NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-20-2017, 07:23 AM
Kyle May

Indians need bullpen help and a bat. Rumors are they are scouting Eduardo Nunez, who killed them in SF this week.

I'd LOVE to see them go after Britton, but have no idea what the asking price is. I'd also like to see them try to deal for Marcell Ozuna and JT Realmuto or the Braves' Catcher.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Question for Pirates fans...

Is your organization still interested in moving McCutchen? Would they be interested in trading Cole and McCutchen to my Indians?
I have not heard any rumors about Cole lately, although, I think we all know that if he isn't traded at some point, he's gone when his contract is up.

As for McCutchen, I'm not so sure that they can sell that one to the fan base (or his teammates) now. Last offseason, maybe. They're still in the thick of a pennant race in a seemingly winnable division, they just got Marte back, and Cutch has been on fire for two months, not to mention he's the face of the franchise, and a great guy.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Dave

I am a little annoyed by the recent Sports reporting narrative which seems to constantly drive home the idea that all pro teams need to either be sure they're going to win it all, or race as fast to the bottom as they can in order to rebuild.

Hell, I keep on reading how Lebron should just leave Cleveland again because there's no way the Cavaliers can surround him with enough pieces to beat Golden State. Ridiculous!

Yeah, like 30 other teams and every player on each one of those teams should feel the same way.....
Old 07-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Kyle May

Indians are interested in Jay Bruce. That would help bolster the lineup, and I don't think it would cost an arm and a leg.

Edit: Bruce isn't in the lineup today for the Mets. Is that correct? Can someone confirm? Any news on this from Mets fans? Day off, matchup lineup, or is he being moved?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 07-20-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Indians are interested in Jay Bruce. That would help bolster the lineup, and I don't think it would cost an arm and a leg.

Edit: Bruce isn't in the lineup today for the Mets. Is that correct? Can someone confirm? Any news on this from Mets fans? Day off, matchup lineup, or is he being moved?
Bruce was not in the lineup today.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Scott Ti3k

Cardinals & Mariners swap prospects.

"The Mariners have acquired left-hander Marco Gonzales from the Cardinals in exchange for minor league outfielder Tyler O’Neill, as per a Mariners press release."

Gonzales is a former first round pick in 2013 & coming off Tommy John Surgery. Has showed some good stuff when healthy.

O'Niell gives the Cardinals something they don't have in the system, a legit power bat. Love the power but looking at the low average & high strike outs has me worried he could just be Randal Grichuk 2.0. Would love to hear what those who know more about O'Niell think of him.

Some of the local sprorts guys (newspaper & radio) are thinking this might be part of another deal in the works because the Cardinals were already pretty deep in the outfield. A lot of then are saying (wishing) the Cardinals would put together a package to send to the Marlins for Stanton.

Speaking of Randal they just added him back to the 25 man roster and also added Zach Duke & re-called Carson Kelly. Excited to see how Kelly does this year as he is the heir apparent to Yodier Molina.

Last edited by cardsfan73; 07-21-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:28 PM
Kyle May

Royals just added Cahill, Maurer, Buchter from the Padres.

Twins Garcia trade went through today.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 07-24-2017, 06:14 PM

They keep circulating the rumor that the Yankees might be interested in Stanton. I admit the thought of a Stanton / Judge line up is nuts but I would have to think the price would be steep. Plus you take on all that owed money.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:46 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I yawned about the Royals trade. However, this is their M.O. SP goes 5 innings, then the pen takes over. This approach may work for a year or two, but the pen is heavily taxed. A huge problem for KC is they don't have much in the farm to trade. So a big splash isn't likely to happen. KC needs to reel off a 15 game winning streak and get out of this 2 or 3 game behind the division leader, or tied up in a wildcard race. I believe they need to be sellers. NY would pay handsomely for Hosmer. Frazier in N.Y. is a huge mistake by Cashman in what was given up.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 07-24-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:02 AM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
I yawned about the Royals trade. However, this is their M.O. SP goes 5 innings, then the pen takes over. This approach may work for a year or two, but the pen is heavily taxed. A huge problem for KC is they don't have much in the farm to trade. So a big splash isn't likely to happen. KC needs to reel off a 15 game winning streak and get out of this 2 or 3 game behind the division leader, or tied up in a wildcard race. I believe they need to be sellers. NY would pay handsomely for Hosmer. Frazier in N.Y. is a huge mistake by Cashman in what was given up.
I think they are hoping they can get one last run before they lose all the free agents. I wish them luck and I wouldn't mind seeing another World Series coming to the state of Missouri!

I understand your feeling about wanting them to be sellers. I feel the same way about the Cardinals this year. So many fans & local sports talking heads think this team still has a chance at the playoffs and I just don't see it. There are just so many flaws with the roster. Even if we could trade for the big bat we need (every one here wants Stanton, Stanton doesn't want us from reports I read!) that does not fix the horrible team defense and the miserable bullpen. I say sell the pending free agents for some prospects and pray that someone would be willing to take Matt Carpenter and his contract off your hands. Re-tool and bring up some of the kids. I have been watching Cardinal baseball since 1981 and other than the last few years that the brewery owned the team (and didn't give a rats ass about it) this is the worst Cardinal team I have ever seen.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:33 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I would love another I-70 Series!

The Front Office wants to keep the guys together for one last gig.

What I believe is going to happen is the team will stay close and just miss the post season. KC will end up with NOTHING, and should cost Dayton Moore his job. Post Series, he's been a terrible GM. Prior to, he was excellent. He never should have signed Gordon to what amounts to a lifetime contract, and the biggest mistake now is overestimating the team. This will set them back 10 years.

Some players on the team have tremendous value now, and rebuilding the farm is opportune right now. The White Sox have done this.

The Cards should sell too.

And you couldn't pay me to take Stanton. The Fish don't want him either, and they're the ones who signed him to that crazy contract.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:40 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
I would love another I-70 Series!

The Front Office wants to keep the guys together for one last gig.

What I believe is going to happen is the team will stay close and just miss the post season. KC will end up with NOTHING, and should cost Dayton Moore his job. Post Series, he's been a terrible GM. Prior to, he was excellent. He never should have signed Gordon to what amounts to a lifetime contract, and the biggest mistake now is overestimating the team. This will set them back 10 years.

Some players on the team have tremendous value now, and rebuilding the farm is opportune right now. The White Sox have done this.

The Cards should sell too.

And you couldn't pay me to take Stanton. The Fish don't want him either, and they're the ones who signed him to that crazy contract.
Hey, at least you guys won after your trade. The Twins trade a pitching prospect, and proceed to lose, dropping 3.5 back of my Tribe. Haha.

In response to the bold part, the Fish are literally using Stanton to keep the value of the team inflated. And really, it's not a bad squad. They are a couple players away from making a real run at the playoffs, if not the World Series. But they have the worst owner in sports.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 07-26-2017, 09:04 AM
Kyle May

Red Sox acquired Eduardo Nunez.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 07-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I was surprised at the trade. Devers is better than anyone the Sox could have picked up. Let the kid play.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:57 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
I was surprised at the trade. Devers is better than anyone the Sox could have picked up. Let the kid play.
Nunez seems like an insurance policy in case Devers doesn't produce at the Major League level.

And hey, KCRfan1, would your team end their 7 game winning streak already? I'm trying to put some games into you, but it's hard when we have a 5 game winning streak and you have a 7. Haha.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 07-26-2017, 05:08 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

No.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:51 AM
Kyle May

Twins are rumored to have become sellers, and are possibly looking to move Jaime Garcia and Ervin Santana.

Royals are rumored to be interested in Francisco Liriano.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 07-31-2017, 01:13 PM

Yankees traded for Gray. Really bummed. They gave up 2 injured prospects and Jorge Mateo, but I think Dustin Fowler and James Kapreilian will bounce back and be pretty good.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:23 PM
Scott Ti3k

Yankees loaded up and are making a run. They beefed up the rotation and still have plenty of good young talent on the major league team and in the minors.

Not a Yankee fan but I would say they have done the most to improve their team since the All-Star break.

Dodgers look strong as long as Kershaw can get healthy for the playoffs. Adding Darvish gives them a solid #2 behind Kershaw and they added to their bullpen. Could be tough to beat. Rumor has it Darvish will re-sign with the Rangers in the off season.. Kind of similar to what happened last year w/ Chapman & the Yankees.

The Nationals over hauled their bullpen which they needed to do, but they still don't have anyone that scares me, that shut down type guy. Is their bullpen better than it was before the all star break? Yes, but I still don't know if it's good enough.

Diamondbacks made their big move early and so far J.D. Matinez is looking like a great fit for them.

Rockies add Lucroy who has been miserable this year but maybe his bat wakes up at Coors.

Mets get A.J. Ramos and ship Addison Reed to the Red Sox (Fantasy team lost a closer out of this, I fear a trend is starting)

Cubs get a nice piece Justin Wilson (and I lost another closer on my fantasy team..damn you Cubs.) and depth at catcher w/ Alex Avilla. Maybe now they have a back up catcher who won't cry about pitchers not holding runners..

Royals look they are going to give it one last run before they go into rebuild mode. Adding Cahill & Mauer were nice moves and Melky isn't a bad player either. Good luck Royals, bring another World Series title back to Missouri!

Astros get Liriano from the Jays and from what I understand they are going to put him in the bullpen. Interesting.

Kind of shocked the Indians didn't do much.

My Cardinals? Did nothing but I am fine with that if they didn't get any offers for Lynn, OH & others that felt were worth it. I am just glad we didn't give up any of the kids for a rental or even a key player that could help. There are just to many problems with this team & I feel like it's going to be a few years before they are a playoff contender again.

So how do you all feel about moves your team did or didn't make?
Old 07-31-2017, 06:29 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Yankees traded for Gray. Really bummed. They gave up 2 injured prospects and Jorge Mateo, but I think Dustin Fowler and James Kapreilian will bounce back and be pretty good.
As a Yankee fan, I don't mind the Gray trade, but I hated the Jaime Garcia pickup. They gave up two nice minor league arms for a mediocre rental. Littell was a young arm putting up some impressive numbers in the minors.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:39 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
As a Yankee fan, I don't mind the Gray trade, but I hated the Jaime Garcia pickup. They gave up two nice minor league arms for a mediocre rental. Littell was a young arm putting up some impressive numbers in the minors.

Have fun w/ Jaime! He will frustrate the hell out of you!! I don't know how many times I watched him pitch 4-5 innings of dominant baseball and then implode around the 6th. Probably the reason he has been traded 3 times since December of last year!

I still think your Yankees can make a real run at it this year!!
Old 07-31-2017, 10:41 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

KC should have been sellers, now they'll get nothing when Hosmer and Moose leave. Add in Vargas, and KC could have rebuilt a depleted farm system.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 07-31-2017 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Auto correct
Old 08-01-2017, 07:13 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan73 View Post
Kind of shocked the Indians didn't do much.

So how do you all feel about moves your team did or didn't make?
The market was stupid this year. The Indians tried to do something, but Darvish wouldn't waive his no trade clause to Cleveland. Zach Britton's price tag was an arm, leg, and a right nut, while Brad Hand's price tag was the other arm, other leg, and a left nut.

Joe Smith is putting up some very solid numbers this year, the best of his career. We loved him when he was in Cleveland before, and are glad to be getting him back. He helps bolster the pen from a RH standpoint, and spells Shaw from appearing as much (thank goodness; hate Shaw). He's also married to Allie LaForce, a local sports sideline reporter who went national with CBS. She's gorgeous and a nice consolation prize since the Tigers took Kate Upton... errr... Justin Verlander off the market.

The Tribe will be more active during the waiver trading period. They would like to add a LH arm in the pen I'd assume, and a bench bat.

The Dodgers made a lot of moves, but did they really get better? Darvish is having a pretty sub-par year, and the two lefties they got have quite a few flaws.

The Yankees won the day with the Gray trade. We'll see how their lineup holds up the rest of the season.

The Royals made some sneaky good moves recently, but I do think they should have sold - unless there is some confirmation that maybe these guys might stay.

I'm surprised the Pirates didn't move more pieces like Cutch or Cole.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty uneventful trade deadline.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 08-01-2017, 10:50 AM
Dave

Quote:
Have fun w/ Jaime! He will frustrate the hell out of you!! I don't know how many times I watched him pitch 4-5 innings of dominant baseball and then implode around the 6th. Probably the reason he has been traded 3 times since December of last year!

I still think your Yankees can make a real run at it this year!!

I'm guessing they took that into consideration when they traded for him. Yankees really only need their starters to go 5 innings or so (sometimes less), with the bullpen they've put together.

I also wonder if they might have backed off in acquiring him if they had made the Sonny Gray trade earlier.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I'm guessing they took that into consideration when they traded for him. Yankees really only need their starters to go 5 innings or so (sometimes less), with the bullpen they've put together.

I also wonder if they might have backed off in acquiring him if they had made the Sonny Gray trade earlier.
Very valid point on the 5 inning thing, The Yankees have one hell of a bullpen!
Old 08-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:

The Dodgers made a lot of moves, but did they really get better? Darvish is having a pretty sub-par year, and the two lefties they got have quite a few flaws.
Darvish is 18th in starter fWAR and striking out nearly 10/ 9 innings. I wish my pitchers could have such subpar years!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Kyle May

Indians acquire Jay Bruce for Low A Ball pitching prospect Ryder Ryan.

Helluva move by the Tribe.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 08-09-2017, 10:24 PM
Scott Ti3k

After all my negative post about the Cardinals and their sloppy play this year, stating they have no chance to make the playoffs....

Tonight our season was saved, tonight we had the Rally Cat!!

In 2011 the Rally Squirrel appeared twice in the Division Series and we went on to win it all!

Tonight the Cardinals were down 5-4 with Yadier Molina at the plate and the bases loaded.. All the sudden a cat ran out on the field and caused a delay in the game. When play resumed Yadi hit the first pitch into the stands for a Grand Slam and the Cards hung on for the win.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...9a08e4b7e.html
Old 08-09-2017, 11:06 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Default KC falling apart

Scott,

EVERY restaurant on the Hill needs to send a pan of lasagna to Kaufman Stadium addressed to Dayton Moore, as a note of " Thanks " for his doing little to improve KC for a playoff run.

Our play has helped the Cards back into some contention, and is putting KC out of the picture.

The Royals should have been sellers, but the Brass wanted to keep the band together for one last show. Instead of selling, I don't see KC making the playoffs and will be left with nothing come FA time. KC could have rebuilt their farm system, but grossly overestimated the team instead. Now, KC is set a good 5 years back, and that's assuming their draft picks and re-tread ( value as the Brass likes to say ) players produce. BTW, KC is horrible in evaluating draft talent, or grooming draft picks for the bigs, or both.

This is very frustrating as most other playoff teams made significant moves that KC was not in a position to make. And how Escobar continues to hold the gig at SS is beyond me and most of KC fans.

Gone are the days of 5 innings and let the pen take over. That MO may work a year of two, but is hardly a recipe for long term success.

It's hard to complain after back to back Series appearances, and winning one.

But it's also hard to sit back and watch the team piss away the future like they have done.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:42 AM
Scott Ti3k

Lou,

I still don't think my Cardinals are good enough to make it this year, but they did have a good series against your Royals. The Rally Cat was probably the most enjoyable moment of our season so far. I just think by the end of the season it's going to be the Cubbies in first. Just way to much talent on that team.

To be honest I don't think it matters who wins the NL Central this year, I just don't see any one getting past the Dodgers. I have never seen a team play so great over such a long stretch of time like this.

Good luck to your Royals man, I think they still have a chance!
Old 08-10-2017, 06:28 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Lou,

I still don't think my Cardinals are good enough to make it this year, but they did have a good series against your Royals. The Rally Cat was probably the most enjoyable moment of our season so far. I just think by the end of the season it's going to be the Cubbies in first. Just way to much talent on that team.

To be honest I don't think it matters who wins the NL Central this year, I just don't see any one getting past the Dodgers. I have never seen a team play so great over such a long stretch of time like this.

Good luck to your Royals man, I think they still have a chance!
Unless you were alive in 1912 or 1913, you wouldn't have. The Dodgers are having the best stretch of baseball since the 1912 or 1913 NY Giants.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 08-10-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
After all my negative post about the Cardinals and their sloppy play this year, stating they have no chance to make the playoffs....

Tonight our season was saved, tonight we had the Rally Cat!!

In 2011 the Rally Squirrel appeared twice in the Division Series and we went on to win it all!

Tonight the Cardinals were down 5-4 with Yadier Molina at the plate and the bases loaded.. All the sudden a cat ran out on the field and caused a delay in the game. When play resumed Yadi hit the first pitch into the stands for a Grand Slam and the Cards hung on for the win.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...9a08e4b7e.html

I made the above post as a joke (sometimes sarcasm does not come across on the net) but now the Cardinals are above 500 and only a half game behind the Cubs. This division is horrible, there is no way this lousy Cardinals team should be anywhere close to a Division leader!