NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Default What one may not know when posting...

Posted By: Dan Koteles

is that when you bring one of these smaller auction houses to light on this board...one of us collectors maybe bidding on something we want really bad and boom , there goes the price of the item.

This just happened to me as the TipTop 1910 got posted up here and prior to that they kept in the high 2 grand range and as soon as it posted here, whip , bam, hit , slam ...(all the good old batman noises )may have made them jump.

Of course , Iam not totally mindless to believe that they would have stayed in that range, but ...I analyzed the dickens out of this group and figured that even rampant, Id get em 5k best, didn't happen.

I figured a Top all bid at 6800.00 would take care of them and I was right, but sure would have liked them at what I deemed they would realize!

I know that Iam not the only one in the world that wants TipTops, but at somepoint you have to protect the collector, isn't he who keeps this ball a rollin?

Some may call this whinning, but a good point to ponder is that one of your cohorts maybe pursuing that actual item you have just opened all the doors to. Once the goodies are out of the collectors hands, you'll continue to pay more.

Keep some of these issues within your pals. Good luck to all in Mastros.

I still got my Tip Tops !

Old 11-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

It's the consignor "advertising". Don't know about this instance though.

Old 11-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

when you bring one of these smaller auction houses to light on this board...

Another indirect plug for the VBC Forum's Vintage Links page, which includes auction sites large and small.

Congrats on getting those Tip Tops, Dan.

Bill

Old 11-19-2004, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I noticed the same phenomenon yesterday - as soon as someone posted on here about the Virgin Mary grilled cheese sandwich, the price shot up like Darryl Strawberry - thanks a lot people, now I'll have to sell a kidney to afford it.

Old 11-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Administrator

you know what ? I love for all to get a chance to see what's out there, to oogle, dream and wish for certain items, just not any of my desired stuff !

With the countless people of unlimited funds, a fellow like myself has to win something granduer, once in awhile ? ...eh ?

Scott- I contemplated your thought and Bill, thank you, but we still need to talk about the few that you plan on still trading me, right ?

Old 11-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Sure... now that I know what Tip Tops go for .

Old 11-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

I posted it in case any of you wanted to bid. I thought this board was about sharing information. The responses I saw to this post were that at 2 people didn't even trust the auction.

It's unlikely that there is only one person following this board that would want to bid on that item that knows about that auction house, or that people who don't read this board will not bid on that item.

We've all won and lost items at auction for different reasons. If you paid more than you wanted to that is your issue. I guess it's friends are friends, collections are collections.

One other note is that should all posts about auctions then be second guessed? Does everyone who follows or posts on this board know that Mastro auctions are more frequent, the dates when Lew Lipset runs auctions, that everyone has heard about Albersheims? On that last one, I read about it in a post here, had never heard of them, and won two lots last night. I'm sure the person I was bidding against must be ticked off.

Congrats on winning the Tip Tops Dan.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Administrator

depends on what you are seeking. If you are wanting a Strawberry RC w/ fumunda cheese or a Ansel Adams photo of Strawberry snorting something , they are plentiful.

TipTops on the other hand, not so available.

It was not stated that I was mad and I only buy what I can afford .Wont be the first time that I'll overpay for a desired item.

Everyones intentions here are usually swell , so just let me know what your bidding on sometime so that I can get in on it.

Glad no one posted about the Mike Sweeney jersey that I won as well- geez, maybe it would have went for more than 250.00 !

Still having fun and thanks for chatting !

Old 11-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

.....healthy groups of D322s have been in just about every major auction in the past year.
...heck even good ole BOTN had a nice group (after outbidding me in Mastros) that used to be JC's.

I opened that Vintage Authentics lot (after laughing at the write-up)and was not going to let them go for anything less than 4500.

I hope you enjoy them, I sure do.

I hope all the rediculous hype written in the lot description didn't cost you too much.

"so rare as to not be in any price guides"....yeah, that's the ticket

Now how about that high grade Wagner in Mastros

any guesstimates ?

edited to add: LMK if you have any D322 dupes to trade once the dust settles. I nbelieve I have one or two extras in lower grade.

Old 11-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

to a card I knew someone was bidding on, or, on ebay, the dealer, unless i was asking a question about my own bidding.

But how small can an auction HOUSE be that mentioning it would cause a rush to a particulkar card? You don't mean Sloate or Smollin, do you? I mean, we always announce when they open, in caase nobody noticed (which everyone has).