NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Default T206 - Original ATC Ledger?

Posted By: Trae R.

(Thanks Jon Canfield!)

Jon sent me this in an email.
He said thinks it originally came from Terry Knouse.
I'd like to know what, if any, information you all hold on this particular letter?
This is all new news to me that such an item even exists.

Thanks!

Edited to adjust image size...

Old 01-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

That's huge. It looks genuine to me. 2 cards per box of cigs for Philly region!

Old 01-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

I saw some of those at tik and tik's table at a national probably in 95'. He had carolina brights...among others and told me they were from the ATC ledger. He said he had had some of the rarer backed ones but they'd sold. They were relatively inexpensive at the time 2-300 each. There was also a letter at that national at one of the bigger auction houses which was a letter from uzit cigs to ATC I believe with 4 sample uzit cards attached to the letter. I think it was 2K and I thought that was outlandish!

pete ullman

Old 01-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Hornish

This thread just jogged my memory-I was contacted a few years ago via e-mail by someone with ATT shipping records for T206 cards (I think it was T206, it was certainly one of the big T sets). I'm searching for printouts of the e-mails or on my AOL archive (which is minimal unfortunately). He had some specific details that were interesting.

While looking for that e-mail though I came across a May 2003 e-mail from Bob Forbes, co-author of American Tobacco Cards. There was a lot of content, some unrelated to T206 but the T206 stuff is worth sharing:

"Fcctory Numbers-were listed on cards from around 1905 (+/- a year or two) to sometime into the early 1930's. I believe this was in response to some kind of Federal Govt mandate....

RE Overprints-based on govt reg theory-the cards were produced at a central location (ATC Trust Premium dept)-backs were printed according to the amount needed at each factory. Due to shifts in production of a brand (many were produced at more than one factory) or oversupply of particular factory backs, some cards were overprinted to change factory numbers. I don't believe any of the factories were involved in printing their own backs-at best this would have been contracted out locally to a printing firm."

Old 01-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Administrator

I know, pretty weak responding to my own message! A quick Google search found this when I entered the phrase "American Tobacco Company Trust Premium Depratment":

http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FJEH%2FJEH66_01%2FS00220507060 00027a.pdf&code=9c80cfcc837be8279ea5704c1f57a0b3

Old 01-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Dang, that's a PDF and the url won't work. The article title is: The Whig Fable of American Tobacco 1985-1913 by Leslie Hannah. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I first saw Terry with this ledger (really only a partial ledger at the time) at a Hollywood Park Show. He had just gotten it and was asking around. If memory serves, he had some really unique items including some Carolina Brights, Broadleaf, Tolstoi, and a few others. Many of the cards had notations either on them or around them. Some had the initial cross-hatch marks of printer proofs as well. Most had notes on the sides about the player and the pose, team, etc. I always wondered what happened to the ledger. I guess it was split up and bought. I always regretted I was a just a poor student teacher at the time because the pages were being offered for somewhere around $200-$250 for commons and higher for stars (and yes, I distincly remember a Collins and Lajoie, probably others).

Hope this helps...contact Terry Knouse, he may know more than anyone about this ledger.

Joshua

Old 01-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

That is a wonderful item.

ANYONE else on here have such stuff???