NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Default Auction Houses-Going, Going..Gone?

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I suppose it depends on how much shill bidding goes on.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

Would one of the lawyers (or someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn) please check over Mastro's terms and clarify what happens if a bidder should win a lot, send in his money and then Mastro goes under? Is there risk of the card being seized or would it definitely be delivered to the winning bidder?

That's a good question Matt. If you were to pay for a service, and the company goes under, you are out the money. But if you pay for an item, then you have Title to that item.....except that so does the Consigner if he hasn't been paid. But I bet the Consigner has better legal recourse since he is the Owner UNTIL he gets paid (definition of to consign).

So Barry, I'm not so sure it's a bargain. I wouldn't bid unless I could work out a in-person switch of payment and item. Even then, if the company goes under, and the cash doesn't get to the Consigner, you will have to return the item. There was an article recently about folks buying used cars from Dealers who never paid off the loan from the trade-in. The courts took the car from the buyer and they were out the money since the Dealer had gone bankrupt - the lienholder (similar to consigner in this case) had all the rights.

I think I just answered Matt's question. The buyer would be out the cash AND even if he was to receive the goods, he would have to return it and file a non-secured claim.

So it may be safe to consign to an Auction House, but not to buy. But who would consign to a Auction House with no buyers? Mastronet is Dead unless they can post collateral to a 3rd party.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marshall barkman

Believe me if they can possibly find a way to schill items they will continue to fire away.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I can assure you if there are potential bargains still out there on the last night, people will be bidding. It's kind of a risk/reward scenario: I might lose my money, but I could also get a really good deal.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Sounds like I will be getting some great deals...

Old 02-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rand

here is my thought.

mastro is owned by a private equity company. this company may have taken some huge hits with the stock market and banking situation. Mastro is a cash cow and they could be draining the accounts and telling mastro officers to figure it out. it may be or become a ponzi scheme. so it may be out of doug's hands somewhat. i am sure the officers of the company are paid very well, the building they reside in is not cheap, and perhaps Mastro's credit line was greatly reduced. so, maybe this has some truth to it????

Old 02-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Whoever said buy it and pick it up is onto something. If you have doubts and you know somweone who lives nead Chicago, Los Angeles or Denver the ask them to pick it up and send it to you.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Wouldn't you think if someone from Mastro is reading this thread, they would come on the board and assure everybody they can bid with confidence?

Old 02-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

If I were a consignor to Mastro's current auction and saw this thread, I'd be strongly suggesting to them that they step up and publicly offer some assurances.

On a related note, I was wondering today what the over/under will be on the number of lots withdrawn.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator

I would have at least expected to be firmly chastised by Doug on the board by now. That always did wonders to shake my strongly-held beliefs about Mastro. Ok, maybe not.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Will they still have their annual summer auction on that Friday night during the National ?

Old 02-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Alan, that might be a little like asking, as water continues to flood the Titanic, whether there still will be a captain's dinner on the last night of the cruise.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Administrator

I am still waiting for the earth shattering hobby bomb the dorskind group is about to drop.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamie

I'm going after the Latrell Sprewell game-worn jersey, so everyone please lay off that one;) Remember, he's got a family to feed...

I'm not sure Mastro would take this thread very seriously. It is just out of control speculation, and I seriously doubt that anything will go wrong. It almost borders on slander since it's not really based on fact or truth, just rampant speculation.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Damnit, now I'm going to get sued. Sheesh.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator

I'll probably be banned. Wheww it's killing me.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

"Damnit, now I'm going to get sued. Sheesh."

Jeff,

Don't you worry about a thing. There are lots of lawyers on this board to protect you. Also, I went to the same high school as Judge Jeanine. Didn't know her as she's a few years older, but I bet I could get her to help you out. Maybe you'd get on her show!

happy.gif

Old 02-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Siegel

I have been hearing some buzz about a Chicago area auction house laying off staff this week. Has anyone else heard this in the past couple of days. I have heard that 15-17 people were involved. Why can't Coaches Corner be the one to go out?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Bid? Not bid? Consign? Not consign?

I like the folks at Mastro and don't want to see anything bad happen but the stuff I've read is not filling me with that warm confident feeling.

If they're late with their checks, that's the end of it for me as a consignor. They've always f****d with their consignors by delaying payment to the end of their 45 day period but to be late on payments as I've heard is the case lately, I would consider a further consignment to them to be a "cheat me once shame on you, cheat me twice, shame on me" situation.

As far as those who have stuff there or have items won and paid but not yet received (as will be the case in a few weeks), I'd file a UCC-1 in Illinois to perfect a security interest in the items. That way if they file for bankruptcy at least you should recover the items expeditiously.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

You always make me so giddy with that legal talk...ooohhhh baby....

Old 02-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Siegel

Thr rumor is that they let 15-17 people go yesterday

Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

It's free advice and worth the price...After all, people are entitled to their opinions but they're also entitled to my opinions.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc