NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2019, 08:16 AM
Scott S

Default O/T Hanging in the dugout for Red Sox BP

My 6-year old son Xander had the unique opportunity to hang out in the Red Sox dugout a couple of days ago, during the team's batting practice. It was a cold 45 degree day, with some showers in the area. My fears were that BP would be cancelled, and I'd have a disappointed 6-year old with me.

We weren't sure exactly what to expect - maybe a few players would stop and sign a quick autograph while scrambling back to the clubhouse. But as we took our position, we were amazed how the afternoon went.

It was basically us, plus a couple of Red Sox staffers. First player to come by was Matt Barnes, a relief pitcher. He stopped and was signing my son's ball. But as he was signing, Mookie Betts came walking by. I asked Mookie if he would sign it as well; he stopped and chatted with my son while waiting for Barnes to finish signing the ball. Mookie signed and posed for a picture.

Over the next hour, we couldn't have asked for more - Xander (my son's favorite because of the name), Pedroia, JD Martinez, etc. - all were super kind to my diehard 6-year old. (JD Martinez even pretended to ignore us, walked right by us quickly, then turned back and said, "Just kidding, guys, how are you!?" and talked to us for a few minutes.) Many stopped and talked with him, asked him if he plays baseball, etc. None of this was about money or greed or any of the other negative things said about players today - this was about them just taking a minute or two from their day, to give a kid the thrill of his young life.

Never has a 45 degree rainy day at the ballpark been so awesome as this one! Needed to share the story and some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2191 sm.jpg (78.9 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_E2210.jpg (72.1 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_E2239.jpg (78.4 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2237 sm.jpg (78.5 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2217 sm.jpg (79.4 KB, 284 views)
Old 05-16-2019, 08:32 AM
Jeff

What an awesome experience!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-16-2019, 08:58 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

The 6 years old IN me couldnt be happier.

Thanks for sharing

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-16-2019, 09:02 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
The 6 years old IN me couldnt be happier.

Thanks for sharing
Ted, I was pretty giddy myself as a 45 year old! The only player I think I met as a 6 year old was Bob Stanley at a Burlington Mall appearance - I can just imagine what was going through his head!
Old 05-16-2019, 09:54 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

That is so cool...a great experience and memory for both of you!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Garth Guibord

Thanks for sharing, that is one incredible experience!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2019, 01:11 PM
Doug

Thanks for sharing. So nice to hear about the good things that professional athletes do. I'm sure that experience will stay with your son his entire life.

Last edited by Dboneesq; 05-16-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:28 PM
Tony

Growing up in NY and now living in Maryland, as a baseball fan I have absolutely hated the Red Sox my entire life...your story and pictures have eased that hatred a little bit today. Thanks for sharing. What an experience for you and especially Xander.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:59 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Great Scott! Thanks for sharing.

Your experience is a good example of how aware today's players are (most of them, anyway) of how important it is for them to connect with younger generations.

=

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 05-16-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:41 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

If I had only had an iPhone to have myself photographed getting Casey Stengel's autograph when I was 9.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:42 PM
Scott S

Thanks to everyone for chiming in - I'm happy to be able to share this story and hopefully spread a positive experience to you all!

One other photo I want to share, which really to me captures the importance of baseball, possibly even more than the ones above. And it wasn't even with a Red Sox player.

As the Sox BP was ending, my son wanted to watch the Rockies take some BP. So he went to the edge of the area where he was allowed to watch, and just started watching a bunch of players hit. He had no idea who the Rockies players were, but he just loved watching these giant players hit the ball so far.

Rockies' 1B Daniel Murphy was fielding grounders and saw this, and walked over to talk to Xander. Xander was decked in Sox gear, so he obviously wasn't there to cheer for Colorado, but Murphy wanted to talk to this kid who (literally and figuratively) was looking up to him.

Murphy came over, gave Xander a baseball, and had a conversation about baseball with him. Xander is normally a quiet kid and shy around people he doesn't know, but something about this damn game of baseball turned him into a chatterbox around these players.

I have a posed picture of Xander with Murphy, but prefer this one much better, from a distance - little kid looking up in awe at a real live baseball player, who is spending some time with him.

I think I'm sounding like Terrance Mann here, but it's just something about this damn game of baseball that does it for me. Daniel Murphy of the Rockies - you have two new fans, sir.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dmurphy.jpg (77.2 KB, 257 views)