NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-01-2018, 08:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default PWCC-PQ (premium quality)

I guess HE has been supplanted by the next generation of hype. Purple sticker eat your heart out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-E93-St...oAAOSw4RZbEbk9

Anyone see a contradiction between all the blah blah blah about premium quality and this statement on the same page?

We at PWCC are not professional graders so we trust in the reputation and opinion of 3rd party professional graders.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-01-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Tony Conte

Wow! Prices are really really going to go up now!
Old 06-01-2018, 08:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
Wow! Prices are really really going to go up now!
Maybe that will be PWCC's next thing, to suggest how high we should bid.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-01-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Matt

I want to see a slabbed card covered with stickers— from PWCC, a few AHs, a few past owners, etc. That's the next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

Anyone see a contradiction between all the blah blah blah about premium quality and this statement on the same page?

We at PWCC are not professional graders so we trust in the reputation and opinion of 3rd party professional graders.
Wow. That is funny. "We are not graders and trust the TPGs. Here is our grading system of TPG-graded cards."

Reminds of the Chapelle Rick James skit: I wouldn't put my feet up on someone's couch... Yeah, I remember putting my feet on the couch.

Over/under on when they start slabbing/grading cards, with the caveat that they are not graders?

Last edited by MattyC; 06-01-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Yeah. We don't have the qualifications to grade, but we can sure go on and on about our qualifications to tell you about premium quality. Uh, OK.

I can't imagine there will be any politics or favoritism that goes into the PQ designation.

IMO PWCC does a great job selling cards. I wish they would stick to that and not this kind of unnecessary hype or the PWCC 100 index or who knows what's next.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-01-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Matt

Wait, Pete: they are grading the “eye appeal”— not the card, LOL.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Is there a PWCC app yet? One that shows you only PWCC cards?

Old 06-01-2018, 09:41 PM
“the bambino”

Default I’m confused...

I thought they stickered cards with “high end” when eye appeal far exceeds the technical grade. What is this “premium quality”? Are they doing away with the term “high end”? Or are they different? Can a card get both stickers? What the hell is going on...
Old 06-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

HE lives!! PQ must be one step up from HE?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1912-T202-H...wAAOSwQz1bEbcR

Good grief.

One is "superior" one is "exceptional." Well damn.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-01-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:02 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

"This is getting too silly."-- Monty Python
Old 06-01-2018, 10:50 PM
“the bambino”

Won’t be long, the majority of eBay listings will have “premium quality” in the title, and that term will get worn out and annoy the hell out of me like “high end” does.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:51 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
I thought they stickered cards with “high end” when eye appeal far exceeds the technical grade. What is this “premium quality”? Are they doing away with the term “high end”? Or are they different? Can a card get both stickers? What the hell is going on...
From the descriptions of the two linked auctions high end is top 5% of examples, and the new premium quality is top 15% of examples of that card in the same grade.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:57 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/eye-appeal

PQ is one tier below HE
Old 06-02-2018, 04:22 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
From the descriptions of the two linked auctions high end is top 5% of examples, and the new premium quality is top 15% of examples of that card in the same grade.
But could the two be combined together forming : High End Premium Quality?

This could be the top 5% of the 5% of the 15% of examples of the card within the same grade.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 06-02-2018 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Percentages. I am confused.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:53 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

This is such b.s., how can you know something is the top 20% or 15%, etc. of a certain population unless you have the entire population in front of you at one time to evaluate.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:53 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Is there a PWCC app yet? One that shows you only PWCC cards?
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......we can make this happen!
Old 06-02-2018, 04:58 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Dont give them any ideas!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-02-2018, 06:09 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I think I'm going to try and cash in on this idea too. I'm going to have my own high-end sticker/certification. I think I will use a yellow label.

It's going to be called Super High-end Illustrious Top Tier Yellow or SHITTY for short. Before you know it, everyone will want a SHITTY sticker on their card. I'll be rich!
Old 06-02-2018, 06:47 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 06-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Lonnie Nagel

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D977&FORM=VIRE

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 06-02-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The app could alert you when a card has hit 80 percent of its expected final value -- which in many cases would be within a few hours of listing.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Matt

They need to give little stars or certificates for making certain bids on their items. That would certainly stimulate bidding even further, from those who need extra third-party validation and a pat on the head... Maybe a little dunce cap logo or something.

That said, a system that in effect overrides PSA grades certainly has some philosophical validity; PSA grades are pretty tragic and too often don't reflect eye appeal whatsoever. It seems every time I search for cards, I find cards in PSA X grade that are thrown beatings by cards a full grade lower.

The dumpster fire is due in part to PSA's changing standards over time. We have cards in slabs from many years ago that look horrid, and much better looking cards graded today can't get the same grade.

End result is more onus on the end buyer/collector to issue the final and most important grade with our wallets.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Barry (hi Barry) and I were talking about this very subject recently. Hobbyist's are becoming more savvy. Just because a TPG says a card is a technical grade doesn't mean it is the best quality or has the best eye appeal, only that it meets the technical criteria for that grade. I almost never buy higher graded cards because I can almost always find a better looking one in a lower grade (cheaper to buy) holder. The registry might actually help us other collectors in that respect. Because those collectors need the point higher more than great looking cards.

As to the subject of another sticker? It's not a big deal to me. It is no more than another point of view on condition where I am the final arbiter for my collection, not anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
They need to give little stars or certificates for making certain bids on their items. That would certainly stimulate bidding even further, from those who need extra third-party validation and a pat on the head... Maybe a little dunce cap logo or something.

That said, a system that in effect overrides PSA grades certainly has some philosophical validity; PSA grades are pretty tragic and too often don't reflect eye appeal whatsoever. It seems every time I search for cards, I find cards in PSA X grade that are thrown beatings by cards a full grade lower.

The dumpster fire is due in part to PSA's changing standards over time. We have cards in slabs from many years ago that look horrid, and much better looking cards graded today can't get the same grade.

End result is more onus on the end buyer/collector to issue the final and most important grade with our wallets.

Last edited by Leon; 06-02-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:30 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The registry might actually help us other collectors in that respect. Because those collectors need the point higher more than great looking cards.
Totally agree. The Registry motto seems to be, "Buy The Holder, Not The Card."
Old 06-02-2018, 08:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Totally agree. The Registry motto seems to be, "Buy The Holder, Not The Card."
But what happens when PWCC starts its own registry?

Old 06-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

I have yet to see anyone say a card sucks for the grade.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
This is such b.s., how can you know something is the top 20% or 15%, etc. of a certain population unless you have the entire population in front of you at one time to evaluate.
No point trying to bring reason or logic to bear on this. This is marketing hype pure and simple and bs is the currency of marketing.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Matt

Quote:
Oh, I say it a ton, when I browse almost every auction,

Last edited by MattyC; 06-02-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
But what happens when PWCC starts its own registry?
Wonderful. The more registry du jour collectors the better. Then I can buy my cards cheaper!!

Last edited by Leon; 06-02-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:51 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I remember seeing it once. On that green cobb that was a PSA 4 or 5 with paper loss on the back. I think the way it was described was the paper loss seems inconsistent with the assigned grade. It was in a big auction, heritage or rea.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
Well done. Maybe that's next, selling advertising space on slabs.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Scott Russell

"Exceptionaly eye appeal for the issue, rating a 3/3 on our scale"

OK so spelling and grammar aside (really it makes your company look pretty dumb but whatever) how about a definition of "our scale" so we know what the hell "3/3" means. Oh wait, it's meaningless.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

So does a 4 on a scale of 3 get a high end?

Old 06-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
I've listed cards on ebay that say it looks worse than the assigned grade.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 06-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I've listed cards on ebay that say it looks worse than the assigned grade.
You are certainly exceptionaly then.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_spaeth View Post
you are certainly exceptionaly then.
lol

Old 06-02-2018, 12:59 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

What about when PSA teams up with PWCC to give extra points on the registry for HE and PQ cards? Won't that be special?

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-02-2018, 07:05 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

"This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons" -- Ricky Bobby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvi9zpHlrvg
Old 06-03-2018, 12:35 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
So does a 4 on a scale of 3 get a high end?
The same way an athlete can give 110%
Old 06-03-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
ok, ty

Last edited by bostonmarathonman; 06-03-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:59 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Here's some additional simple math that further says this system is B.S.

If average as defined by pwcc's own website is 50% of the population, shouldn't below average and above average each be 25% of the remaining population (basic normal population curve)? You can further breakdown either or both of those population areas into as many pieces as you want, ie. above average, exceptional, high end, etc. but they should sum to 25% each. PWCC has somehow found it possible and proper to invalidate the immutable tennents of math/statistics by having below average contain only 20% of the population and the entire area deemed higher than average comprise 30% of the population.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 06-03-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:53 AM
Eric Bea.chley

HE is for the technical grade. PQ is for the eye-appeal. The hobby needs this.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:25 AM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
HE is for the technical grade. PQ is for the eye-appeal. The hobby needs this.
No...they both refer to eye appeal

As a consignor, I’m glad to see them do everything possible to maximize sales. As a buyer, I don’t care how they label anything (or how a grader grades anything).
Old 06-03-2018, 08:18 AM
$cott Cl1nt0n

I posted this in a thread when I first joined Net54 (and seen it discussed in other threads as well) but I'll say it again. It absolutely blows my mind that multi-million dollar companies make these assessments without any, or maybe a minimum of, 21st century technology. We all know even a 1 pt change in a TPGs grading of a card can have huge ramifications in that cards value. Just looking on eBay today, a 1987 Donruss Greg Maddux RC SGC 98 is about a $80 card - SGC 100 is a $600-800 card. And that's a modern rookie - we saw the same thing at HA with the PSA 8.5 and 9 Mantle 52 Topps cards. I know everyone who saw the 9 raves about the card and from the scans, I agree, but that's something like a $1.6 million change over 1/2 point grade. Not even getting into the discussion of TPG changing standards over time.

My background is in engineering and I've seen quality related equipment that can measure down to the 1/100 th of a mm. It's impossible to believe that there is not scanning software available that could grade a card electronically (corners, centering, etc). You could also have permanent storage of the scan for any future needs. Maybe things like focus, clarity would still be subjective but the technology is out there to make something this important and $ related as objective and scientific as possible.

I may be misinformed about how cards are currently graded by the TPGs and I hope I am, but no matter how experienced or trained a grader may or may not be, grading solely by visual inspection should have been abandoned in the last century.

Rant over...Carry on
Old 06-03-2018, 08:34 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

As far as I can tell this is just a gimmick for PWCC to pimp PSA 3s and 4s and try to convince people they are worth more than they are worth. Good eye appeal in the real estate business usually means nice looking house but it’s located right behind the train tracks.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I definitely agree with their "point" and why they do this. But at the same time, leave some work and responsibility to the eye of the beholder.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:00 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

You know it's just a matter of time before slabs start getting slabbed, with each grade getting it's own 10 point system.... essentially ending up like coins. "This PSA 4 rates an 8 out of 10 within the 4 grade". It really is turning into a Monty Python skit.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:43 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
No...they both refer to eye appeal

As a consignor, I’m glad to see them do everything possible to maximize sales. As a buyer, I don’t care how they label anything (or how a grader grades anything).
Yes. This.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:29 AM
Chr$stopher Pett$

Being a clemente collector- I just came across a new "premium quality" listing. A 1958 Topps Clemente SGC 7.5 - the card certainly is well centered with sharp corners - but is significantly out of focus- enough to bother my personal "eye appeal" test - thus the 7.5 from SGC and probably a lower grade from PSA ...
Old 06-04-2018, 06:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7777.jpg (76.2 KB, 286 views)