NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2018, 09:34 PM
Yoda Yoda is offline
Joh.n Spen.cer
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 611
Default AH Blues

Well, I managed to get through the avalanche of auctions over the last few months and am still nearly solvent. But I just don't under stand the allure of PWCC as a consignor. I initially thought they were primarily a dumping ground for lower condition graded cards, but some of the more recent stuff on Ebay was pretty impressive. Here is my query: Why would a consignor go to PWCC with, say, a PSA5 T206 Cobb Green and pay a scheduled fee when he/she could take it to a national AH and pay nothing?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-20-2018, 09:50 PM
Scott L.'s Avatar
Scott L. Scott L. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 337
Default

Quicker $ maybe?
__________________
Scott L@tsko
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-2018, 10:05 PM
mechanicalman's Avatar
mechanicalman mechanicalman is offline
Sam Sw@rtz
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 980
Default Math

If the same PSA 5 Cobb sells for $20k through PWCC and $20k through an auction house, the consignor will cash a check for north of $18k from PWCC and somewhere around $16.6k from the AH.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-20-2018, 10:15 PM
x2drich2000 x2drich2000 is online now
(DJ) Rich.ard.s
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,398
Default

This is a good question and the answer lies in the difference in the fees charged by PWCC and whatever the AH you choose. Taking a look at your example, a PSA 5 green Cobb is probably somewhere in the $15-20k range now (i could be off on that, but simplicity lets just use $15k for an example).

PWCC charges 8% commission for any card over $5k. So if the card sells for $15k, the seller will net $13,800 and PWCC gets $1200.

Most premier AH's charge around 20% buyers premiums (yes I know there are AH with lower BP and for a card of this price you could probably negotiate some percent of the buyers premium but just trying to keep it simple). In order for the consignor to net the same amount as he would with PWCC, the hammer price before the BP would need to be $13,800. Add the 20% buyers premium and the customer would have to pay $16,560. So that would mean the card would need to sell for $1500 more in the auction house for the consignor to net the same amount. As a consignor you need to ask yourself which is more likely to happen and make your choice which way to go from there.
__________________
Current Wantlist:
E93 - Cobb
E92 Nadja - Bescher, Bridwell, Cobb, Crawford, Donovan, Doolan, Doyle (with bat), Evers, Kleinow, Lobert, Mathewson, Tinker, Wagner (throwing), Zimmerman
W554 - Anyone with any red backstamp, Fonseca, Klein, Rommel
E/T Young Backrun - Need E90-1, E92 black Crofts Candy, E92 Dockman, E101, E105, T216 (all versions)
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-20-2018, 10:50 PM
mantlefan's Avatar
mantlefan mantlefan is offline
Frank Evanov
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Manhasset NY
Posts: 165
Default Consigning Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
If the same PSA 5 Cobb sells for $20k through PWCC and $20k through an auction house, the consignor will cash a check for north of $18k from PWCC and somewhere around $16.6k from the AH.


On a high dollar item, the consignment fee is ZERO for many, many AH's including the biggies. At most they will charge 5% on items under $1000.

Some AH's will even give you an extra few points back!! They need stuff to sell. A Green Cobbie will be a featured item and will draw more bidders who will find other stuff to bid on!
__________________
Frank Evanov
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-20-2018, 11:11 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Well, I managed to get through the avalanche of auctions over the last few months and am still nearly solvent. But I just don't under stand the allure of PWCC as a consignor. I initially thought they were primarily a dumping ground for lower condition graded cards, but some of the more recent stuff on Ebay was pretty impressive. Here is my query: Why would a consignor go to PWCC with, say, a PSA5 T206 Cobb Green and pay a scheduled fee when he/she could take it to a national AH and pay nothing?
How do you figure they are paying nothing? Unless the AH is going to kick back some or all of the buyer's premium, they are of course paying via a reduced hammer price attributable to the BP.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-20-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 PM
glchen's Avatar
glchen glchen is offline
_G@ґy*€hℯη_
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
On a high dollar item, the consignment fee is ZERO for many, many AH's including the biggies. At most they will charge 5% on items under $1000.

Some AH's will even give you an extra few points back!! They need stuff to sell. A Green Cobbie will be a featured item and will draw more bidders who will find other stuff to bid on!
There's no buyer's premium on ebay ....

Saying that, a consignor usually wants to find the auction house or consignment shop that they believe will give their items the most visibility, the right buyers, and the auction ending type they believe will bring the highest price for them. There are also other factors such as the service of the AH, the payout speed, and other perks such as cash advances, discounted grading, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-20-2018, 11:15 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
If the same PSA 5 Cobb sells for $20k through PWCC and $20k through an auction house, the consignor will cash a check for north of $18k from PWCC and somewhere around $16.6k from the AH.
Apparently what you call it matters more to people than the math, Sam. So in your example the AH consignor isn't paying anything he's just taking in less money.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-2018, 06:45 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Apparently what you call it matters more to people than the math, Sam. So in your example the AH consignor isn't paying anything he's just taking in less money.
From now on I am mandating that I pay a 20% Sellers premium on my consignments and there will be NO buyers premium. Isn't that better now, Peter? The buyers won't be paying any fee now.
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 05-21-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-21-2018, 08:32 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
From now on I am mandating that I pay a 20% Sellers premium on my consignments and there will be NO buyers premium. Isn't that better now, Peter? The buyers won't be paying any fee now.
Rob will be thrilled that he won't have to pay a premium.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-21-2018, 11:16 AM
mechanicalman's Avatar
mechanicalman mechanicalman is offline
Sam Sw@rtz
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Apparently what you call it matters more to people than the math, Sam. So in your example the AH consignor isn't paying anything he's just taking in less money.
Very true, Peter. I also didn't take into account the many folks who want to spend $20K on a PSA 5 Cobb and bid that amount in an auction, only to receive a surprising bill for $24K.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Very true, Peter. I also didn't take into account the many folks who want to spend $20K on a PSA 5 Cobb and bid that amount in an auction, only to receive a surprising bill for $24K.
When that happens to me I get really pissed.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
From now on I am mandating that I pay a 20% Sellers premium on my consignments and there will be NO buyers premium. Isn't that better now, Peter? The buyers won't be paying any fee now.
This is a great idea. If it's all going to work out the same in the end, why don't they do it.

There's that question again that nobody wants to answer.
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-21-2018, 11:41 AM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Rob will be thrilled that he won't have to pay a premium.
Still waiting to hear your answer Peter.

If it's all the same money...Why do we need a buyer's premium at all?
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-21-2018, 11:48 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Still waiting to hear your answer Peter.

If it's all the same money...Why do we need a buyer's premium at all?
Maybe from an accounting perspective it makes it simpler to keep track of what you pay the consignor and what you keep, than having to calculate percentages of the hammer price in a seller's fee world, but I really don't know or care. You have to do it one way or the other and it comes out to the same thing. Unless of course you think AHs should not take in any money.

Why don't you explain to us why you, knowing a premium is going to be added to your bid and presumably taking that into account like the overwhelming majority of people, care what convention is used for the AH's cut?
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-21-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-21-2018, 01:01 PM
TanksAndSpartans's Avatar
TanksAndSpartans TanksAndSpartans is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 755
Default

Some auction houses now show the BP right in the dropdown when you make the bid which I think is a nice feature.

For the question of why to go with an eBay consigner, I don't think there is any question that it's because you get to keep more of the total amount the buyer pays. For a graded card from a popular set, the eBay route makes a lot of sense to me. For an item that's more of a niche collectable, I think it makes sense to go with the AH, with the hope they will be able to get the right eyeballs on it. Thinking of myself, I don't even bother to keep eBay searches on programs etc. stuff that I know rarely gets auctioned off on eBay - my graded card searches on the other hand turn up hits almost every day.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-21-2018, 01:44 PM
RedsFan1941 RedsFan1941 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 957
Default

if i am correctly following the logic of at least one person, he would rather buy a card on the BST or eBay for $1,000 -- with no evil buyer's premium to deal with -- than get the same card for an $800 bid from an auction house, because it means the total price actually would be $960 with the BP?
__________________
R0nnie L3hman
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Maybe from an accounting perspective it makes it simpler to keep track of what you pay the consignor and what you keep, than having to calculate percentages of the hammer price in a seller's fee world, but I really don't know or care. You have to do it one way or the other and it comes out to the same thing. Unless of course you think AHs should not take in any money.

Why don't you explain to us why you, knowing a premium is going to be added to your bid and presumably taking that into account like the overwhelming majority of people, care what convention is used for the AH's cut?
You're making a bold assumption that every winning bid is suppressed by the exact amount of the buyer's premium in every instance. Dollar for dollar. Percentage point for percentage point. BP equals 20%...High bid is suppressed 20%. BP 10%...High bid supressed 10%.

While the BP does suppress bidding. I don't think it's close to a dollar for dollar match....and the discrepancy there is borne by the buyer...not the seller.

And therefore it's not the same. It's additional.

Except for you and a few of your cronies. Who abide by the 20% off rule when determining your high bid...every time...without fail.
__________________
R0b G@@13t

Last edited by Fballguy; 05-21-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-21-2018, 01:57 PM
Orioles1954 Orioles1954 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post

Except for you and a few of your cronies. Who abide by the 20% off rule when determining your high bid...every time...without fail.
Comic gold!!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:08 PM
ejharrington ejharrington is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 276
Default

I have a question I have been meaning to ask on this board and relates to the topic of this conversation. If I wanted to consign a high-priced item(s) with one of the big auction houses such as REA, Heritage, etc., do I:

a) pay a consignment fee PLUS the buyer's premium of, say, 20%,
b) a consignment fee ONLY,
c) ONLY the buyer's premium of, say, 20%.

Also, I have seen references to the big auction houses waiving or reducing fees for larger priced items. Are they waiving or reducing the consignment fee, the buyer's premium, and/or both? Also, is there an approximate dollar threshold that the AH's consider when determining whether to waive or reduce the fees?

I would appreciate any feedback that people could provide.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:14 PM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
You're making a bold assumption that every winning bid is suppressed by the exact amount of the buyer's premium in every instance. Dollar for dollar. Percentage point for percentage point. BP equals 20%...High bid is suppressed 20%. BP 10%...High bid supressed 10%.

While the BP does suppress bidding. I don't think it's close to a dollar for dollar match....and the discrepancy there is borne by the buyer...not the seller.

And therefore it's not the same. It's additional.

Except for you and a few of your cronies. Who abide by the 20% off rule when determining your high bid...every time...without fail.
It is never additional in my case. If I am willing to pay 1000 for a card, I will snipe at 1000 (including shipping) on Ebay. If I get the card fine, if not fine. With an AH, I see where the next position is. If it is under 1000(with BP and estimated shipping), I will place the bid. If it is more than 1000, I am done. It is really not that hard. I am not bidding 1000 and then being surprised that I have to pay 1200 plus shipping. It may not work out dollar for dollar, but it is pretty close.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:23 PM
sb1 sb1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,734
Default

While I can't answer for the "big auction houses", I can tell you that when anyone consigns with my auction (Brockelman Auctions), they pay no consignment fees of any kind, the buyers pay a low 12 1/2% premium.

Scott
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:24 PM
Orioles1954 Orioles1954 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
I have a question I have been meaning to ask on this board and relates to the topic of this conversation. If I wanted to consign a high-priced item(s) with one of the big auction houses such as REA, Heritage, etc., do I:

a) pay a consignment fee PLUS the buyer's premium of, say, 20%,
b) a consignment fee ONLY,
c) ONLY the buyer's premium of, say, 20%.

Also, I have seen references to the big auction houses waiving or reducing fees for larger priced items. Are they waiving or reducing the consignment fee, the buyer's premium, and/or both? Also, is there an approximate dollar threshold that the AH's consider when determining whether to waive or reduce the fees?

I would appreciate any feedback that people could provide.
B.) and they're paying the consignment fee only

Last edited by Orioles1954; 05-21-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:27 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Comic gold!!!
You can't make this stuff up. No one would believe you. LOL
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:32 PM
x2drich2000 x2drich2000 is online now
(DJ) Rich.ard.s
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
I have a question I have been meaning to ask on this board and relates to the topic of this conversation. If I wanted to consign a high-priced item(s) with one of the big auction houses such as REA, Heritage, etc., do I:

a) pay a consignment fee PLUS the buyer's premium of, say, 20%,
b) a consignment fee ONLY,
c) ONLY the buyer's premium of, say, 20%.

Also, I have seen references to the big auction houses waiving or reducing fees for larger priced items. Are they waiving or reducing the consignment fee, the buyer's premium, and/or both? Also, is there an approximate dollar threshold that the AH's consider when determining whether to waive or reduce the fees?

I would appreciate any feedback that people could provide.
In my opinion an auction house should never adjust the buyers premium in order to get a consignment. If they did adjust the buyer's premium for you, you would have an unfair advantage over other bidders in the auction. Not sure of the legality of it, but seems like creating an unfair bidding platform would at least be unethical.

Auction houses can always adjust your sellers fee for a specific item or consignor. This doesn't create an unfair bidding platform as it shouldn't give you an advantage in bidding on items. It would only put more money in your pocket for the items you consigned. This is one way they can entice a consignor. Most AH's today start with a 0% sellers fee. I know I would have to have a really good reason to consign something with a seller's premium. For high demand, high value items, you can negotiate that fee/item placement/etc and even sometime get a negative sellers fee (a portion of the buyer's premium). As far as when they will waive it or reduce it, that's all up to the individual AH. Some advertise discounts for certain items, some keep it more private. Best bet is to call the AH that you're interested in and see what they will do.

DJ
__________________
Current Wantlist:
E93 - Cobb
E92 Nadja - Bescher, Bridwell, Cobb, Crawford, Donovan, Doolan, Doyle (with bat), Evers, Kleinow, Lobert, Mathewson, Tinker, Wagner (throwing), Zimmerman
W554 - Anyone with any red backstamp, Fonseca, Klein, Rommel
E/T Young Backrun - Need E90-1, E92 black Crofts Candy, E92 Dockman, E101, E105, T216 (all versions)
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:32 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,289
Default

Looney logic if I have ever heard it.

When was the last time a fee was "surprised on you" mid auction? Otherwise, unless you can't read the rules, there are no surprises. Most collectors figure out how to add the 20% to their bid BEFORE the AH does it for them once the lot is closed to bids. Adding 20% (or whatever the BP is) is not that easy I guess....for some. I have bid in hundreds if not thousands of AH auctions and haven't been surprised by the BP yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
It is never additional in my case. If I am willing to pay 1000 for a card, I will snipe at 1000 (including shipping) on Ebay. If I get the card fine, if not fine. With an AH, I see where the next position is. If it is under 1000(with BP and estimated shipping), I will place the bid. If it is more than 1000, I am done. It is really not that hard. I am not bidding 1000 and then being surprised that I have to pay 1200 plus shipping. It may not work out dollar for dollar, but it is pretty close.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Orioles1954 Orioles1954 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Looney logic if I have ever heard it.

When was the last time a fee was "surprised on you" mid auction? Otherwise, unless you can't read the rules, there are no surprises. Most collectors figure out how to add the 20% to their bid BEFORE the AH does it for them once the lot is closed to bids. Adding 20% (or whatever the BP is) is not that easy I guess....for some. I have bid in hundreds if not thousands of AH auctions and haven't been surprised by the BP yet.
The only time I've ever been surprised in my bidding history is with shipping a time or two.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 05-21-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-21-2018, 03:33 PM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Looney logic if I have ever heard it.

When was the last time a fee was "surprised on you" mid auction? Otherwise, unless you can't read the rules, there are no surprises. Most collectors figure out how to add the 20% to their bid BEFORE the AH does it for them once the lot is closed to bids. Adding 20% (or whatever the BP is) is not that easy I guess....for some. I have bid in hundreds if not thousands of AH auctions and haven't been surprised by the BP yet.
How is it Looney logic? If I want to pay 1000, I am not paying more no matter the platform or format.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-21-2018, 03:44 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
You're making a bold assumption that every winning bid is suppressed by the exact amount of the buyer's premium in every instance. Dollar for dollar. Percentage point for percentage point. BP equals 20%...High bid is suppressed 20%. BP 10%...High bid supressed 10%.

While the BP does suppress bidding. I don't think it's close to a dollar for dollar match....and the discrepancy there is borne by the buyer...not the seller.

And therefore it's not the same. It's additional.

Except for you and a few of your cronies. Who abide by the 20% off rule when determining your high bid...every time...without fail.
You raise up your head and you ask, "Is this where it is?"
And somebody points to you and says, "It's his"
And you say, "What's mine?" and somebody else says, "Well, what is?"
And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
But something is happening and you don't know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-21-2018, 03:46 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
How is it Looney logic? If I want to pay 1000, I am not paying more no matter the platform or format.
Perfect. Then you bid up to the amount where you will spend $1000 with whatever fee(s) included. Problem solved. I think you are making it more difficult than it needs to be. A lot of us say to ourselves "I am not going over xx amount" then we deduct the fee pecentage and that is what we bid (assuming we are also understanding there are usually shipping charges to be thrown in too). If you can spend a $1000 then just bid up to $800......then add the Buyers Premium, which is usually 20% to your $800 bid, and that is $960, which leaves $40 for shipping.
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 05-21-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Perfect. Then you bid up to the amount where you will $1000 with whatever fee(s) included. Problem solved. I think you are making it more difficult than it needs to be. A lot of us say to ourselves "I am not going over xx amount" then we deduct the fee pecentage and that, and that is what we bid (assuming we are also understanding there are usually shipping charges to be thrown in too). If you can spend a $1000 then just bid up to $800......add the Buyers Premium, which is usually 20% to your $800 bid, and that is $960, which leaves $40 for shipping.
I think you guys are in agreement, not disagreement?
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-21-2018, 03:51 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think you guys are in agreement, not disagreement?
Yeah, I think I am arguing with myself. Back to doing some chores ....
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-21-2018, 04:30 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
if i am correctly following the logic of at least one person, he would rather buy a card on the BST or eBay for $1,000 -- with no evil buyer's premium to deal with -- than get the same card for an $800 bid from an auction house, because it means the total price actually would be $960 with the BP?
How do you even make such a connection? Who am I dealing with here? Forrest Gump?
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-21-2018, 04:38 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
You raise up your head and you ask, "Is this where it is?"
And somebody points to you and says, "It's his"
And you say, "What's mine?" and somebody else says, "Well, what is?"
And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
But something is happening and you don't know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?
If the value of your humor had a 20% BP, I'd have nothing to complain about.
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
If the value of your humor had a 20% BP, I'd have nothing to complain about.
Imagine the obvious response -- change humor to -----.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-21-2018, 04:53 PM
RedsFan1941 RedsFan1941 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
How do you even make such a connection? Who am I dealing with here? Forrest Gump?
apparently. after CMIZ5290, you’re the smartest guy in the room.
__________________
R0nnie L3hman

Last edited by RedsFan1941; 05-21-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 798
Default

And there it is. "A lot" Not all...as some assume. At least Leon is being realistic.

A lot probably do...especially those on this forum. And just as true...a lot probably don't. They bid to win and then endure the BP afterwards.

I think some of you have conformed your logic to fit in with the old school auction rules. "This is the way it is, so how can I rationalize it in a way that makes it more palatable?".

Funny...I looked up the definition of bid. It's the offer of a certain price for something. Didn't see anything in there about multiplying by 1.2 to get to that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Perfect. Then you bid up to the amount where you will spend $1000 with whatever fee(s) included. Problem solved. I think you are making it more difficult than it needs to be. A lot of us say to ourselves "I am not going over xx amount" then we deduct the fee pecentage and that is what we bid (assuming we are also understanding there are usually shipping charges to be thrown in too). If you can spend a $1000 then just bid up to $800......then add the Buyers Premium, which is usually 20% to your $800 bid, and that is $960, which leaves $40 for shipping.
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-21-2018, 05:16 PM
TanksAndSpartans's Avatar
TanksAndSpartans TanksAndSpartans is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 755
Default

This is actually an interesting academic question. Economics 101 would certainly tell you its completely irrational to behave differently because in one case the amount you pay is what you bid (plus shipping) and in the other case the amount you pay is what you bid + 20% + shipping. The rational thing to do is make the calculation of adding the BP and behave (bid) the same way in both cases (i.e. reduce your bid because you know you will be hit with a BP at checkout). Someone would need to do a study to see if people actually behave according to the theory or whether the fact that that 20% in not included in their bid induces them to pay more as if they are willing to momentarily forget they will be charged the 20% later. It's entirely possible, and also the reason I believe some auction houses want you to have to do the math in your head (or not do it), rather than show you the BP when you place your bid. I think its something called the framing effect where people view options that are really the same as different depending on how they are stated.

One minor point is because the bid increments are wider for AHs than eBay, sometimes I have to make a decision whether I want to go under or over my target - something I never really have to do on eBay where the bid increments are very narrow.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 05-21-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-21-2018, 05:37 PM
frankbmd's Avatar
frankbmd frankbmd is offline
Fr@nk Burke++
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Between the 1st tee and the 19th hole
Posts: 5,686
Default

Letís say you have a new home with a smallish garage and a full size car.
You are bidding to park the car in the garage. You estimate where the center of the garage is on the back wall of the garage. You aim correctly and end up scratching the right side of the vehicle, which then must be repaired. You are surprised at the cost of placing your bid to park the car and incurring the parkerís Premium.

When completed, you pick up the car and bring it home. It needs to be parked in the garage. Do you follow the exact same process to park the car and repeat getting the same result necessitating another visit to the body shop or do you make an adjustment to your aiming point and move it the required distance to the left, which results in the car not being scratched on the right side.

On the third day do you repeat the unsuccessful process of the first day or the successful process of the second day? If you answer the former, I cannot help you. If you answer the latter, congratulations. You have learned the impact of the buyerís premium on your bid to park the car.

Being surprised by an auction house invoice, due to naÔvetť, not reading the rules, or whatever, could conceivably happen once to anyone. But if you are continually ďsurprisedĒ by invoices, you either need a smaller car, better reading glasses, or a home without a garage. You might also consider a membership in the Audubon Society as an alternative hobby.

Hope this helps.
__________________
FRANK:BUR:KETT - NEARLY PQ AND ALMOST OLD ENOUGH TO BE ON A PREWAR CARD, BUT.........

MY AVATAR IS A GUY NAMED BURKETT TO WHOM I AM NOT RELATED, WHO IS OLD ENOUGH.


518/1000 Monster Number

Over*760* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-19.
Over 550 sales with satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.



Now nearly PQ.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-21-2018, 06:24 PM
Rhotchkiss's Avatar
Rhotchkiss Rhotchkiss is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,329
Default

Auction houses charge a buyers premium, eBay does not. If you want to bid on anything, auction or eBay, read the damn rules and know what your getting/how it works (and that includes shipping). What is up with people bitching about rules that are clearly stated for all the world to read?? You donít like the rules, donít like the shipping, donít like when or how an auction ends.... donít participate!

And for the record, if you bid on an auction and donít read the rules to know you are paying a buyers premium, then F-you, you are an idiot and you deserve whatever unhappiness your stupidity or irresponsibility got you.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-21-2018, 06:29 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Auction houses charge a buyers premium, eBay does not. If you want to bid on anything, auction or eBay, read the damn rules and know what your getting/how it works (and that includes shipping). What is up with people bitching about rules that are clearly stated for all the world to read?? You donít like the rules, donít like the shipping, donít like when or how an auction ends.... donít participate!

And for the record, if you bid on an auction and donít read the rules to know you are paying a buyers premium, then F-you, you are an idiot and you deserve whatever unhappiness your stupidity or irresponsibility got you.
LOL I was just reading that the buyer's premium dates back to ancient Rome. Maybe Rob had an ancestor who bitched about it back then.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-21-2018, 06:45 PM
Rhotchkiss's Avatar
Rhotchkiss Rhotchkiss is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
LOL I was just reading that the buyer's premium dates back to ancient Rome.
I saw that too, expect back then it was XX percent

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 05-21-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-21-2018, 06:54 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I saw that too, expect back then it was XX percent
Yeah emptors have been getting whacked throughout history.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-21-2018, 08:35 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Letís say you have a new home with a smallish garage and a full size car.
You are bidding to park the car in the garage. You estimate where the center of the garage is on the back wall of the garage. You aim correctly and end up scratching the right side of the vehicle, which then must be repaired. You are surprised at the cost of placing your bid to park the car and incurring the parkerís Premium.

When completed, you pick up the car and bring it home. It needs to be parked in the garage. Do you follow the exact same process to park the car and repeat getting the same result necessitating another visit to the body shop or do you make an adjustment to your aiming point and move it the required distance to the left, which results in the car not being scratched on the right side.

On the third day do you repeat the unsuccessful process of the first day or the successful process of the second day? If you answer the former, I cannot help you. If you answer the latter, congratulations. You have learned the impact of the buyerís premium on your bid to park the car.

Being surprised by an auction house invoice, due to naÔvetť, not reading the rules, or whatever, could conceivably happen once to anyone. But if you are continually ďsurprisedĒ by invoices, you either need a smaller car, better reading glasses, or a home without a garage. You might also consider a membership in the Audubon Society as an alternative hobby.

Hope this helps.
Cool story...but who said anything about being surprised?
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-21-2018, 08:44 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Auction houses charge a buyers premium, eBay does not. If you want to bid on anything, auction or eBay, read the damn rules and know what your getting/how it works (and that includes shipping). What is up with people bitching about rules that are clearly stated for all the world to read?? You donít like the rules, donít like the shipping, donít like when or how an auction ends.... donít participate!

And for the record, if you bid on an auction and donít read the rules to know you are paying a buyers premium, then F-you, you are an idiot and you deserve whatever unhappiness your stupidity or irresponsibility got you.
Well that settles it. Never question anything that's clearly stated. If it's clearly stated it must be right. The government clearly states what they're taking out of your paycheck and I'm sure you never bitched about it.

By the way...The crotchety-meter is off the charts on this post. Love the ones who come in hot with instant anger.
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-21-2018, 08:45 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
LOL I was just reading that the buyer's premium dates back to ancient Rome. Maybe Rob had an ancestor who bitched about it back then.
And I think the one's on here defending it date back to ancient Rome too.
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-21-2018, 09:51 PM
ruth_rookie's Avatar
ruth_rookie ruth_rookie is offline
Jason ďthe bambinoĒ Babin
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
PWCC charges 8% commission for any card over $5k.
This thread has me laughing my butt off. On a serious note, if PWCC is only charging 8%, how are they making money? Doesnít eBay charge them about 10% after their sale? What am I missing here?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-21-2018, 10:21 PM
mechanicalman's Avatar
mechanicalman mechanicalman is offline
Sam Sw@rtz
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
This thread has me laughing my butt off. On a serious note, if PWCC is only charging 8%, how are they making money? Doesnít eBay charge them about 10% after their sale? What am I missing here?
I'm sure because they sell in large quantities, they've negotiated a deal with eBay to pay a much smaller fee.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-21-2018, 10:26 PM
ruth_rookie's Avatar
ruth_rookie ruth_rookie is offline
Jason ďthe bambinoĒ Babin
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I'm sure because they sell in large quantities, they've negotiated a deal with eBay to pay a much smaller fee.
Once again, the small guy gets screwed. Oh well, life goes on.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-22-2018, 07:03 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
Once again, the small guy gets screwed. Oh well, life goes on.
The small guy is fine and makes money on ebay. The big guy gets some benefits. No doubt PWCC gets a great ebay rate and they should. It's called business.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PSA blues theshleps Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 18 02-17-2017 04:29 PM
sniping blues darwinbulldog Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 19 07-15-2016 07:17 AM
authentication blues theshleps Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 13 02-13-2015 01:10 PM
Cry me the Blues- T205? Leon Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 18 12-16-2012 06:34 PM
I got the Grading Blues... Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 9 11-19-2006 10:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.


ebay GSB