NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T

Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Default Extremely unusual Mid '80's Chicago Cubs team photo Sandberg auto

I have for sale a very unusual Cubs team photograph that I can date to 1986. During this time frame I did work for the Cubs and obtained the unusual team photo from the Cub's team photographer and have had it in my possession ever since.

The occasion was the annual Cubs Care dinner which was held under a huge tent on Wrigley Field on an off day evening. Now this was before Wrigley had lights and honestly, it was pretty cool to see hundreds of wealthy Cubs fans (or those who saved their money for this event) spending time under the tent on a moonlite night hanging out with the team. Each player, coach and team support staff was assigned a table to sit at and the fans who had paid their $100 per ticket would get to sit at these tables and eat an incredible meal on legendary Wrigley Field while schmoozing with Cubs players. This was a event where evening wear was required hence the white tuxedos for all the players. Each player would sport a red bow tie while the coaches and support staff (trainers, video guy) would wear blue. This photo was taken right before the start of the dinner, and before the fans who paid for these tickets were allowed to enter the old ball park.

This is an 8x10 photo with a mat-satin type finish. I have had this in my collection since it was made back in 1986 and has been stored in a magazine acid free board and bag and has never been displayed. There are no rips, bends, folds or tears in the photo at all.

A few times I had the opportunity to get a few of the players to sign this as I thought it would be cool to do so. I was able to get Gary Matthews, Steve Trout and baseball Hall Of Famer Ryne Sandberg to sign this photo.

The back story about the Sandberg auto is that he was managing in the CUbs minor league system with the Peoria Chiefs and they had come to town for a weekend series against the local team where I live, the Beloit Snappers. I knew where the visiting teams stayed so I happened to drive there one morning on the off chance of seeing Ryno. Now this place was a typical travel motel right off an interstate where the rooms all had entrances right off the parking lot. I pulled into the lot and who do I see walking out of the coffee shop was Mr. Sandberg. I introduced myself (there was nobody around which probably helped me) and explained I used to work for the team and asked him if he would sign the photo. He looked at it, got a large smile on his face and signed it for me. He said he knew I must have worked in the front office if I had this photo as only the team received them Ryno went on to say he has this exact photo in his collection and considers it one of the prized photos he owns.

Included in this photo is Hall of Famers Sandberg, Eckersley and Billy Williams. Also in this photo is an incredibly young Jamie Moyer (front row, 1st on right), Lee Smith, Dallas Green, Terry Francona, Sutcliffe, Davey Lopes and Ron Cey. If you want to continue the quest to have this photo signed you will have great success as none of these players are tough signers to my knowledge although Johnny Oates, John Vukovich and Frank Castillo have sadly passed away.

I am selling much of my collection as my kids really have no use for it and I dont want to burden my wife with it if something should happen to me. This has been a huge part of my collection over the years and I would love to see it go to someone who would really cherish it as much as I have.

SOLD AND THANK YOU!!

Last edited by whitehse; 03-30-2014 at 08:14 PM.