to arrive Thursday night or Friday morning. I learned that a great deal of buying/selling/trading goes on at the local hotel(s) and even in the high school's parking lot the day before the actual show. It's a great atmosphere and very enjoyable.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingbaseballgolf33

I work with a dealer that sets up every year and we do very well with autograph items and programs. We sell a few cards, but the show is great

Jimmy

Old 12-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator

One time, I'd like to go to possibly set-up a small display of Jewish boxing information & memorabilia, not to buy or sell anything, but just to have a display. Perhaps, in conjunction with a Jewish boxer being inducted or some such event... Just a thought.

Alan

Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Did anyone go this past weekend ? Review ?