NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Sean Brennan

Default last known autographs?

I came across the old letters I had saved from when I requested an autograph and the player wrote something on my letter. In early 1989 I got Donald Honigs "Baseball in the 30's" book and started getting it signed. I ended up with 75 signatures most of which I got through the mail. Anyways, i stumbled across this letter from a friend of Lew Fonseca whom said that this may be his last autograph. I remember receiving it in the mail right after I heard he had passed away.

base 30s cover.jpg

base 30s fonseca.jpg

base 30s fonseca letter.jpg

This is two letters regarding Jack Russell. The first where Jack wrote that he would be happy to sign mu book and the second (from when I mailed the book) written by someone at the nursing home Jack was at. Its hard to tell on the scan but he started to sign the wrong photo and then the one he did sign is a lot sloppier then his usual signature (compare the book sig to the letter sig). He died the same week I rec'd this back
base 30s russel book.jpg

base 30s russel letter'.jpg

Slightly less somber one. I wrote to Lonny Frey asking if he would sign my book and I mailed him to items to sign, a 1934 Goudey and a 1933 Who's who in baseball page....Of Benny Frey! (I was 13). Thought the letter he wrote was kind of funny. When he signed my book he wrote me a long letter about how great he thought Pete Reiser was. Lonny Seemed like a real great guy

ok share your last autograph ever stories
base 30s frey letter'.jpg

base 30s frey book.jpg

Last edited by milkit1; 09-15-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:38 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

These letters are fun to read! Great thread idea!
Old 09-15-2012, 05:03 PM

Great thread Sean. The 30's are my favorite decade for baseball. I think the stories behind the autographs make the book more valuable. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Default Red Murff- The scout that signed Nolan Ryan to his 1st pro contract

Red Murff was a pitcher for the Milwaukee Braves in 1956 and 1957.
He also happened to be the one pro scout that properly identified the genius of Nolan Ryan. Other scouts looked at him in high school, but it was Murff, while scouting for the Mets in 1964 and 1965, that said in his scouting report that Nolan Ryan had "the greatest arm that I've ever seen, bar none".

In 1999 I had the opportunity to meet at spend a fair amount of time with Red Murff. I loaned/donated about 83 different items to The Nolan Ryan Center (Ryan Museum) when they first opened in Alvin, Texas. I was asked to attend a pre-Grand Opening of the Ryan Center in April, 1999. While there, I first met Red Murff. He was an unbelievably humble and nice gentleman and we talked baseball and what it was like to scout a young teenage Nolan Ryan. He signed and inscribed a baseball for me, which says:

"I signed Nolan Ryan to his first pro contract in 1965".
I still have it and treasure it as I have been an advanced Ryan collector since he 1st came to the Angels in 1972.

I also connected with Murff at Ryan's 1999 HOF Induction at Cooperstown in July. From time to time, I checked in with Murff.

In 2008, I had a great friend of mine from Milwaukee send me a candid dugout shot of Murff and Bob Trowbridge from 1957. I sent it and a full ticket from Nolan Ryan's 300th win to Red Murff asking if he would be willing to sign them for me. Within a week I received an envelope back with a note from Red's daughter Sara that Red had contracted extreme Parkinsons and she sent back what I am quite certain were his last attempts at a signature.
Moments like these are extremely bittersweet, to say the least...
Red Murff passed away in 2008.

I also have included a picture of Red's great signature when his health was better and he was on his game.

RIP Red
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Murff.jpg (68.5 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-15-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:54 PM

It is almost impossible to know if something signed is truly the last autograph ever. Non-baseball related, I remember a few years ago the album Signed by John Lennon for Mark Chapman was auctioned off. That would be an item that could be documented as a last autograph.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Sean Brennan

my dad sent in to Donnie Moore before he killed himself and got a note about two months after from Moore's lawyer alng with the unsigned cards saying they were found on his nightstand. yikes
Old 09-15-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
It is almost impossible to know if something signed is truly the last autograph ever. Non-baseball related, I remember a few years ago the album Signed by John Lennon for Mark Chapman was auctioned off. That would be an item that could be documented as a last autograph.
No, that wasn't John's last autograph. The album was signed on his way to the recording studio. Just as he left the studio, he signed for one of the employees.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
No, that wasn't John's last autograph. The album was signed on his way to the recording studio. Just as he left the studio, he signed for one of the employees.
Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected. Personally, I would have a hard time purchasing that album with all the elements that is connected with it.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

I started an All American Girls Professional Baseball Project about 3 years back. This was the funnest project I ever did. The items and letters I received back are priceless. Unfortunately a lot of these ladies are in advanced age. I received a lot of letters from family members saying they were ill and unable to sign. I also received some copies of obituaries back from some players I missed. I believe I got some that were among the last. I've included a few replies I got back. If you want to start a project like this, you better get to it because we are losing these wonderful ladies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg betty yahr.jpg (66.9 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg mary mccarty.jpg (67.6 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg nancy deshone.jpg (77.0 KB, 134 views)
Old 09-16-2012, 08:42 AM

Default JimStinson

Not Baseball related but thought I'd share this anyway , Back in the 1980's I would write to various celebrities mostly sports and include two 3x5's and a SASE.
In mid November 1986 I sent a letter to Desi Arnaz. On December 2nd 1986 I heard on the news that he had passed away they Played alot of clips from "I Love Lucy" etc.
About two days later I was checking my mail and there in my mailbox is a letter with Arnaz name and return address and inside were the two signed 3x5index cards I sent to him
Old 09-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Many, many years ago I purchased a Nig Clarke signed GPC that was postmarked the day before he died. I always thought it had a chance of being among the last ones he signed. Then a year or so ago, I purchased another signed Nig Clarke GPC that happened to have been postmarked the day after he died. That realization was quite spooky. You just never know.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

I also got this Dante Lavelli back in the mail. It came back with a memorial card. It also has "One of the last ones he autographed" written on the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dante lavelli 1.jpg (76.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg dante lavelli 2.jpg (69.1 KB, 70 views)