NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Drew

Default T206 Trends

I have caught the bug!

Since starting my various subsets throughout the T206 (have not attempted the monster yet), I have come up with a few questions. I know many of you on the board have been collecting for years so I figured this would be a good place to ask. I know backs and grade play a big factor but for the purpose of this thread I just want to ask about cards in general.

I know that overall T206's have grown in value over the years which makes sense but these are my questions:
- Have certain HOF's grown more than others or even commons?
- What cards or players have you noticed that have leveled off in prices and aren't growing as fast as others?
- Are there any cards that have had a big craze and then began declining in price?

I'm sure I will eventually come up with more questions but for now this is all I have. Let me know your thoughts and thank you for your input!
Drew
Old 09-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Are you already familiar with the brief outbreak of Titusitis?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:53 AM
Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Are you already familiar with the brief outbreak of Titusitis?
No I have not heard of that
Old 09-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

The only player in the set depicted with a mustache is John Titus. Because of this (apparently) there was a run up on the price of his card for a while just a few years ago. At its peak he was selling for significantly more than most of the Hall of Famers in the set. Still sells for a bit of a premium but nothing like it was.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Sean Costello

The Cobb Green has been hot for the last couple years. I keep thinking that it will level off, but it hasn't yet.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Banned

i would caution to avoid getting caught up in the hype of "scrap," errors, miscuts, etc. though these types of cards certainly are neat to look at, their values often are exaggerated (no surprise, usually by sellers), and the market for them is consistently thin. in addition, it is not uncommon to see cards being being represented as something they are not.

if you like these types of cards and want to collect them, that's awesome. i just wouldn't bank on them holding their value and allowing you to recoup your money down the road.

obviously just my opinion.

Last edited by RedsFan1941; 09-20-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:55 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
i would caution to avoid getting caught up in the hype of "scrap," errors, miscuts, etc. though these types of cards certainly are neat to look at, their values often are exaggerated (no surprise, usually by sellers), and the market for them is consistently thin. in addition, it is not uncommon to see cards being being represented as something they are not.

if you like these types of cards and want to collect them, that's awesome. i just wouldn't bank on them holding their value and allowing you to recoup your money down the road.

obviously just my opinion.
I agree on the scrap, miscuts, print errors, and ect. being crazily over hyped by the sellers. This is not near as bad as it was a year or two ago when the hype was at an insane level. I am not putting down those types of cards as they are by far my favorite.

The big thing in T206's is the same it is with all cards. Stay far far away from what ever is hot and being hyped at the moment because the fad will go away. When it does you will be stuck with a bunch of cards you can not sell of anywhere near what you got scammed into paying for them. All hot cards are hot because of marketing.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:53 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Centering and clarity of image is king. Those cards will always maintain their value, especially if they are HOFers.

His cards have always been hot, but I've noticed Hal Chase portraits have gone up the last few years.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:56 PM
pete ullman

super rare backs and cobbs...the better the condition of any... are the only ways to "invest" in t206 these days.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:06 PM

^^^

Cobbs & Rare Backs
Old 09-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Banned

i think most everyone agrees that cobb is king in the t206 set. i also think the consensus is his portraits are always the most popular, with the bat-on and bat-off versions a distant second. you certainly don't need a high-grade cobb, because with demand so high, nicely centered examples in 3 and 4 holders will always be coveted by collectors.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Drew

What are thoughts on Lajoie or some lesser known HOF's?
Old 09-20-2017, 02:45 PM

You are better off with Wajo, Matty and Cy Young if you can't afford Cobb. I think the gap between tiers of Hofers, stars and commons will just continue to increase.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:19 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Generally speaking, I would put them in this order.

Cobb > WaJo > Matty > Young > Speaker/Lajoie > remaining HOF'ers.

Portraits sell for more than action poses.

Eddie Collins seems to be undervalued to me.

centered copies sell for a premium.

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:23 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
You are better off with Wajo, Matty and Cy Young if you can't afford Cobb. I think the gap between tiers of Hofers, stars and commons will just continue to increase.
I think this makes a lot of sense. I've been collecting T206 HoFers for a few years and the % increases on Cobb (especially portraits) has not been seen at the same rate with Matty, Cy, and WaJo, especially on their non portrait versions. I especially think Matty is perhaps a bit undervalued. Speaker, Lajoie, and E.Collins seem like decent values as well, relatively speaking.

Also, if it hasn't been said already, the "centering premium" has become more important than ever. You won't find any "deals" on centered HoFers, but your downside risk will likely be limited.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:07 PM

I've noticed the price of Any T206 Cobb, and the T206 Wajo portrait has gone up the last few years.

It hasn't been discussed, but I think I saw somewhere... since the pre boom era (before 1989), T206's have went up considerably, as compared to post war cards... Mind you post war cards went up but not the growth of T206's have seen.

Anybody the know what Cobb/Wajo/Young T206's were worth in mid 80's... My old beckett doesn't have a list of them; or your average commons?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:13 PM
Steve Birmingham

I bought both of the Cobbs I have back in the mid 80's, one maybe late 80's. They're in pretty rough shape, each was $50.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:49 AM
Paul

- Have certain HOF's grown more than others or even commons?

I've been collecting T206s pretty consistently over the past 20 years. And there has been a growing separation of certain HOFers like Lajoie and Speaker. I do not see the same rate of growth in Wajo or Matty. Or any of the next tier HOFers.

Cobb has, indeed, set himself way ahead of the pack. An SGC 60 Cobb Red Portrait was equally valued to an SGC 60 Wajo Portrait for a long time. About two years ago, something shifted in the market, and now that same Cobb will cost you three times as much as that same Wajo. I do think Cobb will eventually readjust - particularly on the red Portrait, which was super printed and may have survived better than any other T206 over the years. But, to be sure, there are no signs of a slow down yet!

- What cards or players have you noticed that have leveled off in prices and aren't growing as fast as others?

Certain commons are now well known as being rarer than others. Adkins, for example, sells for quite a premium. Krause, for whatever reason, is the exact opposite.

- Are there any cards that have had a big craze and then began declining in price?

Seems to me Elberfeld Wasington portrait has not retained its value over the years. People also have woken up to the notion that Lundrgen KC may be just as tough as Lundgren CHI. Low grade Demmitts and OHaras (STL) have been pretty flat for awhile.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 09-21-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post

Anybody the know what Cobb/Wajo/Young T206's were worth in mid 80's... My old beckett doesn't have a list of them; or your average commons?
I have the original printing of Lew Lipset's book from 1986. His prices were for Ex-Mt
Cobb green 300
Cobb bat on 250
Cobb bat off 225
Cobb red 200
Johnson 100
Matty black cap 110
Matty white cap 90
Hof 25
Commons 12-25.

I had started collecting the year before and I know that I was paying 5 for commons, so I would cut those prices in half for values before the boom.No price on Young, but I want to say 40.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:20 AM

rats 60, thanks for the information... those prices are like wowwwwweee.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:18 PM

T205 Cobb was priced the same as the t206 green. Now it is about a third.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:26 PM
D.mitr.y D.

Top tier HOFers, especially the Cobbs and other portraits, have shot up in price a great deal in the last year or two.

Rare backs are consistently trending upwards, especially the mid to top tier rare backs (Hindu Brown and up).

As others have mentioned, oddities/mis-cuts/double names/print errors/color shifts/scrap/ghosts/missing color passes/etc, and even blank backs, have leveled off and even come down a bit.

Titus has cooled off quite a bit.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:27 PM
Kyle May

This thread is an interesting read. Thank you OP for posting.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 09-21-2017, 08:59 PM

Default Great topic!

Great thread....T206 are smart to pick up....one of the most collected sets ever! top 3 collected I would say...

I have been collecting them for almost 25 years now.....as most know here, I love the printers scraps, rare backs, and freaks...especially the scraps...

my observations recently:

mainstream:

1) Green Cobb- absolutely white hot! the last year, they have been insane! still showing no signs of a slow down..... greens have become the "poor man's Wagner" of the set as of late.....absolutely amazing....I see no slow down in the near future....even beaters are brining crazy prices

2) the other 3 cobbs( red, bat on, bat off): always a great investment...they are like cardboard cash

3) HOFERS- the legends bring strong prices and are rising( Young, Matty, Wojo, ect) the other HOFers- stabile.....great condition ones are the way to go

4) Rare backs- always in demand.....especially brown hindu and up...

5) the big 4 (magie, plank, Wagner, Doyle)- if you are lucky enough to own a true piece of history....always a sure bet.....even the beaters...

"fringe and alternative collecting":

these are very subjective......the market is "thin" on these....but can take huge swings and are volatile....

they deserve a thread of their own.....Paul could comment on the auto side

1) scraps/miscuts/freaks/missing reds/missing inks/ "tweener scrap"/overprints/underprints/caption errors/ghosts/2 namers/sheet numbered/print marks/ proofs/ upside down backs/etc. -

these , in general, have seen softer prices lately.....many factors and variables to attest to this....not all have been soft, some have become impossible to aquire and command crazy prices....some are rising, some are falling.....I will try to start a thread tom about it...

2) autos- always "touch and go" .......same as the cards mentioned above.....paul can elaborate more
Old 09-21-2017, 09:03 PM
pete ullman

nice synopsis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
Great thread....T206 are smart to pick up....one of the most collected sets ever! top 3 collected I would say...

I have been collecting them for almost 25 years now.....as most know here, I love the printers scraps, rare backs, and freaks...especially the scraps...

my observations recently:

mainstream:

1) Green Cobb- absolutely white hot! the last year, they have been insane! still showing no signs of a slow down..... greens have become the "poor man's Wagner" of the set as of late.....absolutely amazing....I see no slow down in the near future....even beaters are brining crazy prices

2) the other 3 cobbs( red, bat on, bat off): always a great investment...they are like cardboard cash

3) HOFERS- the legends bring strong prices and are rising( Young, Matty, Wojo, ect) the other HOFers- stabile.....great condition ones are the way to go

4) Rare backs- always in demand.....especially brown hindu and up...

5) the big 4 (magie, plank, Wagner, Doyle)- if you are lucky enough to own a true piece of history....always a sure bet.....even the beaters...

"fringe and alternative collecting":

these are very subjective......the market is "thin" on these....but can take huge swings and are volatile....

they deserve a thread of their own.....Paul could comment on the auto side

1) scraps/miscuts/freaks/missing reds/missing inks/ "tweener scrap"/overprints/underprints/caption errors/ghosts/2 namers/sheet numbered/print marks/ proofs/ upside down backs/etc. -

these , in general, have seen softer prices lately.....many factors and variables to attest to this....not all have been soft, some have become impossible to aquire and command crazy prices....some are rising, some are falling.....I will try to start a thread tom about it...

2) autos- always "touch and go" .......same as the cards mentioned above.....paul can elaborate more
Old 09-21-2017, 09:15 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post

I know I would like to see a new thread on these and how they are doing now. Please add many pictures.

As an error collector(not T206's though) for 30 years the crazy price swings are a good and bad thing. When I was selling I would stock up when cheap and sell when prices went through the roof. Now I rarely sell and usually only buy when prices tank.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:55 AM

Default thanks guys!

Pete.....thank you my friend!!.....coming from you that means a lot.....you are a card guru and expert in every way...love your posts!

Ben...

great strategy! I am in the same boat as you....I am heavily vested in scrap/errors , but will give the "real deal" on them always.....they are truly "snowflakes" and individually unique...

I will try to start a thread like this over the weekend....look forward to all your input....I have been super busy lately and haven't been able to post as much as I would like to...
Old 09-25-2017, 05:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I know I would like to see a new thread on these and how they are doing now. Please add many pictures.

As an error collector(not T206's though) for 30 years the crazy price swings are a good and bad thing. When I was selling I would stock up when cheap and sell when prices went through the roof. Now I rarely sell and usually only buy when prices tank.
T206 Errors and miscuts have been up and down quite a bit over the last 15 yrs and have seemed down a little bit lately....Top tier HOF'ers have generally done well too. Generally I agree with Mrvster (hi Johnny) on this one....and he should know as his middle name is T206.

Last edited by Leon; 09-25-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:00 PM

I have not been collecting t206 nearly as long as most. But over the past 2+ years that I have been collecting, here are a few thoughts: (1) I agree with everything said so far, (2) after lajoie/speaker, it looks like Cubs, and to lesser degree, Highlanders have a lot of interest, particularly tinker, Evers, M Brown, and Marquard, (3) the mid-tier backs seem like a good value given the prices of CB and rarer backs, with AB backs seemingly slightly preferred to cycle, Tolstoi, and EPDG (without getting into series), and Hindu and Pied fact 42 is very hit or miss, and (4) even though SC 350, 25 or other SC/Pied are more rare than others, nobody cares - they are all SCs or Piedmonts (unless you are doing a back run and then you see how rare some series/factories can be with common backs).
Old 09-26-2017, 03:27 PM

Default Leon.....

Very well said! you are spot on my friend....I owe you a call....I haven't called you in a while..I have been so busy, but would love to shoot the breeze......would like to thank you again for your kind words......you are by far one of the most well rounded, wise , and smart collectors ..your forum has been the catalyst for my collecting interest and meeting so, so many great people, actually great friends !!I have made and so many other things from this Net54 Board, and it actually has become a big part of my life.....

Thanks again Leon! you are great people!

Ryan...

you have hit it on the head! you are very smart with these cardboard treasures....your collection must be mind blowing! great taste in 206 I might add

Ben...

sorry I haven't posted the "error 206 market" thread yet, but will eventually get around to it...

cheers everyone