NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-30-2022, 11:59 AM

Default Yankee photo packs

I have several years of New York Yankees team photo packs for the individual players. It's difficult to know what the years are because some of the pictures of the players were used more than one season. Any suggestions on where I can find out what years I have? I have a general idea, but it would be good to know the correct years for sure. There are also two variations of each year. Team issued photos and Jay photos.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:06 PM

Default Nyy

search for KeyMan Collectibles online. Index of Yankee picture packs by year.
Also search SCD (sportscarddigest for article on Mickey Mantle picture pack photos by year

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 02-01-2022, 08:02 AM
Michael

Denny, the KeyMan checklist is a good start, but it is far from perfect. For instance, the set listed for 1953 is missing Ed Lopat and, surprisingly, Mickey Mantle. The 1953 set is an "Action Photos" set, consists of 12 photos, and is 8"-by-10". There are also "Action Photos" sets for 1955, 1956, 1957, and 1960. I suspect there are sets for 1954, 1958, and 1959, although I haven't seen them. I've attached a photo of the envelope for 1955. The Yankees also issued team sets that are 6"-by-8 1/2". I have sets that are from 1956, 1958, 1959, 1960, and 1961 or 1962. I suspect there is probably one for 1957 as well. There are 23 photos in the 1956 set, 16 photos in the 1958 and 1959 sets, and 14 photos in the 1960 and 1961/2 sets. I've attached photos for the 1956, 1959, and 1961/2 envelopes.

Another place I prefer for photo set checklists is the following:

https://www.tcdb.com/ViewAll.cfm/sp/Baseball/year/1961

You can find checklists for the '61 photo sets at the link and can rummage around for the other years as well. The TCDB lists the sets that you're referring to as "Team Issue" as being team issued by "Sports Service." A nice thing is that photos are included for some of the sets.

One issue with the Jay Publishing and Sports Service sets is that they may include different players in the 12 card set during a given year. The TCDB will list these as set A, set B, and sometimes set C for a given year.

In 1966, the Yankees had a color set of 8-by-10 photos that they gave away as a promotion at a game and also probably sold at the stadium. In addition, they had a similar set in 1965. The only difference in the sets is the 1965 set had Johnny Keane and the 1966 set had Ralph Houk. It seems not too many people are aware of the 1965 set, but TCDB lists them both under the appropriate years.

Even though I prefer the TCDB checklists, they are not perfect either. For instance, they do not list the "Action Photos" sets or the 6"-by-8 1/2" team issued picture packs.

Lastly, I don't think we'll ever see a definitive checklist for Yankee photo sets, but I think the TCDB and KeyMan lists make a great starting point.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:09 AM
Scott Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post

Another place I prefer for photo set checklists is the following:

https://www.tcdb.com/ViewAll.cfm/sp/Baseball/year/1961
Thanks for this link....I knew this existed but never delved too far. I have the same issue with the Red Sox and for Ted Williams. I am never 100% sure which year I have. I have used the Standard Catalog as a reference too.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:51 AM
John

Default Photo Packs

IMG_0296.jpgI have some photos that could be photo packs, but because they have the names on them, I am told they are not from photo packs but are magazine issue photos from 1950-1960. Can you show me some of your photos? PS, I could use all the help I can get with photo packs. The info provided is of much help. Thanks, John

thumbnail_IMG_0512.jpg

Last edited by Johnphotoman; 02-04-2022 at 10:56 AM. Reason: add to
Old 02-04-2022, 12:17 PM
Mike

Most of the Jay Team checklists I have reviewed are not 100% correct, so be careful. Sometimes the year is wrong or checklist is wrong etc To help with some of the sorting. Jay Publishing has the city name, for example: ( "Detroit Tigers", Stadium issues only ("Tigers"). After this sort, then there are 2 types of Jay Publishing cards Type 1 ( 1958-61) has (Sans-Serif) font and 1962-65 Type 2 has "Serif" font. Google these fonts to see the difference. This at least narrows the years a little bit, not a total solution. HOpe this helps someone a little.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:25 PM
Michael

John, I've uploaded a picture of the 1956 Yankees Action Photo set. These are all 8 by 10 inches. As you can see, they have names printed on them with some appearing to be facsimile autos. So yours could potentially be from "Action Photo" sets for the Cardinals and Dodgers. I only collect Yankee photo sets so I don't know what is out there for other teams.

I've also attached a photo with the 1956 and 1958 team photo set Mantles attached. These are 6 by 8-1/2 inches. As you can see, these differ from the Jay photos quite a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yankees 1956 Team Action Photo Set.jpg (83.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle 1956 1958 photo packs shrunk.jpg (79.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-04-2022, 12:49 PM
Michael

As was mentioned previously, Jay's used the same photo for multiple years. I've attached an example using Mantle. Starting from in the upper left corner, these photos are from the following sets (at least as far as I can tell):

Jay's 1957 Yankee Picture Portfolio with 25
Jay's 1958 Yankee Picture Pack with 12
Jay's 1958 Yankee World Series Picture Pack with 12
Jay's 1958 Yankee World Series Picture Pack with Braves with 24
Jay's 1959 All-Stars
Jay's 1959 Yankee Picture Pack with 12
Jay's 1960 All-Stars
Jay's 1960 Yankee Picture Pack with 12
Jay's unkown year Yankee Picture Pack with 12

There are at least 4 different croppings of the photo. So if you have a single photo it would be nearly impossible to tell what set it came from. And as shown with the last photo, even if you have the complete set, you can never be sure if it is an original set. The bottom right photo appears to be similar to the photos used in the 1958 World Series sets. However, it came with a complete Yankees set which I haven't been able to put a date on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jay's Mantles 1957 - 1960 shrunk.jpg (76.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-04-2022, 12:54 PM

Default Yankees - Dodgers World Series

Here is a scarce NYY picture pack issue that was paired with Dodgers for the 1956 World Series. It consists of 2 separate photo packs, one for each team, glued together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 PicturePacks.jpg (73.5 KB, 62 views)

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 02-04-2022, 02:10 PM
John I.

If y'all have checklists, I could add the missing sets to TCDB.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:17 PM
John I.

Quote:
John, I've uploaded a picture of the 1956 Yankees Action Photo set. These are all 8 by 10 inches. As you can see, they have names printed on them with some appearing to be facsimile autos. So yours could potentially be from "Action Photo" sets for the Cardinals and Dodgers. I only collect Yankee photo sets so I don't know what is out there for other teams.

I've also attached a photo with the 1956 and 1958 team photo set Mantles attached. These are 6 by 8-1/2 inches. As you can see, these differ from the Jay photos quite a bit.
Who's the guy on the top, third from right? The only name I can't read.
Old 02-04-2022, 03:04 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1941 View Post
Who's the guy on the top, third from right? The only name I can't read.
That would be Joe Collins. Here are the checklists of the sets that I have. The first lists are the "Action Photos" sets. The last column is the 1961 Manny's Yankees set, which you can ignore since the website already has it. I don't have the 1957 set and it isn't in my lists, but I have seen it on eBay and I think someone on Net54 had it. It has the same roster as the 1956 set except Joe Collins and Billy Martin are out and Tony Kubek and Casey Stengel are in.

The second set of listings are for the 6 by 8-1/2 team "Photographs" sets. I noticed that "Kucks" was mis-spelled in the 1959 set. It's spelled "Kuchs." Also, while looking at the 1956 set to see how it is spelled (correctly, by the way), I noticed the 1956 set is a little larger. They are 6-1/8 by 8-7/8 inches.

Lastly, there's another Yankees set, I think produced by Jay's (it has a similar envelope - see attached). As far as I can tell, I think this set was issued in 1956. I have never seen a complete set. I have bought 3 partial sets. In the 3 partial sets I have, there are 22 different players. No Mantle or Ford and they have to be in the set. And of the 22 players that have been in the partial sets, there are no "Past" players (except the coaches). Has anyone seen a complete set of these and know who is in the set?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yankees 8by10 Photo Sets.jpg (62.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Yankees 6by9 Photo Sets.jpg (74.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Yankees Picture Pack Past and Present envelope.jpg (77.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 02-04-2022, 03:17 PM
John

Quote:

Hi, this is some good stuff here, AustinMike, I have some of the exact same photos. I have come to the conclusion that some of what I have are definitely team photo packs. Many are posed action photos, while some could be in-game used. While others show other players.

The Larry Doby photo is like a salutations photo. On his photo it says Best Wishes, with his signature, it is made out to look like it was handwritten on the photo. And Luke Appling, says "Chicago Champion Batsman of the American League"...And it also says, "Note how bat is choked"

When I get this figured out, I will try and post some of the different types. Thanks John.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:23 AM
John

Thanks to all, I did not want to go down this road. But since this is a discussion and information forum, Can you please educate me on the type of photos. Why, is 1958-61, Sans-Serif photos Type 1, while 1962-65 are type 2. I am hesitant to ask, because of my other post One more question...Are there any other years' that come in photo packs, like the 1940s? Thanks, John.

PS, I was on one of the websites reading about photo packs, they did not mention 8x10 photos. Quote: "During the 1940's, early 1950's, many teams for a time released an annual issue of twenty-five 6-1/2" x 9"" black and white photographs that picture pack photos were sold at the souvenir stands."

And-During an eight-year period starting in 1958 through 1965 Jay Publishing issued a series of 5 x 7 black & white player portrait or posed action photos, for a number of major League teams. Sold in team sets of 12 they were made available through ballpark concession stands and the mail.

Last edited by Johnphotoman; 02-05-2022 at 07:39 AM. Reason: add to
Old 02-05-2022, 09:18 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnphotoman View Post
Thanks to all, I did not want to go down this road. But since this is a discussion and information forum, Can you please educate me on the type of photos. Why, is 1958-61, Sans-Serif photos Type 1, while 1962-65 are type 2. I am hesitant to ask, because of my other post
I've attached a photo that shows the difference between the Jay's photo fonts. The top script is the 1957 to 1961 font. The bottom is the 1962 to 1965 font. Jay's Fonts.jpg

Yes, Jay's photos were made in 1957 as well. They were also made in 1956, as mentioned in BuzzD's post. A regular team set and a World Series set were made that year. The next photo shows the font from those sets.
Jay's Fonts 1956.jpg

Quote:
One more question...Are there any other years' that come in photo packs, like the 1940s? Thanks, John.
Quote:
PS, I was on one of the websites reading about photo packs, they did not mention 8x10 photos. Quote: "During the 1940's, early 1950's, many teams for a time released an annual issue of twenty-five 6-1/2" x 9"" black and white photographs that picture pack photos were sold at the souvenir stands."
I know the Yankees had photo packs from 1947 to 1950. They are readily available on eBay.

Quote:
And-During an eight-year period starting in 1958 through 1965 Jay Publishing issued a series of 5 x 7 black & white player portrait or posed action photos, for a number of major League teams. Sold in team sets of 12 they were made available through ballpark concession stands and the mail.
I think Jay's photos had Yankee sets from 1956 to 1965.

At some point, Jay's photos were sold in stores. I've attached a picture of one envelope and I have another more common form of store packaging, but can't put my hands on it now (but it is seen on eBay frequently for various teams). The shown envelope is unopened so I'm not sure what year is inside (hopefully there are pictures and not blank paper )

Mantle 1960 Jay's Photo set envelope.jpg

Lastly, as another curve, in 1962, there is a Jay's variation set. The following photo shows the Mantle. The font in this set is different from the others. In addition, the photo is cropped differently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 1962 Jay Regular Set - Variation.jpg (76.8 KB, 37 views)