NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I won 38 graded cards in last week's Sterling Sports Auction - that's a lot of plastic and a lot of weight. My shipping charge was $18, which I gladly paid and thought was very reasonable. Then, I got a refund notice from PayPal with a note from Lee saying, "I was able to get it all in a Medium FR, so here is a little back." He refunded me $3, making my shipping cost only $15 for 38 graded cards. Is that excellent customer service, or what?!? Maybe these other AH's should take note.

Thank you, Lee!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:21 AM
qualitycards

Lee (& Brian before him) has always been top notch.
REA (now w/ Brian added to the crew) is also great w/ quick & free shipping.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Robert Klevens

I just looked at the FedEx website and to send a 1 pound (which is the minimum) package from here in Florida to California without any insurance their published rates are as follows:

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:00 AM FedEx First Overnight® 98.60
Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:30 AM FedEx Priority Overnight® 64.66
Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:00 PM FedEx Standard Overnight® 58.25
Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:30 AM FedEx 2Day AM® 30.17
Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:30 PM FedEx 2Day® 26.23
Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:30 PM FedEx Express Saver® 20.64
End of day(4 Business Days) FedEx Ground® 9.04

For most items the USPS is more economical, but many auction houses won't use them.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Tom Boblitt

Ok.....now you did it..........

You're badmouthing UPS! They've put food on my table for 29 years........
(actually, WAY too much food, but that's another story)

You can badmouth SCP but not UPS!

Joking.....although I work there, they're not high on my list right now since they zilched my wife's healthcare. Also another story.

Everyone should use USPS for single cards. They don't have to make money so they charge a lot less. They have no shareholders.

The frustration is just so unlike you..............
Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 PM

I'm with Tom easy on UPS. Also agree single cards should go through USPS. Although most everything is shipped through UPS and Fed Ex anyway, yes USPS uses UPS & FedEx to ship their packages...
Old 09-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Ok.....now you did it..........

You're badmouthing UPS! They've put food on my table for 29 years........
(actually, WAY too much food, but that's another story)

You can badmouth SCP but not UPS!

Joking.....although I work there, they're not high on my list right now since they zilched my wife's healthcare. Also another story.

Everyone should use USPS for single cards. They don't have to make money so they charge a lot less. They have no shareholders.

The frustration is just so unlike you..............

Pretty much most healthcare is gone. Mine too.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
I just looked at the FedEx website and to send a 1 pound (which is the minimum) package from here in Florida to California without any insurance their published rates are as follows:

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:00 AM FedEx First Overnight® 98.60
Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:30 AM FedEx Priority Overnight® 64.66
Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:00 PM FedEx Standard Overnight® 58.25
Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:30 AM FedEx 2Day AM® 30.17
Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:30 PM FedEx 2Day® 26.23
Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:30 PM FedEx Express Saver® 20.64
End of day(4 Business Days) FedEx Ground® 9.04

For most items the USPS is more economical, but many auction houses won't use them.
then you have to pay the guy to box stuff it with your package stuffers, bubble wrap, shipping labels, ink for the invoice they print out, tape it all up, mark it paid in their billing systems, etc. he gets a decent salary to handle your valuables, with health care, life insurance, maybe a pension, 401k like the rest of us.

there isn't a room full of elves handling this process for candy canes.

kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 09-11-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder View Post
then you have to pay the guy to box stuff it with your package stuffers, bubble wrap, shipping labels, ink for the invoice they print out, tape it all up, mark it paid in their billing systems, etc. he gets a decent salary to handle your valuables, with health care, life insurance, maybe a pension, 401k like the rest of us.

there isn't a room full of elves handling this process for candy canes.

kevin

In fairness I would expect the 20% (or so) Buyer's Premium to cover some of that, not the S&H.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
In fairness I would expect the 20% (or so) Buyer's Premium to cover some of that, not the S&H.
that is what makes it a free market. much like all of the other pricing that gets discussed....you can chose to take your business else where or pay the price that it costs to do business with a particular business.

i don't really see much point in arguing really about the whole thing. the prices are listed on the webiste. you sign up and agree to pay a price when you knowingly bid on a card.

its almost like bitching about how TGIF fridays doesn't have cheaper hamburgers after you bought and ate your hamburger.

go to mcdonalds and pick yourself up a quarter pounder. you know they are cheaper there. they even ship your burger to you through a window.

kevin
Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Ja,mie B.

UPS is ridiculously overpriced. I don't think that if there is a package for $17 that it actually goes to the shipping department and paying the guy's salary, or any of their other expenses. I would bet that the $17 goes straight to UPS. Considering the cost of UPS, I doubt that SCP makes much if any money off of shipping.

But, Dan makes some good points that it is insensitive to the "little guy" who might just want one card. The auction houses would do better to send packages under $1000 via USPS. It would be better for the small collector. Yet that is not where the profit lies for the large auction houses, so they will cater their systems to the large purchasers who spend large sums, and if that means going with UPS, then that is what they will do.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Cain J.

+1 I bought quite a few cards from him in one of the recent auctions. I purchased around 12 cards and the total shipping was only around $15 than he refunded me a few bucks and apologized once the cards were mailed. It was some of the best customer service I've run across in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I won 38 graded cards in last week's Sterling Sports Auction - that's a lot of plastic and a lot of weight. My shipping charge was $18, which I gladly paid and thought was very reasonable. Then, I got a refund notice from PayPal with a note from Lee saying, "I was able to get it all in a Medium FR, so here is a little back." He refunded me $3, making my shipping cost only $15 for 38 graded cards. Is that excellent customer service, or what?!? Maybe these other AH's should take note.

Thank you, Lee!!!