NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Default Colgan's Wagner - hard to believe

Posted By: steve

One particular ebay lot this past weekend really struck me as odd. It was item #170092678593 - 1909 Colgan's Chip, Honus Wagner, VG-EX, CTA 4. First it ended WELL over what I thought - final bid $852.66. Secondly, the reserve was not met !!! I, myself picked up this exact card in PSA 8 last fall for around $1300. If you extrapolate down to a "4", the price last fall would have been approx. $300-350. - about what I thout it would go for now. Scratch my head on this one, Steve.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

I think $1300 for a PSA 8 would be a steal today. You should not use that figure to extrapolate.

I think that a clean 4 would go in the 700-800 range today. That one was not a nice 4.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I know the seller...the auction was definitely legit. The Wagner from this auction was overgraded and probably would only translate to a PSA 2 or SGC 30 at best. But how often is a Colgan's Wagner auctioned? These cards are difficult (and Wagners are probably easier to find than most of the others). I have few on my want list that I have not even seen in Fritsch's catalog in the last three years. It is probably only a matter of time before Colgan's command the same prices as other contemporary issues.

With that said I thought that this Wagner would have finished around $500 to $600 and was also surprised at the end price.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I paid $600 for it last December in SGC 60. Nice card.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator

OK. Everytime I see a nice vintage card, I pull out the good 'ol SMR. Why does PSA put out such worthless values on vintage stuff - its a total joke to refer to SMR for cards like this. It appears as if nice Colgan's have started to appreciate significantly - problem is finding them. Then there are the even more rare Colgan's Tin Tops - check PSA pop #'s - super ultra rare!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Another blow me away price on a Colgan's Wagner. This time right here on the Buy/Sell area - A colgan's Wagner SGC good "2" with tape on back for $600. !!! My oh, my, big price. Would a Cobb fetch the same, higher or lower? Steve.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Just another hobby revelation...Colgan's, while not difficult at the level of E107's, are certainly not easy to obtain. I have piecing together a set for the last 12 years. At any given time on eBay there may be 500+ T206's listed and not a single Colgan's available. Within the E254's (not even considering the E270 reds, E270 tin-tops, or "series of 208") there are also many cards that are difficult compared to others. I would love to compare lists of tougher Colgan's with other collectors.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

There sure are a lot of different levels of scarcity withing Colgan's. Some like the Wagner are relatively easy, while others are never seen. I wonder over how many years they were actually issued.