NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Default Great Moments in BB History Depicted on BB Cards

Posted By: peter chao

I remember a great 1948 Sports Thrills card with a beaming Lou Gehrig on the front of the card. On the back of the card there was a short description of the day that Lou Gehrig hit 4 home runs in one game.

What's your favorite Vintage card depicting a great moment in BB History?

Peter C.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ItsOnlyGil

I recently purchased a Marshall & Ball Clothier's trade card from a fellow board member which shows a rather dejected ballplayer leaning over his bat with his hand up to his mouth as if (to me) wondering. The title of the card is "A Heavy Hit"
I use it to depict the Chicago White Stockings 1877 season - in which they set the still standing record for home run hitting futility; with a team season production of zero home runs.

Edited to add:
As a side note, the Chicago White Stockings, seven years later set the record for home run hitting success with a team season production which was not broken for 43 years (until the 1927 Yankees).

Old 09-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Here it is. It's actually a post-war card:

Old 09-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

How about the key card in the '48 Sports Thrills set, the one with Ruth crossing home plate after his called shot. Gehrig is near home plate to congratulate him. Do you have that card also?

Peter C.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Sorry Peter, this is my only Sports Thrills. I bought it because at the time I needed a Gehrig in my collection.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gil

Ruth never did that. Neither did Aaron, Bonds, nor Williams ever hit 4 hrs in a game. Foxx, Greenberg, Ott, and most other sluggers also never achieved this accomplishment. But Pat Seerey did. And I like his Leaf card among the other much more noteworthy players who did get 4hrs/gm.

Pat was a player who every time he strode to the plate, he thought he was the Babe. And his perpetual swinging for the seats netted him many season strikeout records eventhough he typically didn't play a full season (because his batting average was continually flirting with the Mendoza line).

But Pat Seerey did get his day in the sun, it was an extra inning game, but it also was a four homer game. And this too, I commemorate with his Leaf card - right alongside of that of Gil Hodges, Ed Delahanty, Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays, and the others.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I have 5 of those Sports Thrills cards, none of them in very great shape. This one is my favorite. Card #9, Al Gionfriddo's Catch. There's great video of the catch, showing Joe DiMaggio hitting the ball down the left field line in the bottom of the 6th inning in game 6 of the 1947 World Series, between the Yankees and the Dodgers. Yogi Berra had singled just before DiMaggio batted, Stirnweiss had walked earlier, 2 on, 2 out. DiMaggio at the plate... The video shows the catch, then shows DiMaggio rounding 2nd and as the catch is made Joe kicks at the infield dirt..

Up to this point in time Gionfriddo's catch was considered the greatest in World Series play.

Gionfriddo had walked and scored on Cookie Lavagetto's 2 run single in game 4 of the 1947 World Series, scoring on the only hit given up by Bill Bevins of the Yankees. Oddly, Al's catch was made in his last major league game. He didn't play in game 7 (won by the Yankees, 5-2), and he never made another major league roster afterward.

Tough to find Gionfriddo on any baseball card contemporary with when he played.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

I'm sure that most know this, but it's worth mentioning again, in this context. On the day Gehrig hit those four homers, John McGraw retired as manager of the Giants. So Gehrig's feat was pushed from the headlines because of what was considered a bigger story. This, of course, was to be Gehrig's fate throughout his career as he played a large part of it in the rather large shadow of George Herman Ruth.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Old 10-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Since it's World Series time, are there any more vintage cards depicting World Series heroics?

Peter C.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Am I wrong or is that photo on the baseball Hi-Lites card not actually from the Merkle's Boner game? Also, it looks like the date at the top is 1928 instead of 1908.

Howard