NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Mike Oberl@nder

Default Can someone explain the grading on this card?

I am sitting in a meeting all morning so I decide to play around on eBay for a few minutes. While looking for Mathewson T206 cards, I found the following listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-T206-Ch...#ht_2800wt_898

I know I am relatively new to Net54, and relatively new to T206, but how does a card that is missing paper front and back, and missing an entire corner, get graded a 2?

I want to be clear that I am not being critical of the seller. In fact, the seller has listed several similar cards in PSA 1 holders. See, for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-T206-Ch...#ht_2865wt_898

I have read a few threads here and am even more convinced that it is important to buy the card and not the grade. In this situation (the PSA2), do people think this is an appropriate grade? Not being an "expert", I woudl have graded this card as Authentic. Just wondering what others think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mathewson psa2.jpg (62.1 KB, 886 views)
File Type: jpg mathewson psa1.jpg (23.1 KB, 885 views)
Old 12-20-2013, 12:49 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Chipped, dirty, paper loss...looks like that grader had a bit too much egg nog. I agree that Auth would have been the way to go. I would take that 1 in your other photo over over the 2 any day, twice on Sunday.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 12-20-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 PM
David Riley

I would take the 1 also. Better eye appeal all around
Old 12-20-2013, 06:25 PM
FredYoung

Levi just paid a little more for THAT one, that's all!
Old 12-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

They forgot to pick up their eyeglasses at Walmart
Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 AM
pete ullman

PSA is infallible...if they say its a 2...it's a 2.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Could been submitted at the same time, PSA put them in the wrong holders
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 12-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Ben North

Ok I will be the jerk. The PSA1 was submitted by a normal submitter and the PSA2 was submitted by 4 Sharp Corners. Just kidding we all know PSA does not give top submitters better grades.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Dave

Well, there's a picture right there. Anybody who bids on just the number deserves what they get IMO.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Glyn Parson

Default It's pretty simple

The 2 is over graded.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Well, there's a picture right there. Anybody who bids on just the number deserves what they get IMO.
+1

It always baffles me...how a subjectively generated sticker has the magical ability to make some grown men blind.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:37 PM

My guess is the grader had a little too much eggnog, saw two of the card and graded it based on the number of images he saw.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Doug Goodman

He should get Dmitri Young to resubmit it if he wants a "10".
Old 12-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Rob Ruddy

Default All Hail to PSA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
PSA is infallible...if they say its a 2...it's a 2.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Joe

Should have graded a PSA 3. 3 out of 4 corners are present.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Dan Marke1

What I find most telling about those scans is that neither card has sold in the past 5 years and will likely be many more years to come.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 12-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Fred

What? Nobody's heard of the saying that "a pictures worth a thousand words". Perhaps it crossed over from GAI (originally a 4 and knocked down to a PSA2).
Old 12-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
What I find most telling about those scans is that neither card has sold in the past 5 years and will likely be many more years to come.
I might have to rib Levi about this next time I see him. He's always a good sport about stuff. He's got stamina in displaying his cards, that's for sure. Reminds me of when I bring part of my collection to the National and put astronomical prices on them.....they aren't for sale and that is the best way to get people to quit asking how much for that doggy in the window .

To answer the first question. That 2 is not a 2.

Last edited by Leon; 12-26-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

In my opinion, clerical errors account for most of the obvious PSA mis-grades -- as opposed to inconsistencies in an otherwise subjective grading process.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:47 AM
pete ullman

how can you "assume" these are clerical errors...
Old 12-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Fred

When you say "clerical" errors, do you mean "typos"? The person types a "2" by accident (instead of a "1") and then proceeds to type the rest of the numerical description incorrectly? Never thought of that... I guess it happens often...
Old 12-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Not necessarily assuming it's a clerical error -- just my best guess -- and offering my opinion that it's more common than some might think.

By clerical error, I mean something as simple as a keying error. It could also be that two of the same issue were being graded at the time and the cards or flips were inadvertently switched. I see cards in incorrect holders (wrong description) all the time.

Regarding keying errors, I recently had two PSA 1s returned to me that clearly were not consistent with PSA 1 condition. In fact, they were closer (IMO) to PSA 10. Just for kicks, I cracked and resubmitted. One came back PSA 10 and the other PSA 7. In this case, my only logical conclusion was that the grades were simply mis-keyed. This has changed my thinking somewhat when I see a card that appears obviously misgraded.

Last edited by scotgreb; 12-26-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Edited to correct clerical errors :)
Old 12-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgreb View Post
Regarding keying errors, I recently had two PSA 1s returned to me that clearly were not consistent with PSA 1 condition. In fact, they were closer (IMO) to PSA 10. Just for kicks, I cracked and resubmitted. One came back PSA 10 and the other PSA 7. I this case, my only logical conclusion was that the grades were simply mis-keyed. This has changed my thinking somewhat when I see a card that appears obviously misgraded.
Or, maybe, they did it so that you would pay them for their opinion twice.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Daryl

Quote:
... Regarding keying errors, I recently had two PSA 1s returned to me that clearly were not consistent with PSA 1 condition. In fact, they were closer (IMO) to PSA 10. Just for kicks, I cracked and resubmitted. One came back PSA 10 and the other PSA 7. ...

Please post before and after scans of the PSA 1s (before) and PSA 7 / PSA 10 (after). As crazy and unbelievable as that sounds, I'm certain you took detailed scans.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Before and after scans . . . note that I upgraded my scanner in the meantime.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Following is the link to the original discussion on the PSA message board

http://forums.collectors.com/message...yword1=psa%201

Edited to add that I'm not trying to make this a bash PSA thread -- PSA cards are the foundation of my collection

I'm just pointing out a possible explanation of certain grading inconsistencies that some may not have considered.

Last edited by scotgreb; 12-26-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Edited to add comments re PSA
Old 12-29-2013, 06:18 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Before and after scans . . . note that I upgraded my scanner in the meantime.

Wow that's crazy!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 AM

Default Back scans

I checked out the back scans, and I think PSA meant to put those grades on them. I've been looking at a lot of T206 Cobbs in 1-3 grade lately, just doing research, and I've found that PSA *really* takes the backs into account, especially paper loss. I've found cards that appear 6+ on the front but paper loss on the back brought it to a 1. The 1 in question here does have bad staining on the back.

Please note, I'm not defending their grade, and actually believe the 2 and 1 should be flipped. Just offering one opinion that PSA gives a lot of weight to the back on T206's. Personally, I'd still rather have a nice front/bad back than anything with a corner chunk missing!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Mark

"Levi just paid a little more for THAT one, that's all!"

I hate to say it but he gets a lot of love from PSA, I bought a PSA 3 Napoleon T207 about 6 months ago that was unsealed at the top, I cracked it open and sent it to SGC. They promptly told me it was trimmed...which is was. I'll never do business again with him.

Sorry if this breaks the rules but I hate dishonest people.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:06 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I have to call BS

No way, I have actually submitted thousands of cards through Levi when I worked for him. I did not receive any better grading than when I submitted on my own. Levi may be able to get a review quicker and possibly free, especially if he gets a grader of death inovice, but I am sick of people on this board making baseless claims. Also one card is hardly a scientific study. If you are insinuating Levi sold you a card in an obvious cracked out holder again I'll have to say I do not believe you. Levi and I may have had a falling out but I NEVER saw anything close to that level of fraud in working for him for several years. I have had cards not cross from EVERY major grading service due to a trim job being missed. This does not mean Levi got a break nor does it mean PSA was fraudulent. As long as we have humans envolved in the process at any level their will be errors we are not perfect creatures.