NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Default SGC - Customer Service to the Max

Posted By: Phil Garry

I made a trip out to SGC this morning to pick up a grading order which was completed two days ahead of the stated turn around time. I also brought a high-end card with me to have them grade it using their fastest available service. While I enjoyed reading an old Leland's Auction Catalogue in their nice air-conditioned lobby, my card was graded and returned in what seemed like minutes as I only got to page 58 in the catalogue before I was on my way home. As several board members mentioned previously, Brian, Glyn & Michael do a phenomenal job at SGC!!!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...for their customer service. But I sure wish they'd land a reputable autograph authenticator.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

that they graded a card while you waited, and you hadn't made an appt with them for that beforehand?
If so, that's amazing stuff!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott T

I have always had good luck with SGC and highly recommend them.

Scott

Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

I had a terrible experience the first and only time I called SGC. I repeatedly hear great things on this forum about them so I'll give them another shot and if it goes well, chalk the first call up to someone having a bad day.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Tim - I also had a bad first CSR experience with SGC, but since then they have been first class. Give them another shot.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

they are first-class all the way!

i highly recommend SGC.

M.Sarno

Old 07-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Larson

I'm not sure I would ever take advantage of on site grading since I live in Milwaukee, so good CS for locals would be the point? Anyway, good to hear positive stories. Now if just one person could find the courage to post something good here about PSA, we'd live in a perfect world, lol. I am, however, not that brave.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish387t

SGC is top notch all the way. Never any problems and they get my cards back fast which is very important to me. The customer service and quality control is exceptional.

Someone posted that we should say something nice about PSA. Well......they increased their fees and do not give you a set time frame for when you will get your cards. Hmmm..... That does not make sense to me.....Could not think of a +

Old 07-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Larson

Haha, you're name made me laugh. I knew my post would "reel them in." Here, I'll help: People have been getting subs back in less time than the stated turnaround time. That's a fact, lol. I'll stop now, I just hate bias.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

"Someone posted that we should say something nice about PSA. Well......they increased their fees and do not give you a set time frame for when you will get your cards. Hmmm..... That does not make sense to me.....Could not think of a +"

Well said. That about sums it up in a nutshell...

Tony

Old 07-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish387t

I am a small fish in a rather large pond. My opinion means not a whole hell of alot. I just prefer SGC. There are alot of people out there who prefer PSA. So there is balance. You were fishing for a comment with the post and you got one. Have a great holiday weekend!!

Edit for poor spelling

Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

-------
"Someone posted that we should say something nice about PSA. Well......they increased their fees and do not give you a set time frame for when you will get your cards. Hmmm..... That does not make sense to me.....Could not think of a +"

Well said. That about sums it up in a nutshell...
-------

you guys are too much.

up until recently I was strictly SGC, but I reluctantly joined PSA and started using their services as well (PSA had more of a following in the cards I was interested in).

I have to say - PSA has been pretty awesome.
Customer service has been great through emails and at shows.
Their service has been on time and accurate (yes accurate).
In short - after the stories here - I was pleasantly surprised and couldn't ask for more.

I don't think you need to look too far to find a plus:
.... their registry is superior to any grading company's registry. The scope of their registry is quite simply - - unmatched.

As far as a personal preference....
I prefer the size and stackability of their slabs.

Don't get me wrong.... the guys at SGC are great and their service is great as well.

I just think the PSA bashing gets a bit overdone.

edit to say: my 'you guys' reference was not meant to single out the people I quoted. 'You guys' honestly meant to refer to Net54'ers in general (just a general statement).

Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Toby- you are not a small fish, you are a bigfish!

And nobody has nicer things to say about SGC than I do. They are a terrific company.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

I'm in the process of putting together another order with SGC. I will give PSA some props. Their revamp on of their registry is awesome.

If SGC would let me upload and display larger higher resolution photos. I'd have them even for what I use them for.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

There used to be a big debate on and off among card collectors a short while back about how grading companies can not show favorites to larger dealers etc. The argument from the grading companies was always that cards were submitted anonymously and so no favorites could be played. I am not saying anything happened with Phil or SGC since I know nothing of the card or the grade, but I wonder. Is that argument completely irrelevant now? If not, this would seem to point to the veiled anonymity of grading companies being completely thrown out the window if they will grade a card you hand them while you wait.

I am just curious if this is even an issue anymore?

Old 07-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Rhys,

The individual(s) who take the card from you are not the actual graders.
Those individuals hand the card off to the grader.

You can have anonymity and still receive 'while you wait' service.

I've received this type of service at SGCs headquarters and at card shows....
and in no instance have I ever actually seen or talked to the actual grader.

SGC handles this situation really well.

Since I do not live near PSA and have never had on-site grading from them.... I can't comment on whether or not they are being that careful.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

"If SGC would let me upload and display larger higher resolution photos. I'd have them even for what I use them for."

Just this past week SGC upgraded the scan quality for the registry photo's. You can now also clicked on individual card pictures and keep as many open as you wish, while you cycle through the set photo's. With this improvement, I think their registry is hands down better from a visual standpoint, certainly not from a competion standpoint.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Mike - do you need to re-upload your images to get the improved resolution?

Old 07-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

"Mike - do you need to re-upload your images to get the improved resolution?"

No

Old 07-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

fantastic!

Old 07-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

being completely thrown out the window if they will grade a card you hand them while you wait.

Hmmm, ever use these grading companies and have a card graded at a show?

Isn't that about the same thing then?

I see no problem with someone walking in and having a card graded.

Steve

Old 07-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

I stand corrected. I noticed SGC's registry upgrade and now its on me to get some better scans for it.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

As much as the PSA bashing gets kind of old so does saying so......It seems like it's always the same old people....."PSA always gets bashed for no reason...wah wah wah..."
....As someone said in the trailer park trash thread....They get just about exactly what they deserve...Some good and some not so good....and likewise with SGC....they get a few unpleasant comments and more overwhelmingly good ones....The public is funny that way...

edited to add....Joe- you were the last man in with the anti anti-PSA comment...it was the ones before you that really instigated the response I made....it seems like it's so expected when a thread like this starts