NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Default Gai vs. PSA

Posted By: Henry

Which company would yall say is a harder grade specifically do you think a 5.5 Gai would crossover to a PSA 6 or 5? I ask this because I have a GAI 5.5 t206 which I want to crossover. How do you crack Gai cases also?

Thanks, Henry

Old 11-06-2005, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Default Gai vs. PSA

Posted By: scott ingold

When it comes to t206's GAI is much stricter than psa. I have many if not all of mine in gai holders and most were one grade higher in there past psa slabs. You can get a pretty good idea by following ebay and looking at the good scans of each closely.

I will end this by also saying that this is the only set of cards that i have noticed this with across the board....but than again i really only deal with the t206 set at this time. From what i've seen PSA is tougher on the goudey's and Playballs in my limited experiance with them.

I know people will disagree but then again these are grading co's we are talking about. I would expect no less.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Default Gai vs. PSA

Posted By: John J. Grillo

You'll get so many varied responses, so my guess it's all in the eye of the beholder as to which you feel is the toughest. My answer is that if you like graded, all 3 are reputable companies, and the T206s display nicely in all three.

As how to crack a slab, here's what I do and this applies to any graded slab and not just GAI. Using a hacksaw, saw across the slab, halfway between the label. Once completed, take a thin, flat-screwdriver and slowly insert tip into slab and gently pop the lid open, working the right side and left side of the slab. When it's loose enough, pry the lid open with your hands.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Default Gai vs. PSA

Posted By: Scot

Send the card in the GAI holder to PSA on a crossover with a minimum grade. This way if it doesn't crossover to the grade you want you still have the GAI grade and only out $12.00 plus shipping.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Default Gai vs. PSA

Posted By: scott ingold

cards in gai holders going to psa MUST be cracked in my experiance.Otherwise it will come back evtrim.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Default Gai vs. PSA

Posted By: cmoking

My experience is the same as Scott's. And I've heard many others with the same experience. PSA should be blasted for this unofficial policy - it is bull-bleep. Why bother taking in GAI cards for crossover if they know 95% of the cards will be rejected for evid of trimm? PSA is crapping on their customers...they should just say "No GAI Crossovers" instead of playing the charade.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Default Gai vs. PSA

Posted By: Charlie Barokas

I agree, there is a tremendous amount of bad blood between GAI and PSA. I would crack the GAI cards out and send them into PSA raw but keep the GAI label and if rejected by PSA send both the Label and the card back to GAI and they will reholder it. It must be the same card not altered etc.. SGC has crossed many of our GAI cards, they don't seem to have a personal vendetta against GAI. More and more I believe GAI is commanding more respect in there pre-war grades therefore I would not be in such a hurry to crack out a favorable grade. Commons and high grade 50's and 60's still are more valuable in a PSA holder.

Charlie

Old 11-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Default Gai vs. PSA

Posted By: Dan Koteles

they do not miss a whole lot, of recent, maybe the most consistent. PSA ,lucky for many has been grading everything.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Default Gai vs. PSA

Posted By: Anson

I have had no trouble crossing over GAI or PSA cards to SGC. I feel their assigned grades are fair with no personal interests affecting their decision. GAI has also been consistent with the few dealings I've had with them.

I really haven't sent anything off to PSA in a long time so I can't say one way or another.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Default Gai vs. PSA

Posted By: JimB

PSA will certainly NOT give a card a bump up in grade when you cross it over. That, you can be sure of. If you send it in raw, that is another question; then it will be done on the merits of the card. I have tried to crossover about 7 or 8 cards and two have crossed.
JimB

Old 11-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Default Gai vs. PSA

Posted By: David Vargha

cards in gai holders going to psa MUST be cracked in my experiance.Otherwise it will come back evtrim.

I've heard this from other collectors, but my own limited experience in GAI to PSA crossovers is a successful 3 for 3 with exactly the same grade on all three without cracking them out.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 11-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Default Gai vs. PSA

Posted By: tbob

Agree 100% with Dan. GAI has been very consistent lately although they are just as tough on caramels as SGC generally. PSA seems to be upgrading a lot of their formerly graded cards on resubmission. maybe it is just the submitters but I have seen a lot of PSA cards purchased, cracked out, resubmitted, and coming back with higher grades. If you follow certain series' on ebay, you will also.