NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Scott, I know it doesn't help your self-described status as an anti-establishment provocateur to admit that fraud occurs in the hobby but it does. That you believe you were not defrauded on four bids hardly suggests that the entire baseball card auction business is clean. You don't need to be an important lawyer to understand such a basic concept. You haven't seen the bidding records of the lots you won or any of the thousands others which have occurred in the past few years. Paranoia has nothing to do with this; greed does. Ask Doug Allen or Josh Evans if they think bidders are run up by auction houses.

Last edited by calvindog; 11-12-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Scott, I know it doesn't help your self-described status as an anti-establishment provocateur to admit that fraud occurs in the hobby but it does. That you believe you were not defrauded on four bids hardly suggests that the entire baseball card auction business is clean. You don't need to be an important lawyer to understand such a basic concept. You haven't seen the bidding records of the lots you won or any of the thousands others which have occurred in the past few years. Paranoia has nothing to do with this; greed does. Ask Doug Allen or Josh Evans if they think bidders are run up by auction houses.
Calvin, there's no need to patronize me, or make me the subject of your witty enjoinders. I don't know you from Adam, and your responses in this thread certainly haven't impressed me, either with your intelligence, knowledge or your status in the hobby.

Have a good day.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Calvin, there's no need to patronize me, or make me the subject of your witty enjoinders. I don't know you from Adam, and your responses in this thread certainly haven't impressed me, either with your intelligence, knowledge or your status in the hobby.

Have a good day.
Scott, I'm not here to impress you -- especially since you are completely ignorant on this issue and seemingly proud of it. Suffice it to say I have direct knowledge of what I'm talking about and you don't. Regarding your intelligence, status, blah blah -- all I can tell you is that just because every time you've ever been inside a bank it hasn't been robbed does not mean that banks have never been robbed. Can you understand that? Or should I use another analogy?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Happens all the time. Not every case is considered as important as a ticking time-bomb terror case.
Does the grand jury get together once a year for coffee?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Scott, I'm not here to impress you -- especially since you are completely ignorant on this issue and seemingly proud of it. Suffice it to say I have direct knowledge of what I'm talking about and you don't. Regarding your intelligence, status, blah blah -- all I can tell you is that just because every time you've ever been inside a bank it hasn't been robbed does not mean that banks have never been robbed. Can you understand that? Or should I use another analogy?
You really need to go back to your office and just sit in front of the mirror and stare at yourself.

Can you understand that, or do I need to use another analogy?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Scott, I'll ask you again: do you think just because you believe that you were not ripped off on four bids you made in the Goodwin auction that shill bidding does not exist? That hundreds of people have not been defrauded? That a grand jury investigating the Mastro fraud has determined that it has not occurred?

There are two people having this discussion about shill bidding and one hasn't a clue what he's talking about. Just admit that you are clueless and that one does not have to be paranoid to be concerned about shill bidding.

Last edited by calvindog; 11-12-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAcNp2vKV74

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Default sorry scott

Quote:
I think I'm getting sick. That was one of the 1872 cdv set that I sold about eight years ago, like an idiot. Those were really great little albumen cards.
Sorry that you let these go some time ago Scott. I'm super excited about acquiring it. I tried to get the Andy Leonard that sold as well... but it really jumped out of my price range.

Since there are only a handful of these out there and most are graded SGC AUTH, I'm just really excited to get this one that's graded a SGC 10/1.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:38 AM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Scott, and I'm serious -- I think many, many bidders don't leave ceiling bids on auctions because of the fear of fraud by the house. I suspect most would tell you that. It sucks that with the houses ending auctions at 5 am that leaving ceiling bids is not done due to the potential fraud which only serves to keep prices down. But the auctioneers have no one to blame but themselves.
I don't normally add to these types of discussions BUT...

I ALWAYS keep in mind how an auction house might MISUSE any information I provide to them. To think otherwise, I would be flying in the face of a lot of information that has already come out about auction houses. The phrase caveat emptor has been around a long time for good reason.

i'm not paranoid but I'm not going to give anyone a chance to rip me off either. If you can win the item either way, why would you choose the one with more risk intentionally? I have a price I'm willing to pay for something. So does the other guy. A ceiling bid isn't going to scare me away from bidding up to my max so why put it out there for someone to misuse?
Old 11-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmokramer View Post
Sorry that you let these go some time ago Scott. I'm super excited about acquiring it. I tried to get the Andy Leonard that sold as well... but it really jumped out of my price range.

Since there are only a handful of these out there and most are graded SGC AUTH, I'm just really excited to get this one that's graded a SGC 10/1.
It's funny how things go back and forth with their popularity. The original group was missing only Barnes, the Wrights and Spalding. I thought I was getting a steal, and ended up breaking even by the time I had sold all of them. I believe I held Leonard and McVey the longest.

Glad you got hold of one.

The auction strategy discussion was interesting. I quit reading after Calvin replaced me with a straw man. Discussions aren't meant to be 'won' - my apologies to all of you for reading past his first post, and for responding to any of them.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:56 PM
GaryPassamonte

I believe there are actually 15 players known from the 1872 Warren street clothes CdVs. They are H. Wright, G. Wright, Spalding, Barnes, Leonard, O'Rourke, Manning, Schafer, White, Birdsall, Sweasy, McVey, Gould, Rogers, and Ryan.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
I believe there are actually 15 players known from the 1872 Warren street clothes CdVs. They are H. Wright, G. Wright, Spalding, Barnes, Leonard, O'Rourke, Manning, Schafer, White, Birdsall, Sweasy, McVey, Gould, Rogers, and Ryan.
Here are the ones I knew about - if you click on a name and get a clear scan, it was one of the original cdv's I owned:

1872 Boston Red Stockings
Old 11-12-2011, 03:08 PM
GaryPassamonte

Yes, Scott. The six you had came out of a Robert Edward Auction in 2000, I believe.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 11-12-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:

The auction strategy discussion was interesting. I quit reading after Calvin replaced me with a straw man. Discussions aren't meant to be 'won' - my apologies to all of you for reading past his first post, and for responding to any of them.
So you quit reading -- but kept responding to the posts? Maybe Kreskin was helping you. And I hate to inform you, Scott, but you lost that "discussion" pretty badly.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Pete Sycks

I thought this was a pick-up thread.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I thought this was a pick-up thread.
Sorry, I hijacked it when I asked about bidding strategy. In hindsight, I should have started a separate thread.

For Pete, a return to vintage pick-ups:

Old 11-12-2011, 05:03 PM

Default last year

Quote:
Sorry, I hijacked it when I asked about bidding strategy. In hindsight, I should have started a separate thread.

For Pete, a return to vintage pick-ups:

I got this 46 Chevy within the last year. Original motor/interior. Low mileage, last owner had a farm and it never left the property in 15 years
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pickup.jpg (65.5 KB, 337 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Belltown Vintage

John, that's amazing - congrats on the pick-up.

I forgot you were such a huge Pirates fan. I picked up a number of Pirates cabinets the other day, several with Gibson. If interested in doing some horse-trading for spare t206's, let me know.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Trevor Hocking

WOW Scott on John posting in the same thread!!!! I thought I would completly derail this thread and post. This is the definition of old school. I dont post much but read everyday. The reason I dont post is because of threads like this but I thought I couldn't resist with scotts big come back. Nice to have back!!! Now back with the world ending and everyone is robbing me. LOL

Trevor Hocking (There Leon I put my name HEHE) Lighten upo everyone it's F'n baseball cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSS YEs my spelling stinks :-)
Old 11-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snider4prez View Post
WOW Scott on John posting in the same thread!!!! I thought I would completly derail this thread and post. This is the definition of old school. I dont post much but read everyday. The reason I dont post is because of threads like this but I thought I couldn't resist with scotts big come back. Nice to have back!!! Now back with the world ending and everyone is robbing me. LOL

Trevor Hocking (There Leon I put my name HEHE) Lighten upo everyone it's F'n baseball cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSS YEs my spelling stinks :-)

Holy Cow! It's a triumvirate of the dead posters club!!!

Trevor, I don't even know that this thread has gone to hell. When it reached critical mass, I began ignoring anything that looked controversial. I egged it on, so sorry about that. People like me are kind of why I stopped posting for the last six years.

Where are Bill Cornell and Elliott? What we really need is to get chat going again.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Trevor Hocking

LOL I am in the chatroom now and drinking heavly!!! Where is E Dog and Bill. Man this hobby could definetly use some old school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

I'm in, but at a coffee shop that doesn't sell alcohol
Old 11-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Trae Regan

So... about those Goodwin pickups.

Got beat out on something else I wanted, and overpaid on this one, but couldn't care less - dig it.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Matt Hall

I'm really surprised at the final price of the Charles Parsons Old Judge. I know it's an un catalogued pose, but there has to be more than that to warrant that much money, right?

Does anybody know why this card went so high?

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetai...polis-SGC-5-EX
Old 11-15-2011, 12:54 PM

Picked this one up...something was different about it, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Brian T.

That's awesome, Darren!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:14 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default A 4?

Hey Trae, how the hell is that Lavender a "4"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by T206.org View Post
So... about those Goodwin pickups.

Got beat out on something else I wanted, and overpaid on this one, but couldn't care less - dig it.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:31 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Picked this one up...something was different about it, but I just can't put my finger on it.

That card is amazing. How does that happen? I've seen misprints, but that's really wierd.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

it's in the pixels
Old 11-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
That card is amazing. How does that happen? I've seen misprints, but that's really wierd.
Easy, they took multiple shots of him for his card and on this one he ducked.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

funny stuff Darren!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Alan U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post

Looks like he's sinking in a "poole" of water
Old 11-16-2011, 11:27 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Great cards everyone.

John
Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Steve Murray

I like Darren's variation but even the original is weird:

Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM
MikeHealer

What a nice Weaver, very nice pickup Wonka.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:28 PM

Awesome Pickup on the Weaver. Beautiful card!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

that Weaver is special.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:10 PM

John- That Weaver is incredible. You are building a great old PCL collection with this card and the Obaks.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 PM

Took an early shot at the E107 Poole but went way too up for me.

Cool image.

Like the variation of Poole E107 also.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Robert Williams

I picked this one up for my Sport Kings set. Thought it was a good price....