NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Default T206 set collectors, what is your focus when it comes to obtaining cards?

Posted By: DJ

I'm in a crossroads as far as completing my T206 set. I always had a general idea of how to collect the set when I started many, many years ago, but with prices escalating (I'm now paying 40-50 for VG commons!) and a growing interest, I'm kind of swaying.

I was wondering what the major focus was for board members here that have either completed the set or are in the midst of completing it.

I.E

1) Condition (all have to be around the same grade)
2) Condition (doesn't matter)
3) Backs (collect as many backs as possible)
4) Registry (want to register and watch your set climb)
5) Cards you prefer more have to be high grades (I.E My Tigers grade high)
6) The hope of attaining at least one of the big toughies
7) Have some oddities, overprints, missing inks...
8) Or does it simply not matter as long as you eventually complete it
9) Other__________

Thanks for your help!

DJ

Old 09-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default T206 set collectors, what is your focus when it comes to obtaining cards?

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi DJ,
The main thing is to collect what you like and what you can afford. Finishing the set is a great accomplishment, but it isn't as cheap as it used to be. Therefore many collectors have decided to buid there own T206 set. Here are a few popular choices:
1. Portraits only
2. Major League only
3. One pose of each player
4. Team sets
5. Hof sets
6. Rare back sets.

I'm sure there are many more T206 "type" sets out there like Old Ted's Piedmont only.

Have fun, stay on budget, and collect what looks good to your eye.

Happy hunting Brian

Old 09-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

and have started again. For my first set my emphasis was just to complete it. I wasn't particulary condition concious as long as they weren't rags. Gave little or no attention to backs except that I was working on a Downey batting back set as I had the Uzit and about ten or so other backs. Always wanted a Drum but not now. Now I'm going for a graded (SGC) set. I'm about 43% there and likely will not complete it during my lifetime. As I collect I do concentrate on the portraits wherever possible. They make a nice sub-set especially the Giants. And finally, not to hijack your post, I emailed you Ted with the fact that I have the Young with a Piedmont back.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I completed the set (minus Wagner, Magie, Plank and Doyle) by basically buying commons in bulk lots on ebay and picking up HOFers, SL and rarities along the way when I thought a good deal was to be had. When I would get doubles, I would sell the lesser condition and use the funds to purchase additional cards.

I initially tried to pick up HOFers in SGC 60 condition, but that slipped to SGC 50, and now I'll even settle for SGC 40. I settle for SGC 30 on SLers and rarities -- indeed, I have settled for SGC 30 or lower on quite a few rarities and HOFers.

I now have greater than 50% of the cards graded by SGC with an average grade of above 40. I would like to have the remaining cards graded by SGC and stay above 40, but I don't know when that'll happen. I have about 200 sub-SGC 40 quality commons and southern leaguers to still have graded. Lately, when I see an SGC 40 common that I don't have for $30 or less, I try to buy it.

I'm making a home purchase next week and have a second kid on the way in January, so the card upgrading has taken a real back seat for the moment. But once in a blue moon I see something that I can get to upgrade my collection and flip the lower condition doubles at essentially no cost to me. Very rarely these days, however.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

Howdy,
I've been slowly putting together a minor league set, does anyone have a complete checklist of the T206 minor leaguers (I'm leaving out the SLer's)?

Thanks,
Sean

Old 09-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

I finally decided to do mostly good to very good (yes,i'm a slabber) and am
nearing 425 or so now.
I did make sure to get a broadleaf, carolina, hindu along the way---with
at least one example of the rest of the less difficult backs (incl.different factory numbers).

I still say go for the whole Monster as best you can.
Don't listen to the monster; remember --The Monster wants you to give up.

happy collecting.

barry

Old 09-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Barry,
I finished the Monster Minus Wagner back in the 90's, but broke it down to go after rare backs. I have only one regret, selling my Plank, which to this day makes me sick. I have over 2000 T206's at the momment, but have no idea if I have a set minus the big 5 or 6. I guess working on the super set with 5000+ combo's has made the 521 seem small. Be wll Brian

PS My set was finished before Doyle, so I don't count him.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Thanks,Brian!
Somehow I feel extra proud knowing that a fellow tarheel
has 2000 plus 206's!!!
Thankfully, for the sake of the super set, you did shift
to rare backs. That's where we're still having some trouble
getting data, but we surely would have been in desperate
trouble if you had not had so many of the rarer backs to
offer.
You may have told us this before, but do you have a suggestion for some further reading regarding your discussion of your most interesting insight concerning the early
distributions of 206 cards in various parts of the country.

I'm eager to do the reading and the research.

thanks Brian.

best,

Barry

Old 09-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Hello, I just collect Detroit players, completed that type set long ago. Did not care about backs, sold a Polar Bear back Ty Cobb years ago for $150.00 because I had doubles. Kept the best front. I have all the cards graded, lucky with some buys, Green Cobb is an SGC 70, Bat on is SGC 70, Bat off is SGC 50 and Red is PSA 4. Most others are SGC 50 and SGC 60, a couple SGC 30.

I can't imagine attempting to collect the complete set. That is to narrow and tough for me. Others enjoy I know. Good luck to all.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 09-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve yawitz

I don't necessarily have any specific focus since I'm hoping to finish the set (sans Wagner, Plank and Doyle) over the course of my collecting days. But I do mainly look for cards with bold color and crisp registration, even if the cards are only in otherwise fair condition.

I'd also like to have at least one of each back type - still need Broadleaf on up - and will go out of my way a bit if I can pick up additional middle tier backs like American Beauty or Hindu. While I'm generally content with just one copy of each front, I am trying to get as many possible front-back combos for the St. Louis players. Good thing I don't live in Detroit or New York.

http://imageevent.com/yawie99

Old 09-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Yawie,
You need an Uzit---no more Hindu's!!
Just kidding,buddy

all the best,

barry

Old 09-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee

I've been trying to get all the hall of famers first for my set in grade 2 or better. I've paid almost no attention to rare backs at this point. After I get all the HOF's, besides the big ones of course, I'll start focusing on backs and commons. Haven't gotten any southern leaguers yet! My set is only about 5% complete right now, but it is growing by about 0.5% a week.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I was fortunate enough to complete the T206 set in the mid 90's (minus the Big 4 plus I still need the green Cobb which I'll get in time) in VGEX creaseless condition. Some cards are exish and exmtish but the set is pretty homogenous with regard to condition.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

I was going to try to get the set of commons and southern leaguers, but theres just so many to get. i rarely won a lot on ebay because of people with deeper pockets, so i sort of lost interest in t206s. i really got into E cards, like the e93-e94-e97-e98 sets. i only have to collect 30, and not over 500. the e93 set shouldn't be that tough to get, except for the Cobb, Wagner, Matty and Young, although the Plank and Waddell's go for alot more lately. The prices for HOFers go for rediculous prices compared to E cards. I still have about 40 - 50-ish t206s, but i guess i'll sell some of them to make way for more E cards.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I still have about 15 upgrades needed to make my whole set crease-free. Generally I have gone for commons in vg/ex to ex and HOFs in ex to ex/mt (some higher, a few lesser). Luckily, I finished most of this a while ago before prices got crazy. I am upgrading these last few commons, but otherwise leaving as is - roughly an ex set. High-grade HoFs and rarities are graded, but 90% is raw.

I also tried to get as much back diversity along the way and one of each of the brand backs which I did complete about two years ago when I picked up a Drum.

JimB