NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default I think we all knew this already

Posted By: Bob

Keith Relf died in 1976??? Wow, I had no idea he had been dead for 30 years. I remember his stoic look while singing and those wrap around shades. I remember buying the black album with Shapes of Things, For Your Love, Smokestack Lightning, Over Under Sideways Down, etc. and playing it so many times it must have worn grooves.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Bob- if you ever get a chance to see the movie "Blow Up" the Yardbirds perform in it.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Jay,
How can anyone knock Led Zeppelin? Growing up in L.A. I saw X more times than I can count. And The Germs, Black Flag, The Dead Kennedys, and Social Distortion were all super-important bands. But that does not take anything away from Led Zeppelin for me.

By the way, are there any other Deadheads out there? I am a veteran of 80+ shows. I know of a few of you. Barry, did you see them again after 1969?
JimB

Old 08-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Zep is just not my type of music. If I never hear Stairway to Heaven again, it will be too soon. Too me, they were begining of the end of old school rock and were epitomy of the fat bloated corpse that rock became in the 70s. Punk brought back the edge and rebellion that was rock'n roll's original claim to fame. And here I am a techno geek now because techno/rave music is the only genre that is producing new and interesting sounds. Now most pop music is just rip offs of techno/rave beats.

Jay

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun."

Old 08-06-2006, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Yes, I saw the Dead a second time, at MSG in 1991. 80 times makes you a real Deadhead. My childhood friend, Sandy Troy, saw them over 300 times and wrote two books about them: "One More Saturday Night" and "Captain Tripps." Apparently, he is trying to get a movie made about Jerry Garcia's life. I will be seeing Sandy later this summer. On another note, for those who remember the wonderful 60's band "Love", Arthur Lee died on Thursday. Their album "Forever Changes" was one of rock's classics.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

The Beatles (one of my earliest memories is sitting in our kitchen after kindergarten eating baloney sandwich and chix noodle soup, listening to "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" on the tinny little radio). Love early Who and Stones, plus Joplin, Dylan somewhat, and way early Steely Dan and CSNY.

About 5 years ago I was listening to our Classic Rock stn, as always, and "Hotel California" came on for the umpteenth time, and suddenly this wave hit me like - you've been playing this for 30 years. Give it a rest.

So I checked out rap and even earlier rap. I do like 50 C, some Kid Rock, and as for Eminem ... I find some of his songs all but unlistenable, and others just stun me with the genius. Really.

And cards were stale gum, and look at who you got. If you got a Tiger, great. But if you didn't you could talk forever about who you got, who they were - didn't need any limited series, swatch of whatnot - until of course you put them in the bike spokes.

Joann

Old 08-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

"Cheap Thrills in the back of my car
Cheap Thrills how fine they are..."
-The Mothers of Invention

Barry: Along with Buffalo Springfield, the Youngbloods, Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks, Love is one of my top favorite sixties bands. Usually when a celebrity or public figure dies I take it in stride; none of us is getting out of here alive. But hearing that Arthur Lee died gave me pause to recall those wonderful, calamitous days and the hot-to-trot young man, now greying at the temples, parked on Mulholland Drive, in the company of one hollow-skulled teen strumpet or another, a bottle of panty remover and Love Da Capo on the 8-track. Que Vida!
Saw Love a couple of times at the Kaleidoscope down below Sunset. Arthur Lee was magic on that stage. Never thought back then that youth would end or that the culture would evolve to mutilated bodies and shirty music. R.I.P. Arthur Lee and one more nail in my coffin . . .

Good Love website:
http://www.love.torbenskott.dk/

Old 08-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

They're on tour with their original line up right now. I contemplated seeing them in Cleveland but it's too soon after the National.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Never got to see Love in person, but Da Capo is one great album. "Orange Skies" "Stephanie Knows Who" and "Revelation" were fantastic. One of the least known great bands. Sad to see Arthur Lee gone. I knew he was very sick. Springfield was perhaps my favorite LA band. Are there any better albums than "Buffalo Springfield Again"?

Old 08-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Zach, go see X. They put on a good show. It's worth it just to see Billy Zoom. Is Ray Manzerak on keys or the very first keyboard player?

Jay

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun."

Old 08-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

John Doe & Exene are fantastic in concert. I was lucky to see them in a small venue in Chicago. Frank Black is another you should check out. When he left The Pixies, he struck gold on his solo albums. He also produced a great musician named Johnny Polonski(spelled wrong?)out of Chicago. I'm a sucker for a power cord!

Old 08-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Baseball related tale, to stay in topic of the post:An older gentlemen moved into the neighborhood and we started talking about baseball and he told me he had these Bowman baseball cards and he said he was willing to part with them. He said he had a whole set. While the late 1940's and 1950's aren't my thing, I told him I could sell it for him. I assumed that they were in "enjoyed condition" and was expecting a fraction of a Willie Mays and a Mickey Mantle that went through the spokes several hundred times. When he started up my drive way, there it was under his left arm. A green brick. A factory 1989 Bowman set! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

In response to the hijacked threat: Okay, I can totally relate to the music tastes of the Board and I expect since Jay is "left of the dial", his music taste would be mine as I'm simply all over the place and tend to agree with him in this case as I prefer Jazz, old Blues, old Country and 1970's and 1980's punk. X is great, especially "Los Angeles". I am also a huge fan of "Black Flag" (as well as MC5, the Ramones...) and while Henry won't admit to our friendship after a gig five years ago and a long chat about Henry Miller, I will admit to our friendship!

I saw the Pixies two years ago in NYC and they were as amazing as ever! I have seen Black Francis/Frank Black live twice but nothing compares to the Pixies as a complete band --Wave of Mutilation is a must for beginners. Another underrated band are the Butthole Surfers IMO. The lyrics for "Moving to Florida" simply rock:

(I'm gonna potty train the chairman Mao/I'm gonna make the governor write my doodoo a letter, child./And I'm gonna grind me up a White Castle side out of India's sacred cow.

Best thread...ever? Better than those Equine threads!

DJ

Also great: MC5, Television, LedZep

Old 08-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Don't forget Bad Brains, the original all Black punk band.

Even if you are not into punk, check out the documentry Punk:Aattitude, it's well worth watching. This is the only thing I have ever seen that actually captures the essence of what punk was/is about.

My taste in music runs the gamut. For classical, I love Tchokovski, Hyden and Mendleson. Opera, Puccinni and Wagner. Rap mostly old school, Sugar Hill Gang, Run DMC, Cool Moe Dee. Metal/Guitar, AC/DC, Queen and Boston. Country, just Johnny Cash. The new ladies of country are pretty to look at, but that's it. I like Jazz, but don't have real favorites. The music I listen to most is techno/rave and 80x New Wave. I also do my own remixes.

Jay

Old 08-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Definately don't miss a chance to see X. They still put on a great show. Jay is right about seeing them with Billy Zoom on guitar again. FYI Ray Manzarek played on their first album and produced their first few, but I don't think he ever toured with them. He did join them on stage once or twice at the Whiskey back in the day. Growing up in L.A. had some advantages.
JimB

Old 08-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Barry and Bob - some of the great ones are still around fortunately.
Our music tastes are the same and I just saw John Fogerty last nite, and he blew the roof off of PNC Center in NJ.
Then when he came back for his encore, he told the crowd that he found some kid with a guitar backstage who wanted to sing with him,,,
"come on out here, Bruce",,,,, WOW!! what a great moment and a great way to end a fantastic show. They did a duet of Long Tall Sally.
I just saw Paul Simon a few weeks ago, and am seeing The Who, Stones and CSNY coming up.
The great music is still here, thank goodness.
Glad to know I am not the only one here who still loves it.
Almost as good as baseball,,, and before the concert I saw my Mets win a lucky one .

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Administrator

The only time I saw X live was in San Fran and Manzerak played with them. Not sure if I saw them at the Warfield or Filmore.

I'm not sure how the Mabuhay Gardens pulled it off, but about every three months for almost 2 years they would have Black Flag, Husker Du, Dead Kennedys and The Minutemen playing on the bill. Talk about 4 hours of mayhem

Jay

Old 08-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

That's cool about Fogerty, Richard. I saw Pearl Jam several years ago and Heart joined them for the encore and that was really neat.

An underrated performer IMO is Iggy Pop. I saw him in concert like ten years ago and I have never seen a man with more energy and was willing to throw himself into jagged items as he did. He was topless throughout and bleeding from all over the place. He was a kinder version of the late G.G Allin, but with the same "gusto" and energy.

After the concert I met him and he could not have been nicer. I was expecting the raucous version I saw on stage but he was soft spoken, humble and very polite.

DJ

Old 08-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Administrator

I saw Iggy Pop in 1969 when he was with Iggy and the Stooges. Forgot all about him.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Iggy is always a great show. Given all the things he ahs dived into over the years, I'm surprised him body isn't just one big scar.

I got to meet Pearl Jam and Eddy Veder at the MTV mausic awards back in ealry 90s (wanna say '93). This guy had the creepiest aura about him. I also got to met Kurt Kobane and if I was betting man, my money would have been on Veder to commit suicide instead of Kobane.

Jay

Old 08-08-2006, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david poses

you are speaking my language. 1985-1990 were my golden years of collecting. the thrill of opening a few wax packs hoping to get a dwight gooden was astounding. i stopped collecting in the early 90s when it got too expensive and confusing. about a month ago i couldnt sleep and for some reason, i was thinking about my abundance of wally joyner rookies and decided to see if some of my better cards were worth anything (just had a baby. need money). they were worthless, which led to a thought: if my cards are worthless, maybe the cards i always wanted but couldnt afford are also worthless, in which case, i could finally get the cards i couldn't afford back then. to my amazement, they are. except the t206s, which for some reason i always loved, and found myself buying up with a ferocity i hadn't felt since 1989. of course, it seems that in the 4 weeks since my first t206 purchase, the prices have gone up. figures. not into it for the money- into it for the fun. i guess i should try to assemble a set of 1985 topps instead.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I can't believe there's been a music thread running here for so long, and this is the first I'm seeing it. Anyway, I'd like to echo Jay's comments about the documentary "Punk: Attitude". It really is a tremendous look at one of the most exciting times in the evolution of rock. Sure, they left out a lot of important bands, and spent maybe a little too much time on a few that weren't quite as important, but aside from that it's a great film.

-Al