NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Kyle May

Default Storing Cards in a Fireproof Safe

I am a 2nd Amendment man, and last Christmas asked my now-fiancee for a fireproof safe for guns and other important documents. With guns, there is the issue of rust when it comes to storing them in a safe, so most people get a dehumidfier for the inside.

I got a second safe (identical) this Christmas for my cards, and was wondering if anyone else stored their more valuable cards in a fireproof safe. If so, do you use anything to keep moisture out? Does moisture in a safe even have an effect on cards?

Edit: I should add that I also keep a couple autograph memorabilia in this safe. Any fear of moisture in the safe damaging the autographs on the item(s)?

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 12-27-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Scott Russell

really? What well-regulated militia do you belong to? Or did you mean you just like guns?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 12-27-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
really? What well-regulated militia do you belong to? Or did you mean you just like guns?
My rank is "Citizen" in the "United States of America".

And I like guns.

Any input on my question?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 12-27-2016, 02:04 PM

Don't forget to consider water - fire and heat are important considerations, but smoke and water normally do more damage than the actual fire. So whichever safe you consider, please look into its ability to keep water from seeping in.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadekrazy View Post
Don't forget to consider water - fire and heat are important considerations, but smoke and water normally do more damage than the actual fire. So whichever safe you consider, please look into its ability to keep water from seeping in.
1 step ahead of ya. This is what I have.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/4...tion_Fire_Safe

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 12-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I am a 2nd Amendment man, and last Christmas asked my now-fiancee for a fireproof safe for guns and other important documents. With guns, there is the issue of rust when it comes to storing them in a safe, so most people get a dehumidfier for the inside.

I got a second safe (identical) this Christmas for my cards, and was wondering if anyone else stored their more valuable cards in a fireproof safe. If so, do you use anything to keep moisture out? Does moisture in a safe even have an effect on cards?

I have used a 32-gun fire safe for my cards for 5-6 years. The safe is in a temperature regulated area of my home. The cards in this safe are all graded and I have never seen any signs of any moisture in the safe, on the cards, etc. I have a second fire safe (non-gun) which I have used for 15+ years for my raw cards and have never seen any signs of moisture in the safe, on the cards, etc.

Upon the expansion of my collection, I opted for the gun safe, because as far as space, I got the most "bang" for my buck.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
I have used a 32-gun fire safe for my cards for 5-6 years. The safe is in a temperature regulated area of my home. The cards in this safe are all graded and I have never seen any signs of any moisture in the safe, on the cards, etc. I have a second fire safe (non-gun) which I have used for 15+ years for my raw cards and have never seen any signs of moisture in the safe, on the cards, etc.

Upon the expansion of my collection, I opted for the gun safe, because as far as space, I got the most "bang" for my buck.
Excellent to hear.

So you don't use any dehumidifying materials?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 12-27-2016, 02:14 PM
Robert*C@tlett

About 25 years ago, I purchased a large, HEAVY Browning gun safe. The door is actually a little loose when locked to allow air to circulate. It has a seal which melts at a certain temperature and seals the door air-tight (although I really don't know how you would get it open after a fire). In 25 years of collecting high end .44 magnum handguns, I have never had any issues with moisture or rust. Now the top is filled with firearms and the bottom with cards. The only problem I had was moving it to my new house.
Topps Venezuela - need 1967 #284
OPC - done
Regional, Food, etc. - need quite a few
would like to find - 1961 Keychain Insert, 1977 NST Oh/Aaron
Old 12-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Excellent to hear.

So you don't use any dehumidifying materials?
I do not use any dehumidifying materials .....never felt I needed to, possibly (as Robert mentioned) the door's seal has helped with this.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:54 PM
Chris R

I use silica desiccant packs and humidity indicator cards within my waterproof safe.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:48 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommesc View Post
I use silica desiccant packs and humidity indicator cards within my waterproof safe.
Where is your safe stored? Basement or a more temperature-controlled area of your house?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 12-27-2016, 06:13 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Where can one buy these locally? At a hardware store?
Old 12-27-2016, 08:54 PM
Chris R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Where can one buy these locally? At a hardware store?
Hi Sam,
Not aware of a local source for humidity indicators. Very small desiccant packs may be available at shoe stores. I prefer the larger size desiccant pouches and bought them on eBay, similar to this offering: https://goo.gl/TPvU23

PM sent on amount of desiccant.

Last edited by rommesc; 12-28-2016 at 08:34 PM. Reason: PM Sent
Old 12-27-2016, 11:32 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:

Huh? WTF, is this suppose to be funny? Lots of us have guns for many different reasons, none of which should concern you. The question asked was about storing cards anyway.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:28 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
Huh? WTF, is this suppose to be funny? Lots of us have guns for many different reasons, none of which should concern you. The question asked was about storing cards anyway.
I'm not anti-gun, my point wasn't political. My point was don't reference the 2nd amendment unless you know it. I was going to let it drop.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-28-2016, 03:31 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
I'm not anti-gun, my point wasn't political. My point was don't reference the 2nd amendment unless you know it. I was going to let it drop.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
I see the can of worms slowly opening here..............
Old 12-28-2016, 03:55 AM

Chris- thanks for the eBay link, I've been looking for these. How many do you put in the safe? How often do you change them? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:50 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Hi Sam,
Not aware of a local source for humidity indicators. Very small desiccant packs may be available at shoe stores. I prefer the larger size desiccant pouches and bought them on eBay, similar to this offering: https://goo.gl/TPvU23
Thank you for your response.

All of my cards in the safe are slabbed. Has anyone ever had an issue with moisture penetrating a slab?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:10 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

I have a smaller fire-proof(?) safe that I store my graded stuff in. I have had it for 5+ years. I once used a colorometric desiccant in it, but no longer do - doesn't seem to be a need to.

The safe is in a climate controlled area of the house, tho.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:15 AM
Kyle May

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
I see the can of worms slowly opening here..............
No need to open cans of worms here. Too cold to fish in OH right now anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Chris- thanks for the eBay link, I've been looking for these. How many do you put in the safe? How often do you change them? Thanks.
Chris can probably answer the quantity question, but I do know that they are rechargeable and can last up to 3-4 months before being recharged.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 12-28-2016, 07:31 AM
D@le Irv*n

Before anyone gets all excited thinking their cards/collections are safe from theft, think again.
I was very close to purchasing a safe myself, and still may for the fire protection side of it, but not for stopping thieves.

I know nothing is a 100% fool proof and if someone wants something bad enough, they'll get it, but this was a real eye opener for me.

Not sure what the alternatives are but something has to be out there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3p5KUNfDG0
Old 12-28-2016, 07:48 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Before anyone gets all excited thinking their cards/collections are safe from theft, think again.
I was very close to purchasing a safe myself, and still may for the fire protection side of it, but not for stopping thieves.

I know nothing is a 100% fool proof and if someone wants something bad enough, they'll get it, but this was a real eye opener for me.

Pretty much all locks are super easy to open. I used to love those Master Lock commercials. They would show the lock getting shot with a high power rifle and say it is still locked.LOL Yes but a small sliver off a soda can will open it as fast as that guy did the safe. Locks only keep honest people honest.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Safe deposit box the best, insure the rest. Forget about the safe. Besides, if you keep all your valuable stuff in a safe you just packed it all up nicely for a burglar or gave a robber something to force you to open while he holds a gun to your kid's head.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-28-2016, 08:07 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

Both fireproof safes I have are 95 lbs empty. Granted I'm not that big and can lift it myself, but it definitely takes some effort and you're not going anywhere quickly or easily. Thieves are going to go after easily accessible stuff - my Xbox, TV, etc. I want to protect more against the fire/water damage side of things, though. Mistakes happen more often than theft, and I'd rather not bet against my human-error nature.

Also, if you get a very large gun safe (64 guns), especially a Liberty Safe, you're pretty much set. If someone does steal it, commend them - they have truly mastered theft. Those things weigh around 900-1000 lbs and have a great security system on them. You could store A LOT of cards on one of those bad boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Safe deposit box the best, insure the rest. Forget about the safe. Besides, if you keep all your valuable stuff in a safe you just packed it all up nicely for a burglar or gave a robber something to force you to open while he holds a gun to your kid's head.
Not to further open the previously opened can of worms, but this is one reason why I have firearms.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 12-28-2016, 08:29 AM
Matt

I have 2 of the Fort Knox Defenders that I use to house my grandmothers "strings to short to use for anything" collection. Each of these safes weigh in at over 1500 lbs. We had to crane them in when we were building.

Matt

Successful transactions with: Wildfireschulte, bengineno9, Davids resale shop, dougcats, wcsportscards, Bryan Long, Moonlight Graham, sycks22, Set Builder, itjclarke, mybuddyinc x 2, Double-P-Enterprises, Michael McGuffin, sebie43, T2069bk, JollyRoger, LukeLyon x 2, drjdog5150, Beatles Guy, GehrigFan, piecesofthegame, AddieJoss, Marty, HOF Yankees, FrankWakefield, Tim Fritz, vcuono, T206blogcom, btcarfagno x 3, Bleedinblue, Tolstoi, brewing
Old 12-28-2016, 08:40 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

As previously stated...safes & locks are for HONEST folks...

Tell no one that you have one. Don't open it in front of people. Conceal it in a location that is NOT obvious. Bolt it to the walls or floor, if possible. (SOME fire-proof safes allow for this WITHOUT jeopardizing their integrity.)

You do not get a quality safe without paying for quality.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-28-2016, 09:02 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

For large gun safes you can mount a dry rod that plugs in (safe needs to have holes for electrical cord, most do.) This keeps interior of safe at a consistent degree or 2 over outside area to expel moisture.

For smaller safes you can buy a rechargeable desiccant pack such as the Stack On cordless dehumidifier. The beads change color when it needs recharging (not all that often, depends on climate and size of area it's working in).

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...FQdXDQodq-EBJQ
Old 12-31-2016, 11:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am generally with Adam, in post 23 on this one.
I have a 1200 lb jewelers, fireproof safe but if the plastic gets too hot inside the slabs could still melt. When I had a bigger (more valuable) collection I had a bank safe deposit box. I doubt moisture seeps through good slabs, as in humidity, unless there is something extraordinary going on. (being submerged )

Quote:

Edit: I should add that I also keep a couple autograph memorabilia in this safe. Any fear of moisture in the safe damaging the autographs on the item(s)?

Last edited by Leon; 12-31-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:41 PM

I bought a freight-damaged fireproof Sentry floor safe and lugged it into the basement. I got bulk dessicant sold at Michael's for flower drying and placed it in an open container inside. The basement isn't very dry, but if I take the dessicant out and bake it once in a while the inside of the safe stays dry. Loaded up, the safe is too heavy to leave the basement in one piece.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:32 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am generally with Adam, in post 23 on this one.
I have a 1200 lb jewelers, fireproof safe but if the plastic gets too hot inside the slabs could still melt. When I had a bigger (more valuable) collection I had a bank safe deposit box. I doubt moisture seeps through good slabs, as in humidity, unless there is something extraordinary going on. (being submerged )
Leon,

Did you take any measures to protect your cards from the extraordinary in the safe deposit box? Poly bags?

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 12-31-2016, 10:52 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I don't keep cards in my gun safe, but I do have two different reusable desiccants in it. One is a can that you can put in the oven to recharge (a couple of hours at a low temperature) and the other plugs into the wall to recharge. I assume that there is some type of resistance heater contained in the package.

They seem to do pretty well.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Kyle, you are assuming you are home when a break-in occurs, you can get to your gun, you can use your gun successfully, and you are not going to get caught in a hostage situation or one in which you place your family in a cross-fire. I assume the opposite and plan for that scenario. If someone gets in under those circumstances, I would rather have them take whatever it is and get the hell out of the house as quickly and quietly as possible. That's why I keep the good stuff in the bank and buy insurance. Someone wants my 1981 Donruss set, don't trip on the way out...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Leon,

Did you take any measures to protect your cards from the extraordinary in the safe deposit box? Poly bags?
No. The few bank safe deposit boxes I use, and have used, are very "safe" looking. I guess you can never be too safe but it has never been an issue...
Old 01-03-2017, 08:42 PM
Christopher Zu.psic

Quote:

Also, if you get a very large gun safe (64 guns), especially a Liberty Safe, you're pretty much set. If someone does steal it, commend them - they have truly mastered theft. Those things weigh around 900-1000 lbs and have a great security system on them. You could store A LOT of cards on one of those bad boys.
I have a Liberty Presidential safe, and it was so heavy, I didn't know how they were going to get this thing into my house. I love it, and I highly recommend this brand of safe. I think it was close to 1300lbs.

Last edited by thenextlevel; 01-03-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextlevel View Post
I have a Liberty Presidential safe, and it was so heavy, I didn't know how they were going to get this thing into my house. I love it, and I highly recommend this brand of safe. I think it was close to 1300lbs.
I see a few of these my safe weight too much to carry out threads. I hate to tell you guys this but they do not want the heavy safe. They want what is inside of it.

I have a life long friend that is a locksmith and I have watched him open every type of safe imaginable in a few minutes or less. Just like any job once you know how to do it, it is easy.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:07 PM
Christopher Zu.psic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I see a few of these my safe weight too much to carry out threads. I hate to tell you guys this but they do not want the heavy safe. They want what is inside of it.

I have a life long friend that is a locksmith and I have watched him open every type of safe imaginable in a few minutes or less. Just like any job once you know how to do it, it is easy.
That's where you have a nice home security system in place, not to mention, I also have safe deposit boxes. I would never have just a safe w/o other security measures. I understand that they can break into a safe within your domicile.

Last edited by thenextlevel; 01-03-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Kyle, you are assuming you are home when a break-in occurs, you can get to your gun, you can use your gun successfully, and you are not going to get caught in a hostage situation or one in which you place your family in a cross-fire. I assume the opposite and plan for that scenario. If someone gets in under those circumstances, I would rather have them take whatever it is and get the hell out of the house as quickly and quietly as possible. That's why I keep the good stuff in the bank and buy insurance. Someone wants my 1981 Donruss set, don't trip on the way out...
Absolutely true that I might not be home when a break-in occurs. I am definitely planning on having a security system in place when I buy my house (hopefully this year). I also, however, plan on getting a couple VERY large Liberty safes - 1 for guns/ammo, and 1 for sports cards/valuables/important documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post

The thing is, if they can't get inside of it, they won't get anything. These newer LARGE safes, such as the Liberty safes (I swear by this brand), are designed to be pretty much fool-proof, with extra security measures added to their designs.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 01-04-2017 at 02:08 PM.