NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-19-2010, 07:15 PM

Default Forum Member on History Detectives

About six months ago I bought a program from Jackie Robinson's 1946 all-star tour. I thought it was a neat piece in part because it featured Jackie on an integrated all-star team playing in Major League Stadiums before his rookie year with the Dodgers. I submitted the program to the PBS show history detectives and they decided to feature it in a story. In May they flew me out to Cooperstown to Film the scenes and the story will air next Monday. This may have been the most interesting, exciting and strange occurrence in my collecting career. I haven;t seen the story yet but its sounds like there should be some interesting interviews and footage. The link below is to a Pittsburgh (where the game was player) newspaper article about the story. i hope you can all watch next week.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_694818.html
Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the post. That's really cool. History Detectives is my favorite show and I noticed Robinson was going to be on the next episode.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Dan Bretta

History Detectives is a great show. Congrats! Wes Cowan is one of the "detectives" and he also has an auction house that occasionally has some baseball memorabilia.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Mike Henson

I love HD and especially Elyse Luray
Old 08-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Barry Sloate

Never saw the show- what channel has it?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Jeremy W.

Default Barry

PBS. I've got my DVR set.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Jeremy.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Barry Blumenfeld

cool
Old 08-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I just set my DVR. Looking forward to it!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Default great show!

Hi Jason

I just watched the show on my DVR and it's great! I have watched this show in the past and really enjoyed it. Do you mind sharing your experiences with the show?

Jeff
Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 PM

Jeff

I'm glad that you enjoyed the show.

It was a wonderful but also very strange experience. First, the beautiful home that I am shown living in is in fact not my house. Its a home that viewers allowed to be used as a filming location in Cooperstown. The show fly me in on a Wed night but me up in the local Holiday Inn and did the filming on Thursday. Even though I only appear on camera for maybe a minute the filming took the better part of a day. The crew was great to work with and very patient. The conclusion of the story was not reveled until the end of the day. After the revel they then told me some of the info that they found and detailed the interviews that they conducted. I got to stay in Cooperstown until the Afternoon on Friday and was able to go through the Hall of Fame. After I got back to Milwaukee, the show emailed copies of alot of the materials they used which was very appreciated.

I was told when the show would be on but I was not shown the video until it aired-- I was a bit nervous-- but they did a great job of making me seem prepared and composed.

In all it was a great experience and I find it very rewarding that I was in a small way able to contribute to a program which educated a lot of people about a forgot part of the games past-- it was great to see the Negro League Footage and hear about the Newark Eagles. Also I got mentioned on Rob Neyers Blog - though he didn't seem to find the story very significant

Jason
Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 PM

Default Jason

That sounds like a great experience! It's funny you mention the house because when I was watching the show, I noticed how beautiful the house was and thought how lucky you were to own it! My wife and I went to Cooperstown in 2008 when Tony Gwynn was getting inducted and we both fell in love with the town. I have always thought since then, it would be a great place to buy a retirement home way down the line. I thought that the show was very well done and I always enjoy hearing the history of an artifact like yours.

Congrats!

Jeff
Old 08-27-2010, 08:55 PM

Very nice show. It looked like your scorecard was not scored. Did History Detectives (or you) ever find a box score for the game? I think they said Robinson hit a HR. Also, it would seem possible that they could have found someone who attended the game (maybe the child of someone who worked at the park, for example) but I guess not.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:41 AM

Very interesting story! For those who missed it, you can see the episode online here:
http://video.pbs.org/video/1565249292/
Old 08-28-2010, 05:17 AM

Default Jason

Great stuff Jason! Very cool!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:41 AM

Actually the scorecard was scored but the pencil notation doesn't come through that clearly on the scans -- i'll try to put some up later that show the scoring

Jason
Old 08-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Very neat scorecard, loaded with history. In the micro-film clip, you can see that the National League All-Stars were led by Honus Wagner. Congratulations.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 08-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Bill H@e1ig

In the Philadelphia area it's on tomorrow night @ 6 I believe
Old 08-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Barry Arnold

Default detective

Jason

great story!!
congratulations!!!

i love the forum getting great exposure in the media!!

best,

barry