NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Tony

Default Auction Card Quality - General Question

Let me start by saying I'm a new (old) collector so my online auction experience is virtually none.

I won an raw card auction lot online not to long ago and was a little disappointed on the overall quality of cards in the lot. Please understand I didn't break the bank and this wasn't a huge focus. I thought at the time I got a pretty good deal. I just wanted to test the auction waters for prices, quality, and get the adrenaline rush.

If an auction gives and approximate grade on ungraded cards, how do you perceive that grade? Do you knock it down a notch and bid accordingly? Do you expect the couple quality cards in that lot to be the approximate grade and write of the rest as maybe you'll get lucky?
Old 11-10-2016, 05:30 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I usually buy cards with clear scans. On ebay you can return it for item not as described. next time, ask the auctionhouse for clearer scans sent to your email.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:57 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Hi Tony,

First off welcome to the board! As you can imagine, everyone judges condition differently and all auction houses are not created equally. Personally, I find some auction houses are spot on and exactly how I would grade, others are "generous" with their grading standards. So it really depends on the individual auction house and how much you are willing to trust them and their grading standards.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 11-10-2016, 07:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Hey Tony,
Perhaps you don't want to 'out' anybody, but it would be helpful to most people reading this thread if you provided us with a link to the auction and then stated what the card actually ended up looking like (what the 'problems' were), so we could get a better feel of whether or not there were deceptive practices at work in that particular auction.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:54 PM
Eric Bea.chley

I was actually thinking about posting the very same thing. For someone like REA, when they say 18-21% Ex or better, 25-32% VG to VG-EX, 12-16% G, the rest worse with some trimmed, how spot on do you think they are. I know scans would help but I tend to buy larger lots where this is impractical.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:03 PM
Tony

That's for the reponses. Not trying to call attention to anything yet. I don't think there are deceptive practices going on and I don't feel cheated so this is more for my own knowledge and hopefully for others as well. But...
If, for example you won an early 60's "Ex 5" lot, would you expect obvious wrinkles, spider lines, and or wax on the face of the card(s)? Things not visible by scan but very obvious in hand.

I would expect soft corners, off centering and some small dings overall.

Just want to make sure I'm looking at things the right way.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunzio11 View Post
That's for the reponses. Not trying to call attention to anything yet. I don't think there are deceptive practices going on and I don't feel cheated so this is more for my own knowledge and hopefully for others as well. But...
If, for example you won an early 60's "Ex 5" lot, would you expect obvious wrinkles, spider lines, and or wax on the face of the card(s)? Things not visible by scan but very obvious in hand.

I would expect soft corners, off centering and some small dings overall.

Just want to make sure I'm looking at things the right way.
To be clear this is auction house stuff not eBay. I assume eBay as a crap shoot and buyer beware. As far as auction houses go I guess it can be hit or miss also.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

I've had good luck with Auction houses - but all are certainly not created equal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2016, 10:53 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Is this auction house one that deals mostly with ball cards or one that deals in all kind of items? If it is just a regular auction house that deals in a lot of different items they usually don't have anyone on staff that knows much about cards.
James
Old 11-11-2016, 05:04 AM
Lonnie Nagel

After years of being disappointed on trying to purchase raw NRMT cards and have them come back from a TPG with the same opinion - I am pretty much positive that it is not possible to tell the difference between an EXMT card and NRMT card by simply looking at a scan. Sometimes you get lucky - most times not.

Having said that - I also believe that most collectors - even with card in hand - have a tuff time in evaluating that EXMT/NRMT condition.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:42 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I have a real hard time between 9 and the elusive Gem Mint 10.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I have a real hard time between 9 and the elusive Gem Mint 10.
That is because there isn't a difference.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Sure there is, 1
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-11-2016, 11:10 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Except for the price...